Lab grown meat approved for use in the UK

What's Hot
167891012»

Comments

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 924
    edited 3:07PM
    ICBM said:
    Kurtis said:

I don't know the details but have, quickly, read that atm the carbon footprint is worse than the way meat is currently made.
    It's not just the carbon footprint of farming itself, it's the destruction of rainforest, temperate forest and savannah to make room for cattle ranching - that has far more serious long-term consequences. We *must* move away from this model of meat production if we're going to have any hope of tackling deforestation - especially in South America - and the potential tipping point that it may cause.

Kurtis said:

If you add other nutrients it just seems a bit like deconstructing meat then trying to put it all together again.
    Yes, but if it gives the right result without actually having the animals I don't see why that matters.
    Oh, I agree it's not sustainable as is.

But there's a fair bit of stuff like "Lab-grown meat production is likely to be up to 25 times worse for the environment than conventional beef production. The study didn't assess product losses, cold storage and transportation, so the actual environmental impact could be higher."

I've not read the study. 

Apparently it uses a lot of energy. 
    Problem is it might still be more profitable. 

If it ends up worse, or on top of what we already have, it's not so good. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5062
    ICBM said:
    Kurtis said:

I don't know the details but have, quickly, read that atm the carbon footprint is worse than the way meat is currently made.
    It's not just the carbon footprint of farming itself, it's the destruction of rainforest, temperate forest and savannah to make room for cattle ranching - that has far more serious long-term consequences. We *must* move away from this model of meat production if we're going to have any hope of tackling deforestation - especially in South America - and the potential tipping point that it may cause.

Kurtis said:

If you add other nutrients it just seems a bit like deconstructing meat then trying to put it all together again.
    Yes, but if it gives the right result without actually having the animals I don't see why that matters.

We know what happened to the miners when the coal mines shut down - unemployment and utter desolation. If farming, milk and beef particularly, follows the same route - the miners experiences will look closer to a street party as millions of farmers who depend on agriculture are denied their only means of a livelihood. 

Be careful what you wish for. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• RockerRocker Frets: 5062
    WezV said:
    The problem is that the original article is referring to lab grown meat destined for pet food. 
    Discussion here has reasonably been more broadly relating to 'in vitro' meat replacements suitable for human consumption.
    Not the same thing at all by a very long way, unless individuals are happy lumping it all together for convenience?
    I think it is mainly discussion around where this goes, not where it is at now.

At the moment they can make lab grown slurry.  I doubt many of us will eat that, but what does the future hold.

Just look at how far other meat substitutes have come in the last 30 years yo try and imagine what this slurry will be soon

@WezV, please explain what you mean by meat substitutes. What the are, where they come from, brand names etc. Mainly as I have no idea what meat substitutes are. Thanks. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73541
    Rocker said:

We know what happened to the miners when the coal mines shut down - unemployment and utter desolation. If farming, milk and beef particularly, follows the same route - the miners experiences will look closer to a street party as millions of farmers who depend on agriculture are denied their only means of a livelihood. 

Be careful what you wish for. 
    It won’t be the same. Cattle farming is not a particularly labour-intensive industry, and it won’t be much - if at all - affected in Europe anyway, since the beef we produce here is already ‘premium’, ie sells on quality not price. This is not the market that could be replaced by artificial meat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 924
    edited 5:49PM
    I think we're probably past that point.