• jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 120
    Ozark - because it was good for a long time and i didnt get confused  :/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2420
    edited May 20
    sinbaadi said:
    thebreeze said:
    ewal said:
    I'm maybe not remembering the scene correctly then. I have a dreadful memory for that sort of thing.
    I’m the same, don’t remember a “dream sequence” at all.  He’s hiding in bushes and following her home and ducking and diving below her window?  Not very dream-like but then maybe I was watching something else?
    That one didn't end up with them shagging though.  

I forget which episode it is, but he can't perform in bed with (is it Teri?) Teri and he's always stuck thinking about Martha.  
    Then the next scene is him at her door and they start passionately going at it, then it cuts away to show that this is in his head whilst he's shagging Teri.  

I don't think they're would be any doubt, if that had actually happened and it wasn't just in his head.

It wasn't particularly clear, but his having intercourse with his stalker was meant as a fantasy. This was marked by Martha repeating a line she said to him earlier on: “You’ve been hurt, haven’t you?”. That may be a misquote but it’s along those lines. It then cuts away from the fantasy.

I only watched it the other day with zero knowledge of it. At first, I thought it was interesting. Midway through, and despite the grim episodes (I don’t mind challenging TV, though it was a hard watch), something about it didn’t sit right. By the end, I thought it was all wrong. 

Maybe some, all, or none of it is true. But whatever the case, I think the show paraded a horrible sense of depravity, was cleverly spun to get us to see how he wants us to see it and was generally a bad idea on various levels. It's a disturbing show, which is inflammatory and lacks sensitivity – to call it a comedy is wholly misleading (and a bit twisted). IMHO it would have been better without Gadd playing himself, told as a linear story to give an authentic portrayal of events and presented in a less besmirching way. Better still, a well-written book with more self-reflection would perhaps be more redeeming. For better or worse, I thought it was interesting, but I think there's probably a lot more to it.

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6542
    ^ I’m not sure who’s calling it a comedy?!

Also, Gadd comes out of it all in a pretty poor light; arguably, with less sympathy from the audience than ‘Martha’ gets. I don’t know what he was thinking, sharing this with the world, and I do think there is something very needy and uncomfortable about the fact he did so…I am also not sure why people involved in the show didn’t all just shout it down as a very bad idea….but…. fascinating TV all the same.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2420
    edited May 20
    ^ I’m not sure who’s calling it a comedy?!

Also, Gadd comes out of it all in a pretty poor light; arguably, with less sympathy from the audience than ‘Martha’ gets. I don’t know what he was thinking, sharing this with the world, and I do think there is something very needy and uncomfortable about the fact he did so…I am also not sure why people involved in the show didn’t all just shout it down as a very bad idea….but…. fascinating TV all the same.
    Likely a miscategorisation, then. It was labelled as a comedy on Netflix when I watched it. 

That aside, I agree with everything you said and thought the same. I'm surprised it was signed off in its current form, and Gadd reenacting his traumas all for the world to see seems unethical and unhealthy – I just don't think he or Netflix thought about it or went about it in the right way. But yeah, fascinating despite being foolish.

E2A: Black Comedy is one of its categories. 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 745
    edited May 21
    There was surely supposed to be an element of dark comedy to it.

Don't know if it was that "disturbing".
    A guy that's maybe never had, and doesn't know how to have, a "normal" relationship.

There's nothing wrong with a relationship with a trans girl, it definitely felt more about his messed up view of relationships. Probably stemming from the abusive relationship with the older man. 
    Don't know if it would have had the same effect if it was a woman going back to an abusive heterosexual relationship? 

It's certainly got people talking though.

Maybe I've watched too many "true crime" docs. but I've definitely heard more disturbing true stories.