Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8213
    edited July 18
    I won’t even eat Quorn (bleached mould grown in a chemical slurry), not a chance in hell I’ll ever eat that fake lab grown meat. 

I’ve been a Vegetarian for over 40 years.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader

Why is it wrong?

If we can make something with all the properties of meat with a lower cost and carbon footprint and without cruelty to animals that sounds like a win to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 22reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1118
    I guess if we can get to a point where we can substitute beef, chicken, lamb, etc with man made products and proven to be safe and also giving us the associated nutrients, then surely this is the way to go? 
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • manicguitaristmanicguitarist Frets: 437
    If you can't see how 100% processed food made in a factory is worse for you than 100% natural food - then I don't have a lot to add to this thread.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    If you can't see how 100% processed food made in a factory is worse for you than 100% natural food - then I don't have a lot to add to this thread.
    But for how long is this sustainable? And at what the price?
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8213
    Think about the shareholders, won’t anybody think about the shareholders? They need their money. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, it has been sustainable since time began. Despite what we're told - we are not a special generation.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12150
    edited July 18
    I guess if we can get to a point where we can substitute beef, chicken, lamb, etc with man made products and proven to be safe and also giving us the associated nutrients, then surely this is the way to go? 
    Re the processed food stuff.  There is already a group of people who think stuff like Huel are "complete meal replacements".  It's even in their slogan, and people drink that stuff all the time, and buy into it. 

They think food science has hit the end goal and we know everything about our body and we know everything there is to know about food science and this drink has everything the body needs, and nothing else and nothing more ever to know or need.  Otherwise they wouldn't use the word "complete" and actually say "everything your body needs".

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Re the processed food stuff.  There is already a group of people who think stuff like Huel are "complete meal replacements".  It's even in their slogan, and people drink that stuff all the time, and buy into it. 

They think food science has hit the end goal and we know everything about our body and we know everything there is to know about food science and this drink has everything the body needs, and nothing else and nothing more ever to know or need.  Otherwise they wouldn't use the word "complete".

The key word is’IF’.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Well, it has been sustainable since time began. Despite what we're told - we are not a special generation.

The planet stays the same size throughout time, but the human race doesn’t, therefore not everything remains sustainable 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29408
    I don't think this necessarily follows - natural us not always better. Natural includes killer bees and antimony. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    I don't think this necessarily follows - natural us not always better. Natural includes killer bees and antimony. 
    And zombies.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    Guaranteed to push me ever further down the path of not eating meat.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29408
    edited July 18
    Sporky said:
    And zombies.
    Indeed. 

I'm not particularly a fan of highly processed goods, but that's because they tend to be built to be addictive.

Western meat consumption with current population levels isn't sustainable though. So either we (collectively) eat less, or we find an alternative.

It'd be interesting to see if lab grown is environmentally less damaging than intensive farming. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12150

They think food science has hit the end goal and we know everything about our body and we know everything there is to know about food science and this drink has everything the body needs, and nothing else and nothing more ever to know or need.  Otherwise they wouldn't use the word "complete".

The key word is’IF’.
    To these group of people, it's not IF, it's already there.

There is no ambiguity in their statement.  It is nutritionally complete  and everything your body needs.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    I think I need to know more about the process before deciding whether it is wrong or not.

There's lots of people in the world who think that processed automatically means worse and that is not true. Reclaimed salt is processed but it is still only NaCl and yet millions of people think that there must be at least 2 versions of NaCl when there isn't.

There are dozens of people who don't want chemicals in their food and then get upset when they get laughed at for putting salt and vinegar on their chips. American BBQ groups are particularly hard work. They complain that "chemicals" leech out of aluminium dishes and grills but then cook the food with heated smoke that is absolutely full of a variety of compounds, some of which are known to not be not at all healthy and in some cases carcinogenic.

And there's that lovely USA survey were a significant minority wanted to ban DNA from food...

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    Arsenic and cyanide are natural. So is crude oil. I wouldn't recommend ingesting any of them.

Equally, pure NaCl table salt is easy to make in a lab and perfectly safe. 

A lot of "manufactured" food is garbage, but that's because the people in charge of making it decided to make it garbage in the name of commerce, not just because it's manufactured. 

I'm 100% in favour of a steak or bacon sandwich that doesn't involve the killing of an animal.  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 920
    If anyone thinks that the meat in your butchers is 100% natural food then I have a bridge to sell them.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    Also, the term "Lab Grown" is such a loaded, pejorative term.

Louise Brown was lab grown too. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    As for Huel, I think it's horrible and don't want to go down that road personally, but that's because I like cooking and I like eating food, and I like the social element that comes from cooking for and eating with friends. But I'm not going to suggest it's not a viable choice for folks who don't feel the same way about food as I do.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires