Netflix recommendation

What's Hot

Comments

• euaneuan Frets: 1521
    The fall out from Baby Reindeer will be interesting, because it appears he made up the convictions she received, and made her easily identifiably. 

Apparently she is really going off on Facebook. 

And the comedy producer has/hasn’t been identified and Gadd himself is DMing people asking them to remove the individuals name specifically 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1508
    euan said:
    The fall out from Baby Reindeer will be interesting, because it appears he made up the convictions she received, and made her easily identifiably. 

And the comedy producer has/hasn’t been identified and Gadd himself is DMing people asking them to remove the individuals name specifically 
    Oh dear. I thought all that would’ve been sorted pre-shoot! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7136
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    King Richard is on there, I enjoyed it.

The story of Venus and Serena Williams' upbringing and rise to success thanks to their determined but overbearing father.

It's kind of long but very watchable. No real story arc (highs and lows) but it doesn't matter too much as the actuality of what they achieved speaks for itself. It's essentially a vehicle for Will Smith so if you're not a fan maybe don't bother but I think he's a fine actor.

3 out of 5 grand slams!
    Can’t really watch him post Oscar slap. 
    Really? Why?
    Thought it would be obvious, Tony!
    It wasn't, that's why I asked. Are there other actors you won't watch?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2621
    euan said:

I watched and enjoyed it. However it was pretty obvious that the way the internet is these days, there were significant risks attached. Arguably quite irresponsible of Netflix to have made it.
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

The story of Venus and Serena Williams' upbringing and rise to success thanks to their determined but overbearing father.

It's kind of long but very watchable. No real story arc (highs and lows) but it doesn't matter too much as the actuality of what they achieved speaks for itself. It's essentially a vehicle for Will Smith so if you're not a fan maybe don't bother but I think he's a fine actor.

3 out of 5 grand slams!
    Really? Why?
    Yes. And musicians I won’t listen to. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7136
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

3 out of 5 grand slams!
    Really? Why?
    Yes. And musicians I won’t listen to. 
    Bobby Crush?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2810
    ewal said:
    ewal said:
    I watched Baby Reindeer too and it is extremely powerful stuff.

Although I do slightly struggle to get my head round someone playing himself in a Netflix hit, dramatically portraying such a traumatic period in his life. I hope he, and the others in the story, are able to deal with that.
    I did sorta think that these less savoury side effects of making a Netflix hit out of traumatic true story were inevitable....

The dangerous fallout from Baby Reindeer: should Richard Gadd have been less honest about his abusers? | Television | The Guardian
    I think there’s something deeply questionable about the whole thing.  No one seems bothered, including the police it would seem, that despite his apparent horror of his stalker and having even involved the police he then turns up at her home uninvited and has passionate sex with her?!  He justifies it by claiming it sorts out his confused sexual feelings with respect to a transsexual and it never gets mentioned again?  Equally, going back to his abuser at the end seemed more to do with scripts and promoting himself in the industry.  If you genuinely feel you’ve been abused like that it would seem more appropriate to go to the police about it, not make a TV show for fame and fortune?  There’s exploitation on all sides it seems to me.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6542
    thebreeze said:
    ewal said:
    ewal said:

Although I do slightly struggle to get my head round someone playing himself in a Netflix hit, dramatically portraying such a traumatic period in his life. I hope he, and the others in the story, are able to deal with that.
    I did sorta think that these less savoury side effects of making a Netflix hit out of traumatic true story were inevitable....

The dangerous fallout from Baby Reindeer: should Richard Gadd have been less honest about his abusers? | Television | The Guardian
    I think there’s something deeply questionable about the whole thing.  No one seems bothered, including the police it would seem, that despite his apparent horror of his stalker and having even involved the police he then turns up at her home uninvited and has passionate sex with her?!  He justifies it by claiming it sorts out his confused sexual feelings with respect to a transsexual and it never gets mentioned again?  Equally, going back to his abuser at the end seemed more to do with scripts and promoting himself in the industry.  If you genuinely feel you’ve been abused like that it would seem more appropriate to go to the police about it, not make a TV show for fame and fortune?  There’s exploitation on all sides it seems to me.
    I kinda thought that was the point he was making? It starts off with us thinking, “Cor, she’s nuts…What is she thinking?!” but before we know it, we’re thinking the same - arguably more so - about him. 
    To me, it’s not the story of a stalker, it’s the story of a man’s mental breakdown. The stalker is just a factor in it.

About the only person who comes out of it well is the trans woman. Refreshing to see her portrayed as a nuanced character and not just a token innuendo.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1320
    thebreeze said:
    ewal said:
    ewal said:

Does he?  I thought that was just a fantasy sequence. 

I didn't like it but we couldn't stop watching it.  It's obvious that they are both in need of help from the getgo because nobody in their right mind would allow someone so obviously disturbed to attach themselves like that.  It's not a stalker tale, it's two mentally unwell people simultaneously supporting and triggering one another in a really volatile way.  It has parallels with addiction which to be fair are quite well explored later on. 

I thought 3 Body Problem was rubbish. 

Interesting premise, some great scientific fantasy, I loved the quantum entanglement explanation, but then there's just some really stupid stuff which ruins it.

I think it lost me, really, with the Michael Bay ship attack.  So gratuitous, and not even that well done from a vfx perspective, but most of all there is no way that 'Auggy' would be persuaded that this is the best way to destroy a single cargo vessel.  It's over elaborate, it's slow, it's grotesque, it's obviously going to kill everyone aboard.  She just goes along with it and occasionally makes a little complaint. 

They also believe that they are being watched, and  don't know that they aren't going to be stopped at this point.  The sophon could tweak the manufacturing of any element of the ridiculous frames or the fibre imperceptibly to make it fail.  They know this and still persist with this stupid scheme just because it looks cool (which it actually doesn't anyway).

I liked the idea of far distant impending attack, though, and the recruitment stuff was interesting too, although it's laid on a bit thick with the "Lord" stuff.
    thebreeze said:
    ewal said:
    ewal said:

Well he turned it into a one man show at Edinburgh and then it became a Netflix series. It’s a very creative way of dealing with trauma. I am genuinely shocked that the internet is trying to find out who the real people are. It’s none of their business. Really, they shouldn’t have harboured on about it being a true story and perhaps this could have been avoided. 
    sinbaadi said:
    thebreeze said:
    ewal said:
    ewal said:

I didn't like it but we couldn't stop watching it.  It's obvious that they are both in need of help from the getgo because nobody in their right mind would allow someone so obviously disturbed to attach themselves like that.  It's not a stalker tale, it's two mentally unwell people simultaneously supporting and triggering one another in a really volatile way.  It has parallels with addiction which to be fair are quite well explored later on. 

I didn't think it was a fantasy sequence - more a dramatisation of something that happened.

I thought the series did explore the abused/abuser relationship and made the point well that those that suffer abuse often wrongly feel guilt relating to the part they played in the relationship.

However, unfortunately the internet loves a witch hunt and is incapable of understanding they have no right to interfere and go after the real people involved. Netflix and the show producers should have anticipated this - they bear a significant degree of responsibility for the subsequent damage caused. It won't just be the guilty parties that suffer. They should've known better...
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3351
    thebreeze said:
    ewal said:
    ewal said:

Well he turned it into a one man show at Edinburgh and then it became a Netflix series. It’s a very creative way of dealing with trauma. I am genuinely shocked that the internet is trying to find out who the real people are. It’s none of their business. Really, they shouldn’t have harboured on about it being a true story and perhaps this could have been avoided. 
    Theres also mumblings about there being no truth to any of it. The woman dragged into it via social media has stated he was a complete wrongun when he worked in the pub with mutliple rumours of rapes within the pub etc. Netflix knew exactly what they were doing, and knew the fallout would only generate interest. 
     Also, Nava Mau who plays Teri, Ive started following in IG and shes super interesting within all of the projects shes involved in. 
    thebreeze said:
    ewal said:
    ewal said:

Theres also mumblings about there being no truth to any of it. The woman dragged into it via social media has stated he was a complete wrongun when he worked in the pub with mutliple rumours of rapes within the pub etc. Netflix knew exactly what they were doing, and knew the fallout would only generate interest. 
     Also, Nava Mau who plays Teri, Ive started following in IG and shes super interesting within all of the projects shes involved in. 
    All plausible. 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1163

Would be a very dangerous game for Gadd to play if none of this was true and he's saying it's based on real events.  My money is people are saying it's not true to bait him into divulging names.  

Regarding the woman saying none of it is true - well she would say those things wouldn't she.  Her opinion is biased already.  
    ewal said:
    sinbaadi said:
    thebreeze said:
    ewal said:
    ewal said:

I didn't think it was a fantasy sequence - more a dramatisation of something that happened.

I thought the series did explore the abused/abuser relationship and made the point well that those that suffer abuse often wrongly feel guilt relating to the part they played in the relationship.

However, unfortunately the internet loves a witch hunt and is incapable of understanding they have no right to interfere and go after the real people involved. Netflix and the show producers should have anticipated this - they bear a significant degree of responsibility for the subsequent damage caused. It won't just be the guilty parties that suffer. They should've known better...
    Online the consensus seems to be that he was using his fantasy about Martha because it turned him on whilst he was struggling with Teri.   I think that was a device quite clearly portrayed, and from the outset it had trademark "dream sequence" vibes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'm maybe not remembering the scene correctly then. I have a dreadful memory for that sort of thing.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1521

Would be a very dangerous game for Gadd to play if none of this was true and he's saying it's based on real events.  My money is people are saying it's not true to bait him into divulging names.  

Regarding the woman saying none of it is true - well she would say those things wouldn't she.  Her opinion is biased already.  
    It’s also in his interests to say it’s a true story. It was great PR for his one man show that become a Netflix hit. 

Regardless, he made her easily identifiable and made up convictions she had. That isn’t in good faith for what Baby Reindeer was supposed to be about. 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2810
    ewal said:
    I'm maybe not remembering the scene correctly then. I have a dreadful memory for that sort of thing.
    I’m the same, don’t remember a “dream sequence” at all.  He’s hiding in bushes and following her home and ducking and diving below her window?  Not very dream-like but then maybe I was watching something else?
    thebreeze said:
    ewal said:
    I’m the same, don’t remember a “dream sequence” at all.  He’s hiding in bushes and following her home and ducking and diving below her window?  Not very dream-like but then maybe I was watching something else?
    That one didn't end up with them shagging though.  

I forget which episode it is, but he can't perform in bed with (is it Teri?) Teri and he's always stuck thinking about Martha.  
    Then the next scene is him at her door and they start passionately going at it, then it cuts away to show that this is in his head whilst he's shagging Teri.  

I don't think they're would be any doubt, if that had actually happened and it wasn't just in his head.