• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13501
    Gandalph said:
    VimFuego said:
    Offset said:
    VimFuego said:
    Adey said:
    VimFuego said:
    Kurtis said:
    I'd imagine it's very unlikely it will have the same nutritional value as real meat. 

what are you basing that on?

That's nearly another...
    hahaha, the forums bargain basement troll has surfaced. Was wondering when you'd get triggered, you never disappoint. 
    I think that's a bit unfair Vim.  Adey is far more upmarket than that :-)
    Yeah there has been some proper bargain-basement trolling in here - Adey is well above that.

He's more like Aldi, but the nice bits of Aldi, like the bakery section.
    each to their own of course, but for me he's a gregg's sausage roll of a troll. 
    He's not a troll though is he. 

Just because he shakes some of you lot up in the P&E section. Doesn't make him a troll. 

I thought we were doing banter - it's so hard to tell these days...

We need our token right-wingers over in P&E!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18207
    tFB Trader
    Hoof said:
    If lab grown meat becomes the norm, livestock is eliminated and the cow, pig, sheep, chicken etc become effectively extinct, how will we get products such as leather, eggs, wool, natural fertilizers? The production of meat makes these economically viable.
    I think this is a non problem
    Leather, maybe. Eggs are a massively important source of protein, and there's no viable substitute in a hell of a lot of foodstuffs.

Natural fertilisers are also an issue, because the fact that they're effectively a byproduct makes crop production viable for those farmers focused on not actively harming the environment they rely on.

I'm not saying there's no solution to the latter, but it would take a lot more work. Eggs...I don't think there is any other option there.

Natural fertiliser is massively damaging to rivers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27830
    VimFuego said:
    re the whole processed food being bad, fast eddie has a point there (though this is a point that has already been raised in this thread before he said it, so it's not really his point at all) although it doesn't constitute evidence to support anything he's said (he does seem to struggle with the concept of evidence or proof). It's almost similar to the argument made by vegans about diet, that we should be eating way less of the processed crap and as much food in its natural state as we can. 
    Lab grown meat has come about because of market forces, the market demands cheap meat, but the current system cannot hope to provide the quantities demanded, so manufacturers have come up with a solution. I guess another solution, one that I assume fast eddie would be more approving of, is to consume only high quality meat, but in massively lower quantities.
    I do recall reading several things about how much healthier our diet was during the war because of rationing, food for thought there maybe...
    The problem with the argument is that not all processing is equal, or equally bad. Dried pasta, for example, is a processed food; I'm only mentioning this as an example, but the point is that just saying "processed food is bad" is factually inaccurate. Taking it one step further, saying "this process is bad therefore that newly-invented process must also be bad" is simply false.

Of course, all of that assumes the existence of food as an input to the processing. Lab-grown meat does not have that; it's literally the creation of meat using processes that are analogous to the natural process. It is not, on the face of it, "processed food".

Now, genetically-modified...there's probably an argument there. The interesting possibility is...what if they can now edit the genes to make meat that lasts twice as long before spoiling, which they couldn't do to livestock while still keeping the embryos viable (and maintaining animal welfare standards)?

As for quantity - scaling is one thing that humans, as a species, have proven themselves to absolutely excel at. Once they've figured out how to reliably and safely produce it, scaling it up to population-level should follow in pretty short order.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20308
    Hoof said:
    If lab grown meat becomes the norm, livestock is eliminated and the cow, pig, sheep, chicken etc become effectively extinct, how will we get products such as leather, eggs, wool, natural fertilizers? The production of meat makes these economically viable.
    I think this is a non problem
    Leather, maybe. Eggs are a massively important source of protein, and there's no viable substitute in a hell of a lot of foodstuffs.

Natural fertilisers are also an issue, because the fact that they're effectively a byproduct makes crop production viable for those farmers focused on not actively harming the environment they rely on.

I'm not saying there's no solution to the latter, but it would take a lot more work. Eggs...I don't think there is any other option there.
    Natural fertilisers have been used in agriculture for millennia but that doesn't make them good, even if they are 'organic'.
    As has been mentioned earlier here by @Benm39 ; run-off & pollution is a very real problem regardless of the source.
    Regarding leather, there are developments in the same areas of research as cultured meat  https://www.just-style.com/news/3dbt-introduces-lab-grown-sustainable-leather-alternative/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13248
    Definitely agree with digi here. Its notable that the "it simply must must be a dead animal" purists don't understand the difference between artifical meat and processed food - they're not necessarily the same thing.

I also wonder how many billions of people the organic-is-the-only-way purists are willing to starve in the interests of humanity moving to their fabled "grass-cow-plate" fantasy? 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16296
    "I also wonder how many billions of people the organic-is-the-only-way purists are willing to starve in the interests of humanity moving to their fabled "grass-cow-plate" fantasy? "

it's poor animal husbandry to let your feedstock starve. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29784
    digitalscream said:

Eggs are a massively important source of protein, and there's no viable substitute in a hell of a lot of foodstuffs.

Also I don't think egg laying hens tend to get turned into McNuggets, on account of that process tends to significantly reduce their egg output.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1788
    I thought we were doing banter - it's so hard to tell these days...We need our token right-wingers over in P&E!
    Fair enough.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18207
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    digitalscream said:

Eggs are a massively important source of protein, and there's no viable substitute in a hell of a lot of foodstuffs.

Also I don't think egg laying hens tend to get turned into McNuggets, on account of that process tends to significantly reduce their egg output.

I think they end up as pet food.
    Spent hens are quite tough.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29784
    I've never fought a spent hen, but will take your word for it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 658
    VimFuego said:
    re the whole processed food being bad, fast eddie has a point there (though this is a point that has already been raised in this thread before he said it, so it's not really his point at all) although it doesn't constitute evidence to support anything he's said (he does seem to struggle with the concept of evidence or proof). It's almost similar to the argument made by vegans about diet, that we should be eating way less of the processed crap and as much food in its natural state as we can. 
    Lab grown meat has come about because of market forces, the market demands cheap meat, but the current system cannot hope to provide the quantities demanded, so manufacturers have come up with a solution. I guess another solution, one that I assume fast eddie would be more approving of, is to consume only high quality meat, but in massively lower quantities.
    I do recall reading several things about how much healthier our diet was during the war because of rationing, food for thought there maybe...
    The evidence that the processed diet we have been encouraged to eat is all around you.
    Look at how much more disease and tooth decay are prevalent. 

You don't need scientific papers to prove what is before you. At 53 years of age I have seen the expanding waistlines over the years.
    You don't need a paper to defend a strongly held opinion, or even one based on the facts one sees every day.

The problem in my mind comes from the top. If we used less land for grain and more for meat we would be in a better position.
    Grain is useful but also turned into highly processed and nasty bread products we do not need.

I am more about simple foods. Less processing, more local. Cheap chicken and pork are not sustainable. 

I do know that the global message is wrong and that the heavy but gentle hands which control industry and policy need to be withdrawn.

Less global interference and more honest communication as to how we can eat and be more healthy.
    Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16296
    heh, I'm not sure if you're deliberately misunderstanding what people are asking of you or you genuinely can't understand when people ask you to support your initial claim.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 8688
    edited July 20
    VimFuego said:

it's poor animal husbandry to let your feedstock starve. 
    Not to mention sexist and patriarchal 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4968
    8 pages, and no-one's mentioned hide glue.   :s
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    VimFuego said:

each to their own of course, but for me he's a gregg's sausage roll of a troll. 

♪ I'm a troll, sausage roll ♪

Would that be a (literally) full-fat one or the vegan version?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    Sporky said:
    I've never fought a spent hen, but will take your word for it.
    OK.  Retort of the week by a country mile.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20308
    Rocker said:
    We are carnivores so eating meat is how we evolved to what we are.  I think it might take a thousand years evolution for us to become 100% vegetarians.  
    I think you'll find we are omnivores.
    I just read quite a lot of this thread and rocker's nonsense statement is nothing on some of the preceding stuff.
    You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment...
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 807
    8 pages, and no-one's mentioned hide glue.   :s
    Ah, wait what you see what lentil glue can do...

And the finest amps in the world have crystal lettuces  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 807
    Hmmm, I don't think there is any nutrient in eggs thar isn't available through plant based alternatives... nuts,  pulse and grain have often better protein levels and with added fibre,  and all amino acids are available through combination of same.  Just a habit change really. 

Natural fertilisers are hugely damaging to the environment in the scale now witnessed.. look at the river Wye for example and issues with chicken manure.

Air pollution from ruminant stock levels also hugely problematic,  and over grazing is destroying SSSI eco systems at an alarming rate (* Dartmoor for example).

It's worth remembering that all domesticated livestock are a product of human activity,  rather than something naturally occurring in the wild. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2694
    I get that processed food is bad for us, but no-one is suggesting that applies to bacon too are they?