Meeting your hero's......

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22971
    Offset said:
    Haych said:
    I met Rick Derringer once. He was alright, signed an album for me but it ended up being Christian rock so never listened to it again. 
    Oooooh :-(
    Yes, unfortunately he has gone somewhat off the rails in recent years (by which I mean the last quarter century or so...).  I still love what he did he the '70s and '80s though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11824
    ^^ Yes, me too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    I get to talk to a fair few peeps through my work, although contact is professional and across a broad range. I am also generally pretty nervous to meet anyone I am genuinely dotty about.

But...

I recently got to properly spend time with Hugh Cornwell. Given I have been nuts about The Stranglers (strictly 1976 to 1986) since I bought Peaches back in the day - this was a big deal. And have to say that he was warm, charming, funny and super informative/interested.

Hugh signed my copies of Black and White and Nosferatu, and's a very genial host. Plus he played a blinder of a show.

Thrilled from Bath.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313

Also gave Kylie a peck on the cheek. ....... Austrians tend to stick together. They both came out at the same time, so I was introduced, 

I'm trying to work out who gay Kylie with an Arnie Schwarzenegger accent is?   :D 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Pjon said:

Also gave Kylie a peck on the cheek. ....... Austrians tend to stick together. They both came out at the same time, so I was introduced, 

I'm trying to work out who gay Kylie with an Arnie Schwarzenegger accent is?   :D 
    Rebel Wilson.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Weirdly, I've bumped into plenty of famous people over the years, some have been nice, some less so, with loads of rugby players and cyclists because of where I live and what I do, but a few years ago I was invited to the Tusk Conservation Lecture in London.

Early in the evening I was introduced to Pam St Clement (Pat Butcher - I don't watch Eastenders, but she was nice enough), and the wildlife film-maker Simon King. I think there was a dinner and then lectures from various people, among them Tony FitzJohn. I had no idea who he was until he started talking about his conservation work in Africa with the Adamsons and Elsa the lioness, etc. He was the bloke who helped them and carried on after they died. A lightbulb came on in my head, and later I wandered over to him and thanked him - because of his work in the 70s I got interested in nature and the environment and that's been a big part of my life since then. I said to him that if I hadn't unwittingly been influenced by him, and people like him, I wouldn't have got any qualifications in biology. 'I can't stand biologists', he said, and then explained why before grumpily wandering off. It was a bit weird meeting a hero that I didn't know I had, and then finding out that he was just a fallible human! :D 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    mrkb said:
    I’ve met and hung out with some of my heroes over the years.
    Heres a few.
    Noel Redding used to rent a house from my parents when he formed Fat Mattress.
    Paul McCartney. 
    Jeff Beck.
    Steve Harley.
    Henry McCullough.
    Denny Lane.
    Mud.
    John Martyn .
    Nick Drake.
    Philip Goodhand Tate.
    Elton John.
    Mick Ronson.
    David Bowie.
    Rod Stewart he’s not a hero tho.
    All the Stones but mostley Mick.
    All of Family.
    Monty Python.
    Danny Kustow guitarist with TRB.
    The original & later Motörhead line up.
    Hank Marvin.
    Michael Caine.Not a lot of people know that 
    Were you a hooker or a dealer? ;)
    Laugh No.
    I met lots of famous people through family & there friends in the 60s and through work in the 70s.
    I met Miles Davis when I was 11 and Jimi Hendrix when I was a teenager round a friends house jamming.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5003
    yocky said:
    I've shared a few beers with Bruce Dickinson.
    It was a 2 day fencing competition with a meal the evening after day 1.

Where's @Reverend ? He said in a previous thread that he once beat Dave Murray at Scalextric and it's stuck with me ever since. Who'd have thought that the forum had had so many niche sporting interactions with Maiden. I'd love to say I used to be on a Kabbadi team with Nicko McBrain but that would be a lie.
    true story. My old flat mate used to work for EMI and got me tickets for the launch party for Dance Of Death
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 846
    I took beer with Maartin Allcock about 20 years ago, when he was touring with Kieran Halpin. Great fella ... wonderful stories from a colourful life indeed ... he liked a pint too so we had a proppa bloke's discussion about beer, just standing at the bar.

Very saddened by his death a few years back :-1: 
    stufisher said:
    I took beer with Maartin Allcock about 20 years ago, when he was touring with Kieran Halpin. Great fella ... wonderful stories from a colourful life indeed ... he liked a pint too so we had a proppa bloke's discussion about beer, just standing at the bar.

Very saddened by his death a few years back :-1: 
    Yeah, he was a nice bloke. I didn't have beer with him, but chatted after a Fairport gig years ago. Dave Pegg was sound as well. (They all were, but those two stood out.)
    Reverend said:
    yocky said:
    I've shared a few beers with Bruce Dickinson.
    It was a 2 day fencing competition with a meal the evening after day 1.

Where's @Reverend ? He said in a previous thread that he once beat Dave Murray at Scalextric and it's stuck with me ever since. Who'd have thought that the forum had had so many niche sporting interactions with Maiden. I'd love to say I used to be on a Kabbadi team with Nicko McBrain but that would be a lie.
    true story. My old flat mate used to work for EMI and got me tickets for the launch party for Dance Of Death
    My brother was once at a promotional event for Schwarzkopf hair colours and he got me Nicko McBrain's autograph.  I don't know what shade of blonde Nicko prefers.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7797

I have Una Healey's number somewhere.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Ozzie744Ozzie744 Frets: 38
    Queen had a Meet & Greet before a show at Madison Square Garden in 1982. I was lucky enough to meet all four members. Every one of them a nice guy. They all took the time to chat with the fans, shake hands, pose for photos and sign autographs.

I have met Rick Derringer a number of times too. First time was hanging around the back door of a club he played at. Very nice guy, took a few photos with us and chatted for about 10 minutes. Have also met him numerous other times at guitar shows. Always friendly and willing to talk.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    edited March 15
    Not music related but I met Bruce Kent, the director of CND and human rights activist, several times. Lovely man with a huge brain, big heart and an absolutely wicked sense of humour. Awesome eyebrows too. I took this photo of him in the back garden of his house on a gorgeous summer’s day. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4151
    edited March 15
    I Met Albert Lee for first time back in early 90s at Borderline club in London, couple of guitarists from Iron Maiden were there as well to watch Albert, but not sure who they were. 
    I also met that guitarist who I think plays for Bon Jovi, not Sambora. He was at Birmingham show a few years back when Fretboard were there I think. I didn’t know him I was talking to Bob from Rosetti , he used to be my Gibson rep when I had a guitar shop. He knew Bob so Bob introduced me, I was still none the wiser. 
    But weirdly I have also met Slim Whitman at Cardiff, and Jon Pertwee on set of Dr Who and the Green Death. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    Colin Moulding out of XTC made me a sandwich once. It's all been downhill since then.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    I met a USAF B24 Navigator at Duxford a couple of years back.

He has been part of a crew whose aircraft went down on take off, seven killed, he and two others escaped.

I shook his hand and said "thank you sir".

That was meeting a hero for me.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Stuckfast said:
    Colin Moulding out of XTC made me a sandwich once. It's all been downhill since then.
    He was always making sandwiches for Nigel .
  • I got to poke around in Rod Stewart’s model railway workshop as part of a job I was working on.

A few years back I met Michael Palin at an event hosted by the Royal Geographical Society. He was charming and far more interested in finding out what had brought us all there than talking about himself.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 373
    edited March 16
    I've sat at a table and had a beer with Tom Heyman who was once a guitar player in Chuck Prophet's band, with Dan Stuart who Chuck Prophet once played guitar for.

The first two mentioned are touring the UK right now.

I've met Howe Gelb several times. Are they my heroes? Probably not.

Just a meet fest? Probably yes, most of the others from my life are comedians, or people living their real lives.

My other half is smashing her way through a tough time. She's my hero.