Meeting your hero's......

What's Hot
FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 578
So, I am getting meet one of my hero's for the umpteenth time soon.
I have bought one of his guitar straps and he's passing by and has offered to drop it into me on the way!

Name; Snail Pace Slim. 

Did I say I'm excited? Jeepers I am!

Gary Moore played my LP Custom Shop 58, leftie, in GAK. Upside down! 
I nearly cried it was dream like. 

They say never meet yours but I want to hear the sound of names clanging on the floor..
If I had talent, I'd be talented.
Red meat and functional mushrooms.
Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
FX Plex - Cornell Romany
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1503
    I’m sorry. But it’s heroes. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5796
    Not necessarily. I’ve met David Gilmour’s bass player a time or two. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10720
    edited March 13
    Slim’s a lovely guy! They all are. See if you can get the hamstercaster too.

I had sausages with Rat Scabies once.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3010
    I went round to Richard Sinclair's house once, but he wasn't in, he was out pricing up a kitchen fitting job. I met his wife Heather and she was lovely. She made me a cup of tea and showed me her new pottery kiln.

His bass (that his dad Dick Sinclair made) was hanging up on the wall in the lounge and they were drying out the Hatfield and the North master tapes by the gas fire ready for a compilation of rare stuff they were planning to issue. I stumbled into the fireplace by accident and almost toasted the tapes.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11992
    Ha!  I bought a pedal from Slim a while back.  He's one of my heroes too, and although we didn't meet in person he came across as a really nice guy.

I did however meet one of my heroes for a beer a couple of years ago - Steve Cropper :-)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    edited March 13
    This peaked my interest because comments like this are highly sort after. I should of thought of it myself, top draw!
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1458
    Jesus H - you met Cropper?! Spill please.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12423
    edited March 13
    Slim is indeed a very nice bloke. I saw he’d put some straps up for sale recently, take it it’s one of the ones with musical notes on? 

I was a huge fan of the Hamsters and saw them dozens of times all over the country. I’ve got various bits and pieces signed by Slim and the band. Andy (Zsa Zsa) the bassist is a mate and came to our wedding. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I've done sound for the hamsters a couple of times, nice guys.
    I met Paul shuttleworth (Kursal flyers) who wrote little does she know. A very nice guy. Did sound with him in the Ugly guys.
    A real pleasure was Big Jim Sullivan the session guitarist, Mild mannered and kind in the extreem.
    I chickened out on meeting Nile Rodgers when I had access all areas for one of his concerts. Sometimes it's best not to break the spell  at least that's what I told myself.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10720
    edited March 13
    ESBlonde said:

I met Paul shuttleworth (Kursal flyers) who wrote little does she know. A very nice guy. Did sound with him in the Ugly guys.

@Emp_Fab ’s favourite song. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 13
    ESBlonde said:
    I've done sound for the hamsters a couple of times, nice guys.
    A real pleasure was Big Jim Sullivan the session guitarist, Mild mannered and kind in the extreem.
    I chickened out on meeting Nile Rodgers when I had access all areas for one of his concerts. Sometimes it's best not to break the spell  at least that's what I told myself.
    Slim was in the Kursaals for a while too, pre Hamsters. 
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 578
    boogieman said:
    Slim is indeed a very nice bloke. I saw he’d put some straps up for sale recently, take it it’s one of the ones with musical notes on? 

I was a huge fan of the Hamsters and saw them dozens of times all over the country. I’ve got various bits and pieces signed by Slim and the band. Andy (Zsa Zsa) the bassist is a mate and came to our wedding. 
    I can't recall which I bought. All I know is that it's purple.

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11992
    GoFish said:
    Jesus H - you met Cropper?! Spill please.
    PM'd and beans spilled :-)
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1503
    This peaked my interest because comments like this are highly sort after. I should have thought of it myself, top draw!
    Next time, don’t use so much glue. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1247
    I could name drop plenty mountain bikers, and some other cyclists.

However Ryan Leech is probably the one I'd most likely class as a Hero. He was doing what Danny MacAskill does, long before Danny ever started filming. (13) Ryan Leech in Kranked 6 Progression - YouTube or there was his Praque videos, but I can't remember what film they were part off.

I've told Mark Beaumont that his name wasn't on an entry list, and asked if he was sure that he had entered the event. Until somebody nudged me, and I actually looked up and realised who it was, as he had been the guest speaker the night before.
    At the next event I seen Mark at, he asked me if I wanted his name or not :#

Danny MacAskill is a sound guy, and I've been at a few events we've both been working at. Although the most memorable chat I had with him, was out mountainbiking with a mate, and we bumped into him. I had a quick chat with him, discussed a couple trails, and he headed off. I turned to look at the mate, who was stood completely awestruck, and all he could mutter was, "You know Danny?" 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11975
    I went to see Roy Harper at a one-off studio/TV filming performance at a studio.
    The deal was he sat a table and you could go and have a chat with him afterwards.
    I thought it was a bit artificial, what would I say that was normal conversation and/or that he hadn't heard before, and so thought he'd appreciate one less person to have to entertain.
  • manicguitaristmanicguitarist Frets: 380
    edited March 14
    I've shared a few beers with Bruce Dickinson.
    It was a 2 day fencing competition with a meal the evening after day 1.
    He's a lovely bloke. Very intense but completely unpretentious. 
    Happy to buy the beers, happy to have a beer bought for him. No "treat me like a rockstar" - just happy sitting down after a day's hard exercise and bitching about aches and pains and comparing bruises. Happy taking the piss because I smelled of deep heat ("Ah - here's Mark, I could smell him before he arrived") - and happy having the piss taken out of him (my reply: "At least I smell like I had a shower").
    Top bloke.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3145
    Does this count?

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Does this count?

Shame he’s touching the D tuner, or it could’ve been captioned “Tony Blackburn caught fiddling with somebody’s g string”. 

Have a wow.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1458
    Saw Macca in the street - at that moment just thought, "let the man have a stroll on a Sunday" - feel good about my choices.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom