Lab grown meat approved for use in the UK

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20308
    Adey said:
    I get that processed food is bad for us, but no-one is suggesting that applies to bacon too are they?
    Vegetarian Kryptonite.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 807
    Adey said:
    I get that processed food is bad for us, but no-one is suggesting that applies to bacon too are they?
    I think bacon is a herb....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27830
    Benm39 said:
    Hmmm, I don't think there is any nutrient in eggs thar isn't available through plant based alternatives... nuts,  pulse and grain have often better protein levels and with added fibre,  and all amino acids are available through combination of same.  Just a habit change really. 
    Try making half the cakes in existence without eggs - yes, it can be done, but they all taste different and have totally different textures, and a lot of people just plain hate them.

In fact, some cakes can't even be made without egg whites specifically (no, aquafaba just doesn't work for them) - most chiffon cakes, Japanese cheesecake, angel food cake etc.

But the main problem with that argument is that - taken to its logical conclusion - it results in "Well, this grey goo provides all of the nutrients everybody needs, I'm confused as to why nobody's buying it".
    <space for hire>
    edited July 20
    FastEddie said:
    FastEddie said:
    Lab grown meat is a slow death. It is simply a means of population control from the ingestion of industrial waste. 

Do you have a factual reference for that?
    Yes.
    Go to the beach on a sunny day. The supermarket. Any Greggs.
    That is dying (did you get the play on words, living) proof that a modern diet is slowly killing the population.

Stats of heart disease and diabeties before 19440 or so to the modern day.

What else do you need? It's all around you. 

https://saifedean.com/tfs
    I know we have moved discussion on here a bit since this post, but I looked up the saifedean link & did a bit of research.
    This analysis made for interesting reading (* warning, if you aren't already allergic to the word 'fiat' you might well be after reading)  https://www.aier.org/article/everything-is-the-feds-fault-a-review-of-the-fiat-standard/
    * Edit, the link was OK, but now looks like the website has been hit by the current MS clusterfuck  :s

Selective quote from the article regarding Saifedean Ammous's book, for those time challenged or can't be arsed to read it all.

"The book reads like a 350-page under-sourced rallying tweet full of insults, name-calling, and hyperbolic language. While entertaining, it’s tiresome – and worth very little. Saif’s aggressive tone and outlandish claims undercut his argument and bewilder the reader. He rarely provides references for his claims, and seldom does he even identify the opponents he attacks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2694
    edited July 20
    Gandalph said:
    VimFuego said:
    Offset said:
    VimFuego said:
    Adey said:
    VimFuego said:
    Kurtis said:
    I'd imagine it's very unlikely it will have the same nutritional value as real meat. 

what are you basing that on?

That's nearly another...
    hahaha, the forums bargain basement troll has surfaced. Was wondering when you'd get triggered, you never disappoint. 
    I think that's a bit unfair Vim.  Adey is far more upmarket than that :-)
    Yeah there has been some proper bargain-basement trolling in here - Adey is well above that.

He's more like Aldi, but the nice bits of Aldi, like the bakery section.
    each to their own of course, but for me he's a gregg's sausage roll of a troll. 
    He's not a troll though is he. 

Just because he shakes some of you lot up in the P&E section. Doesn't make him a troll. 

I can't understand why people take the P&E section so seriously in a guitar forum.

It's not like Sir Kier takes the guitar section very seriously in the forum of the Labour Party's website.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16296
    although if politicians took the guitar section here more seriously and based more policies on what they read there, then possibly the world would be a better place.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 388
    I guess if we can get to a point where we can substitute beef, chicken, lamb, etc with man made products and proven to be safe and also giving us the associated nutrients, then surely this is the way to go? 
    I guess if we can get to a point where we can substitute humans with man made robots, then surely this is the way to go? 
    Vintage65 said:
    I guess if we can get to a point where we can substitute beef, chicken, lamb, etc with man made products and proven to be safe and also giving us the associated nutrients, then surely this is the way to go? 
    I guess if we can get to a point where we can substitute humans with man made robots, then surely this is the way to go? 
    As a devout cannibal, I outright refuse to eat robots.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29784
    Adey said:

It's not like Sir Kier takes the guitar section very seriously in the forum of the Labour Party's website.
    You've not read his Bigsby rants? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2694
    Yeah, but he isn't serious though

.....is he?
    Wasn't grey goo what the nanotechnology was going to turn the world into... like a horde of subminiature langoliers...?

What ever happened to them?
    edited July 20
    Adey said:
    I don't actually have a problem with processing food, after all, what about ketchups, mustards, butter, pickles, canning, yoghourt, kippers, kimchi, cheese, jam, tea, coffee. marmalade etc. etc.

I do however tend to agree with the general opposition to some highly mechanically prepared & processed foods...  B

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1349
    Vintage65 said:
    Yeah I hear ya, how far back do you wanna go?
      Electric guitars, amps, effects pedals, it’s all cheating and replacing that organic acoustic guitar for an assimilation…just take me back to the good old days man.
       And can you imagine the uproar when we were told we had to free the African slaves? Who the hell was gonna wait and serve on the Gentry? 
       Bearing in mind one of the fundamental human traits is empathy. Without it I guess we end up with a sociopath/psychopath or Donald Trump.
       So these debates can sometimes stir a little irony/contradiction within ourselves and so far easier to stand strong in our beliefs and ignore any form of rational argument that could render us hypocrites. As they say…ignorance is bliss.
       Now if you have no interest in easing the current vile level of suffering within our  foodchain and all other associated chaos at little cost to ourselves(eventually, if it can be done)then this is up to you.
       I’m a proper Luddite when it comes to music, but not when it comes to mass suffering and torture 
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    ^^ With you here @Petepassion ; :)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8688
    Benm39 said:

Air pollution from ruminant stock levels also hugely problematic ....
    While I do agree with that to a large extent, the laughable thing (actually not very funny at all) is that every 5th of November a significant percentage of Britain's population goes out and ignites so many fireworks that you can hardly breathe the polluted air or see the stars.  Among them will be people driving electric cars, cycling to work, walking to the shops, and eating less meat to try and save the planet.  Yes, I know, the pollutants from fireworks are different, but they are just as damaging in different ways from air polltion from ruminant livestock.
    Sadly, banning or changing the chemical composition of fireworks won't offset the need for the planet to very fundamentally alter our farming practices. Current and projected meat and dairy consumption levels are wholly unsustainable and must be significantly reduced... either that or knock about a third off the global population from rich economy countries with highest TCo2e footprints..

As an earlier contributor noted,  cannibalism is the way to go... eat one person and reduce your carbon footprint by 100%, or,  make a huge difference and eat a couple of airline pilots ;)

Seriously,  the solutions to the increasing pace and scale of climate change are something that will take some getting used to,  but the luxury of choosing not to is one that is increasingly expensive.  Societal level change is slow, if necessary,  but individual action can also make a positive difference... whether that is eating less meat,  driving less,  changing who you bank with so you're not investing in climate damage,  joining a scheme to offset, reduce and avoid emissions etc... on our own we're just drips in a bucket,  but collectively those drips can amount to an ocean and positively impact even the largest issues. 

Sometimes I feel entirely overwhelmed and depressed about the lack of urgency over the need for adaptation and mitigation measures,  but overall I still feel it's both important and necessary to make a positive contribution to the changes needed and advocate through daily actions - however small. Nearly everyone has the ability to make some modest positive input and together that's what ultimately makes for a healthy society, community and to try and reduce our impact on the planet we share with everything else in the natural world. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 658
    FastEddie said:
    FastEddie said:
    Lab grown meat is a slow death. It is simply a means of population control from the ingestion of industrial waste. 

Do you have a factual reference for that?
    Yes.
    Go to the beach on a sunny day. The supermarket. Any Greggs.
    That is dying (did you get the play on words, living) proof that a modern diet is slowly killing the population.

Stats of heart disease and diabeties before 19440 or so to the modern day.

What else do you need? It's all around you. 

https://saifedean.com/tfs
    I know we have moved discussion on here a bit since this post, but I looked up the saifedean link & did a bit of research.
    This analysis made for interesting reading (* warning, if you aren't already allergic to the word 'fiat' you might well be after reading)  https://www.aier.org/article/everything-is-the-feds-fault-a-review-of-the-fiat-standard/
    * Edit, the link was OK, but now looks like the website has been hit by the current MS clusterfuck  :s

Selective quote from the article regarding Saifedean Ammous's book, for those time challenged or can't be arsed to read it all.

"The book reads like a 350-page under-sourced rallying tweet full of insults, name-calling, and hyperbolic language. While entertaining, it’s tiresome – and worth very little. Saif’s aggressive tone and outlandish claims undercut his argument and bewilder the reader. He rarely provides references for his claims, and seldom does he even identify the opponents he attacks.

and there was me thinking it was an interesting read.
    I'm off to play cricket so can't find a counter review, save to say that my point stands. Business, Governments, and powerful NGO's fund science and as such won't suffer any dissidence. 

I was racking my brains to think of where I read that ultra-processed foods are killing us....it was the BBC. 

I'll stand by my feelings of distrust and distaste toward the push toward grey sludge, owning nothing, driving nowhere, and being happy.

Small steps away from a healthy independently minded life.
    Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74041
    edited July 21
    Some people are confusing two different things - artificially-grown meat is *not* the same as processed food. It’s a completely different thing and has different issues. Over-processed food stuffed full of artificial chemicals is bad for us, certainly - but artificial meat could be not processed at all. It’s a similar concept to using genetic modification of crop plants to remove the need for pesticides or preservatives - the final product may be artificial genetically, but it’s healthier to eat and less damaging to the environment to produce.

If artificially-grown meat does have health implications it will be because it doesn’t contain all the other minor constituents that animal-based meat does. This may be possible to solve by further genetic engineering - we’re still at the very first stages so far.

It’s also not going to result in the complete loss of animal-based agriculture, especially in wealthier parts of the world - there will always be a demand for high quality real meat. But if it can remove the need for industrial battery farming and the destruction of vast areas of rainforest and savannah to make room for low-quality beef production - which is a serious threat to the whole world - that is a very good thing.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that we need to stop eating meat - but if we could even just halve the amount we produce by livestock farming it will make a big difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13501
    Sporky said:
    Adey said:

You've not read his Bigsby rants? 
    What really gets his goat is people not using the right tool for the right job.

You see, not many people know this, but his father was a Toolmaker.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Who would make the best minister for vibrato...?