Les Paul vs Strat

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23674
    Offset said:
    Why are most of the pictures used for reference of old/dead guitarists?
    Because there aren't many cool ones around these days :-)
    Gary Clarke Jr, Her, Kingfish, Jack White, John Mayer, Tim Henson, Sophie Lloyd, Marcus King... Loads of cool guitarists about!
    As Mr @Offset said, there aren't many cool guitarists around these days...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4386
    randella said:
    Offset said:
    randella said:
    Back to the OP, go buy a Strat. Job's a carrot :)
    Where was the exhibition???
    Museum of Modern Art, New York City. It was a coincidence, we were there for my dad's birthday and he wanted to see the museum anyway. Imagine a pair of guitar players finding this by accident! One of the museum staff was asking if we'd enjoyed our visit, we got to talking a bit, and he said that if we were interested in guitars we might want to head downstairs. 
    I don't think it was a permanent exhibition - we were there a few months before COVID kicked off (feels like a million years, in reality about three I think).

Not sure if that makes you feel better or worse - next time you're there, I'd say go to MoMA anyway. It's incredible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    Offset said:
    Gary Clarke Jr, Her, Kingfish, Jack White, John Mayer, Tim Henson, Sophie Lloyd, Marcus King... Loads of cool guitarists about!
    I know and have heard most of them - good players for sure, but not sure I'd describe any of them as 'cool'...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10389
    edited March 15
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    I know and have heard most of them - good players for sure, but not sure I'd describe any of them as 'cool'...
    I guess it depends on how you are quantifying it, but Jack White, Marcus King and Gary Clarke Jr absolutely are cool in my book. They look cool, play cool music, look good with a guitar, that's cool.

This guy doesn't look cool to you? It's like the epitome of cool if you ask me (need to stop saying cool now).

ACL Live Review Gary Clark Jr Hometown guitar hero catalyzes other  artists and genres - Music - The Austin Chronicle
    image.png 1.5M
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ^^ I'll give you that one :-)
    edited March 15
    Offset said:
    1 down! Yay!

What about Her? Performed with Usher at the Superbowl the other week, has a signature Strat, is a good player, has some great songs etc.

HER  Guitarcom  All Things Guitar
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29170
    This guy doesn't look cool to you? It's like the epitome of cool if you ask me (need to stop saying cool now).

ACL Live Review Gary Clark Jr Hometown guitar hero catalyzes other  artists and genres - Music - The Austin Chronicle
    He looks like he did a weekend residential course in looking cool. Which his mum bought him for his birthday.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's all just opinions, of course, but (IMO) the only cool person in that little list is Tim Henson.  And I'm not so sure about that, given his dreadful neck tattoos and dodgy taste in knitwear. 

Gary Clark Jr dresses like Mark Agnesi.

Offset said:
    1 down! Yay!

What about Her? Performed with Usher at the Superbowl the other week, has a signature Strat, is a good player, has some great songs etc.

Nope, sorry.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    edited March 15
    Personally, I cant stand Les Pauls.  I like how they sound dont get me wrong, but I dont like hoe they look, how they play, generally how much they weigh, the neck profile is wrong for me, I dont like ht balance.  

I owned one back ni about 97/98 to try and get used to these things - I just couldn't.   I resigned myself to this.

So - PRS for my Twin humbucker tones, Strat and strat shaped objects, Teles and Tele shaped objects - Im good.

When it comes to "icons".  Gilmore, Knopfler, hendrix (mostly), Blackmore, SRV, adrian smith and dave murray -  are all way cooler to me that slash - or any mostly LP  users TBH.  Even Pages best sounds to me are when hes using a Tele.

Lets face it - not a LP in sight:

https://i.imgur.com/fDuTf2n.jpg

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3429
    Offset said:
    1 down! Yay!

Cool apart from the overhyped and overblown Usher superbowl bit
    edited March 15
    Philly_Q said:
    It's all just opinions, of course, but (IMO) the only cool person in that little list is Tim Henson.  And I'm not so sure about that, given his dreadful neck tattoos and dodgy taste in knitwear. 

It's the other way round. Mark dresses like Gary Clarke Jr. One is a rock star, the other basically works in a guitar shop. If anyone is imitating anyone in this scenario, it's not Gary. lol 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 15
    Britney Howard of Alabama Shakes is also awesome AND cool!

Philly_Q said:

It's the other way round. Mark dresses like Gary Clarke Jr. One is a rock star, the other basically works in a guitar shop. If anyone is imitating anyone in this scenario, it's not Gary. lol 
    Well they both dress like snooze-blooze-rock bores, but I doubt either specifically models himself on the other.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6178
    munckee said:
    Les Pauls are basically a concrete ukelele for dad rock.
    Thanks, you've just completely cured my idle gas for a Les Paul Deluxe.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 15
    Well I like rock and roll guitarists and I think that Gary Clark Jr is pretty cool. 

When you start thinking everything is uncool, it might not be everything else that's uncool.  
    Strong Grandpa vibes here at the moment! 
    And you're excluding yourself from that....?
    edited March 15
    Well I like rock and roll guitarists and I think that Gary Clark Jr is pretty cool. 

When you start thinking everything is uncool, it might not be everything else that's uncool.  
    Dramatic change of post there. 

I think we're all going to be disappointed if we post lists of people we think are cool and expect anyone else to agree with us.
    edited March 15
    Philly_Q said:
    Yes. I'm trying to champion these artists. I'm absolutely not included in the 'nothing is cool anymore' crowd. Far from it, and I never will be!

It's not so much that it matters that people don't think what I think is cool, that's subjective, it's more the attitude that nothing is good anymore, when loads of stuff is good, you know. 

What/who do you think is cool, out of interest? 
    edited March 15
    Philly_Q said:
    Yes. I'm trying to champion these artists. I'm absolutely not included in the 'nothing is cool anymore' crowd. Far from it, and I never will be!

It's not so much that it matters that people don't think what I think is cool, that's subjective, it's more the attitude that nothing is good anymore, when loads of stuff is good, you know?

What/who do you think is cool, out of interest? 
    Who's saying "nothing is cool"?  We've just said - jokingly - that there aren't many cool guitarists any more, in the context of a Les Paul versus Strat discussion.

There's a difference between worth listening to, musically excellent even, and "cool".  I've got no argument with you championing those artists, I just don't think they're "cool", since that word was brought into the discussion. 

And as I said, I'm not going to list people I think are "cool" because I don't expect anyone to agree with me.  I know they're not cool in any objective sense.

Edited to respond to your updated post:  Definitely nobody has said "nothing is **good** anymore".  That's a big extrapolation.