Meeting your hero's......

What's Hot

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    edited March 14
    I got to chat up Quest Love for a couple minutes at Dulles.  I’d seen The Roots at a local venue a couple years earlier where some minor shit went down, so that was fun.  Oh, and he had recently been interviewed in Black Power Mix Tape, which was some solid behind the scenes footage of Stokely Carmichael.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5064
    edited March 14
    Met Marianne Vos "backstage" at Le Tour de France, she was lovely (and very tiny!), and nearly got run over by Tony Martin shortly after. Chris Hoy at work not too long ago - we both agreed Kirkby Velodrome in Liverpool was "a bit shit", lol.

Kind of guitar related, but Allan Holdsworth bought me a pint after a gig in the 90's. Him and Jeff Berlin were doing autographs in the bar and I, knowing Allan was a massive bike nerd, asked about his current bike instead of what strings he uses, so he bought me a pint and we had a a brief chat about all things bike  
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7010
    I saw stood behind Paul Young in the Costa queue at a motorway services. He was constantly looking round (hoping to be recognised) we all ignored making eye contact…. Take that you fucker!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12294
    viz said:
    ESBlonde said:

I met Paul shuttleworth (Kursal flyers) who wrote little does she know. A very nice guy. Did sound with him in the Ugly guys.

@Emp_Fab ’s favourite song. 
    Don't be daft... @Emp_Fab 's favourite song is "Down in the DLR Station at Midday..."
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 800
    I kicked nick faldo in the nuts! 
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5773
    edited March 14
    Haven't met many of my heroes but I've chatted backstage with Pat Travers and his band a few times, I was quite close with Kirk McKim for a while and he would suggest getting me on the guest list.

I once took my mother to one of his shows, she really enjoyed it and she had the opportunity to say hi to him after the show, she told him, "It was very good but it's not really the kind of music you can sing along to, is it?"

I almost died on the spot, but he was very gracious about it and promised to address her feedback.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    I met Jimmy White (snooker player) in the queue for an easyjet flight. 
    He was a total gent - he bought a spare seat to get a bit of extra room and offered it to me as I was travelling with a toddler.
    I asked if he was travelling for business or pleasure, he replied "for me, it's the same thing". 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    edited March 14
    I've never had a chat-over-a-drink scenario like people are talking about, but I have said hello and shook hands with Mick Box and Vernon Reid (on separate occasions).  That's all I've got. 

Oh no, hang on, I have been in a lift with Mark Owen from Take That.  He's not a hero though.  Except in a "short person in music" sense.

I still kick myself that I had an opportunity to chat to Rick Derringer but I was too nervous.  It would've been like meeting my doppelganger** and I think that's meant to be bad luck.

(** that's for @Offset's benefit.   )
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 374
    edited March 14
    Tony and Geezer in a pub on the Never Say Die tour in 1978 when I was 17 or 18 was kind of mind blowing, they were absolute gents. We even got my friend’s brother (who couldn’t be there as he had broken his arm) on the line on a payphone in the pub and they chatted to him briefly. It took us a while to persuade him that it was really them. You have to imagine the brummie accent… ‘hello John it’s Tony Iommi’!!!! :-)

Steve Hillage and Mike Howlett (Gong) somewhere along the line.

Lemmy a year or so later in the Bomber tour bought us a round as we were broke from getting there and getting in.

Lent Dave Brock an amp and space echo at Stonehenge in 1984 and chatted to Nik also the same year. Thinking about it I met Simon King in 1980 too so that’s a large chunk of vintage Hawkwind. All just regular friendly Dudes

Met a fair few other known musos over the years but I think the term ‘hero’ belongs to my younger days
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    I saw Babs Windsor in Baker Street London about 25 years ago…..She looked up, I smiled (as I recognised her), and we passed each other without a word….I’ll never forget my moment with her…..and yes, you can all use that as a dinner party anecdote if you like…. :3
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7010
    I’ve met and hung out with some of my heroes over the years.
    Heres a few.
    Noel Redding used to rent a house from my parents when he formed Fat Mattress.
    Paul McCartney. 
    Jeff Beck.
    Steve Harley.
    Henry McCullough.
    Denny Lane.
    Mud.
    John Martyn .
    Nick Drake.
    Philip Goodhand Tate.
    Elton John.
    Mick Ronson.
    David Bowie.
    Rod Stewart he’s not a hero tho.
    All the Stones but mostley Mick.
    All of Family.
    Monty Python.
    Danny Kustow guitarist with TRB.
    The original & later Motörhead line up.
    Hank Marvin.
    Michael Caine.Not a lot of people know that 
    Were you a hooker or a dealer? ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1829
    I’ve met, bumped into, chatted to and generally been close to quite a lot of different famous people from their fields but they’ve generally not really been heroes (Dear God please change the thread title) of mine. I don’t really have that many proper heroes but the closest I’ve got was chatting for a couple of hours with Nick McCabe. 

Sadly a couple of my other heroes are no longer with us. Colin McRae and Richard Burns. 

I think I’d probably be a bit awkward and star struck if I ever met John Squire and I’m not sure how easily conversation would flow. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8839
    viz said:  I had sausages with Rat Scabies once.
    In 1977 he asked me to play bass in a band he was forming. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4686
    Had a brief telephone conversation with Kelly Osbourne yes Ozzie's daughter (still have her mobile number somewhere)
    My wife was on Project Catwalk, and had been way for a month or two filming. They had to hand in their phones and we're not allowed contact with the outside world 
    It happened to be my birthday so Kelly lent my wife her phone and had a brief chat before she handed the phone to my wife.
    Also gave Kylie a peck on the cheek. Wife being Australian and they frequented the same gym in Chelsea (before we got married). Austrians tend to stick together. They both came out at the same time, so I was introduced, 

My best mate works with a guy who is drinking buddies with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page. My best mate is livid with envy!

I’m loosely friends with Luke Evans’ dad. He’s a nice bloke. 

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 800
    viz said:

I had sausages with Rat Scabies once.
    Tesco's own? 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2842
    I got a kiss from Hayley Westenraa at Twickenham once (and an autograph) , she was happy to chat too.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12406
    Philly_Q said:

I still kick myself that I had an opportunity to chat to Rick Derringer but I was too nervous.  It would've been like meeting my doppelganger** and I think that's meant to be bad luck.

(** that's for @Offset's benefit.   )
    Can't believe I'm reading this @Philly_Q ; :o

I met Rick Derringer once. He was alright, signed an album for me but it ended up being Christian rock so never listened to it again. 

His wife was pretty. 

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12406
    Haych said:
    I met Rick Derringer once. He was alright, signed an album for me but it ended up being Christian rock so never listened to it again. 

Oooooh :-(