Les Paul vs Strat

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10389
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Strong Grandpa vibes here at the moment! 
    And you're excluding yourself from that....?
    Yes. I'm trying to champion these artists. I'm absolutely not included in the 'nothing is cool anymore' crowd. Far from it, and I never will be!

It's not so much that it matters that people don't think what I think is cool, that's subjective, it's more the attitude that nothing is good anymore, when loads of stuff is good, you know?

What/who do you think is cool, out of interest? 
    Who's saying "nothing is cool"?  We've just said - jokingly - that there aren't many cool guitarists any more, in the context of a Les Paul versus Strat discussion.
    I'll let you off then, only because (I think) we share the same first name, or at the very least your username sounds a bit like my name. It's gotta count for something. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23674
    edited March 15
    I'll let you off then, only because (I think) we share the same first name, or at the very least your username sounds a bit like my name. It's gotta count for something. 
    Philips of the world unite?
    Philly_Q said:
    Philips of the world unite?
    Let's take shit over. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14808
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    ^^ I'll give you that one :-)
    1 down! Yay!

What about Her? Performed with Usher at the Superbowl the other week, has a signature Strat, is a good player, has some great songs etc.

HER  Guitarcom  All Things Guitar
    Nope, sorry.
    I agree trying to hard to look cool - Checks in the mirror first but isn't cool - I'm going to be called sexist now - But Gary Clarke Junior pic and he does 'nail' cool
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 359
    Why focus on the looks? All the best bands use a Tele for rhythm, and a Les Paul for lead.  :)
    edited March 15
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    ^^ I'll give you that one :-)
    1 down! Yay!

What about Her? Performed with Usher at the Superbowl the other week, has a signature Strat, is a good player, has some great songs etc.

HER  Guitarcom  All Things Guitar
    Nope, sorry.
    I agree trying to hard to look cool - Checks in the mirror first but isn't cool - I'm going to be called sexist now - But Gary Clarke Junior pic and he does 'nail' cool
    If you'd have said sexy, I'd agree but no, you're not sexist. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11522
    Philly_Q said:
    Well I like rock and roll guitarists and I think that Gary Clark Jr is pretty cool. 

When you start thinking everything is uncool, it might not be everything else that's uncool.  
    Dramatic change of post there. 

I think we're all going to be disappointed if we post lists of people we think are cool and expect anyone else to agree with us.

Maybe we need the rule Top Gear had for their Cool Wall.  Anything we own is automatically uncool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Well I like rock and roll guitarists and I think that Gary Clark Jr is pretty cool. 

When you start thinking everything is uncool, it might not be everything else that's uncool.  
    Dramatic change of post there. 

I think we're all going to be disappointed if we post lists of people we think are cool and expect anyone else to agree with us.
    Maybe we need the rule Top Gear had for their Cool Wall.  Anything we own is automatically uncool.
    I think that would be pretty much true for me, if we're taking it that we "own" our musical heroes.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    Apple vs orange

your mum vs your dad etc
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 643
    I love them both almost equally. I find myself playing one type for days and suddenly pick up the other for days, interspersed with a Tele 33x, PRS, an acoustic (usually for 30mins tbh).... then rinse and repeat :)

There's something though about a Les Paul on a stand with the selector on bridge that just looks right and screams play me!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited March 17
    Have primarily been a humbucker PRS/LP player since forever but now much prefer the character and tonal variety of strat style guitars (Suhr) - single coils have a real bite and I like it (ofc HSS....)
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2280
    Having had a strat and a lp since 2004 and bought a tele this year you can guess my answer. 

Some players stick to one guitar and some mix and match. I like rics and gretsches as well.

Horses for courses
  • I like both, but as I'm almost entirely a humbucker guy, it would be a Les Paul every time for me. Nothing else is quite like a Les Paul. It's iconic.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Why are most of the pictures used for reference of old/dead guitarists?
    Because there aren't many cool ones around these days :-)
    Gary Clarke Jr, Her, Kingfish, Jack White, John Mayer, Tim Henson, Sophie Lloyd, Marcus King... Loads of cool guitarists about!
    As Mr @Offset said, there aren't many cool guitarists around these days...
    That Collier kid?
    blueskunk said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Gary Clarke Jr, Her, Kingfish, Jack White, John Mayer, Tim Henson, Sophie Lloyd, Marcus King... Loads of cool guitarists about!
    That Collier kid?
    Well there's a whole thread about him, so maybe best not to kick it off again here... but is he "cool"?  Music apart, he looks and sounds like a 1990s pre-schoolers' TV presenter.  
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 852
    edited March 17
    David Eering is pretty cool. 

m.youtube.com/watch?v=JQeZhbMz_jM
    Philly_Q said:
    blueskunk said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    That Collier kid?
    Well there's a whole thread about him, so maybe best not to kick it off again here... but is he "cool"?  Music apart, he looks and sounds like a 1990s pre-schoolers' TV presenter.  
    Hard agree lol. 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 852
    John frusciante is a cool strat player.