Manchester airport arrest

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7301
    euan said:
    The whole thing stinks of bad policing. The initial assault happened in the terminal and the men had left and were paying for their parking when they were approached by the police. It clearly reesculated at that point. 

I’m not blaming the individual officers here but was there need to approach suspected violent individuals in a closed area where the general public were also still present. Specifically where these men had gone through passport control. You know who there are. You know where they live. You know what car they are getting in. 

Is it not better to let them go, gather the evidence and arrest then at a later time with a full case already gather? This is no different to how football violence is policed rather successfully. 

I’m listening to Nicky Campbell right now and police officer after police officer are coming on making excuses for what effectively was mindless violence. 
    So you'd imagine they'll probably also get a parking fine now too as I can't envisage they've had a chance to complete the transaction.

Bloody all you need that isn't it? Especially after what's gone on.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27293
    Open_G said:
    I’m not going to make any form of comment on the actual event in question here but will give a little bit of a general comment on my experience of seeing airport policing. Having worked at Manchester Airport for a fair while, as well as Stansted I can confirm from my own experience at work and seeing them in action that armed officers don’t take anywhere near the same level of, let’s call it, “cheekiness” from members of the public who may “pushing their luck,” in the line of duty. The sheer level of risk associated with engaging with a group of individuals presenting challenges when armed with the weapons they carry means they have an absolute zero tolerance of the aforementioned “pushing their luck.” I’ve also seen the look of shock on some “cheeky” people when the police respond so heavily at the airport- almost a “they aren’t like this in town when I’m being cheeky on a Saturday night” feeling. 
    There was also an anecdotal thought among civilian colleagues at the airport that the airport posting was one for the misfits within GMP. 

I also never got used to seeing the police walk around cradling weapons- 5 years of 40 hour weeks of seeing it and it still scared the crap out of me. 
    We also need to consider that the role of firearms officer may attract a certain type of police officer with a certain mentality. Often macho men who are drawn to aggression and violence.
    Except...those are the very officers who are supposed to be screened out of it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    Some key questions that remain at large

1. Were the lads in question charged with anything?
    2. Was anyone else charged with anything?
    3. If so, what?
    4. Where is Police bodycam footage?
    5. Why, when there's clear evidence of assault, is the police officer suspended rather than arrested and interviewed under caution as anyone else would be?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1118
    Not good, especially since the recent chaos in Leeds. Tommy Robinson and his goons are gonna lap this up.
    The police need to do the right thing here, accept total responsibility, and that the officer was clearly not fit for the job.
       When a man is tasered, face down, stiff as a board and surrounded by armed police he is clearly not an imminent threat.
       Very easy to kill someone by stamping on their head.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19797
    That officer was out of control & out of order. No excuses for such behaviour.
    From the video footage on the BBC, I can clearly see the kick to the head, but what looks like a stamp near to the mans head, not on it?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjqep1ew419o
    Not attempting to reduce or mitigate in any way the severity of the offence, but it is important to try to get the facts right.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1714
    Gassage said:
    Some key questions that remain at large

4. Where is Police bodycam footage?
    None of the officers will have the body cam turned on. It’s not a requirement. 

I continued to listen to Nicky Campbell’s phone in and later on there was an ex officer who had been bullied out of the force for reporting a colleague using similar excessive force. He explained why the never turn on the camera. And told a story how as an ex cop he ended up in the back of a van for telling officers they wouldn’t continue their behaviour if they switched on their cameras. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8169
    That officer was out of control & out of order. No excuses for such behaviour.
    From the video footage on the BBC, I can clearly see the kick to the head, but what looks like a stamp near to the mans head, not on it?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjqep1ew419o
    Not attempting to reduce or mitigate in any way the severity of the offence, but it is important to try to get the facts right.
    I fully agree about the necessity of getting facts right, however to be pedantic even if the "stomp" didn't make contact it is still an assault along with the kick to the face or head. The stomp was clearly intended to make contact with the guy's head, and would have caused injury had it done so, therefore an assault was committed by that stomp as well as the kick that did make contact.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7445
    These days they could probably automate turning the bodycam on in certain circumstances.

If biometrics indicated and engagement or if certain equipment was removed from holsters / belt etc.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ArfashandiArfashandi Frets: 49
    there will be 3 sides to this story, what they say, what the police say and the truth somewhere in the middle which will be ignored by any politician/independent journalist with an agenda. all i would say having travelled and lived in a bunch of places is i wouldnt like to see the aftermath of kicking off with armed cops in an airport
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    I’ll just leave this here…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjk3ppjjlpmo
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    edited July 25
    Both men have since been released without charge.

So not sure how a kick & stamp to head could be  justified by any PACE guidelines

This calls for arrest of thug(s) concerned  & clearly reaches charge threshold of aggravated Assault occasioning ABH

If proven, high culp, lev 2 harm = custodial.

Could be argued by a good silk that if racial profiling used that this was by definition racially aggravated. 

Rightly so.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GillyGilly Frets: 1242
    edited July 25
    Gassage said:

So not sure how a kick & stamp to head could be  justified by any PACE guidelines

This calls for arrest of thug(s) concerned  & clearly reaches charge threshold of aggravated Assault occasioning ABH

Could be argued by a good silk that if racial profiling used that this was by definition racially aggravated. 

Rightly so.
    If that’s the case then I rescind my earlier comments. Throw the book at them.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7393
    Gilly said:
    Gassage said:

Rightly so.
    If that’s the case then I rescind my earlier comments. Throw the book at them.
    Yep I’m with you on that - thank God it was caught on camera . 
    So a lawyer representing the man who was stomped on the head is claiming that the victim has a cyst on the brain as a result. And also he has a brother who is an officer in GMP. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    euan said:
    So a lawyer representing the man who was stomped on the head is claiming that the victim has a cyst on the brain as a result. And also he has a brother who is an officer in GMP. 
    The lawyer or the twat who got kicked?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5361
    Reform uk are straight in there backing the officers and glad to see the police mean business rather than the softly softly approach!!

Don’t know why they don’t just come out and applaud the “pxxi” bashing 

they really are the sewer dwellers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 899
    Not saying the response is right, but they are lucky they didn’t assault a number of police officers in an airport in almost any other country in the world to see what may happen. 

• PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1118
    Not saying the response is right, but they are lucky they didn’t assault a number of police officers in an airport in almost any other country in the world to see what may happen. 

Yeah, thankfully the UK is a little more advanced and humane than some countries and their ethics...and I emphasise 'some'.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnk4pp530eqo

Traumatised?  Fuck me.  Perhaps they shouldn't have kicked off (sorry, no pun intended) and then their 'trauma' could have been avoided.

Excuse my total lack of sympathy for people who start an affray, cause fear in innocent bystanders and then assault the coppers who are sent in to sort them out.

This one cop seems to have gone way overboard but let's not lose sight of why this happened.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnk4pp530eqo

Traumatised?  Fuck me.  Perhaps they shouldn't have kicked off (sorry, no pun intended) and then their 'trauma' could have been avoided.

Excuse my total lack of sympathy for people who start an affray, cause fear in innocent bystanders and then assault the coppers who are sent in to sort them out.

This one cop seems to have gone way overboard but let's not lose sight of why this happened.
    You appear not to have read the article you posted.