Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which is the worst Led Zep track?

What's Hot

Comments

• The acoustic stuff on Led Zep III
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Either The Crunge or The Lemon Song.

You have got to be kidding !  The Lemon Song has the best guitar tone I ever heard. 
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Get It On - Kingdom Come
    Pressure and Time - Rival Sons
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited December 2014
    The acoustic stuff on Led Zep III
    Get out of it! 

It's lovely stuff.  

I'm normally easy going but for this I make an exception. 

You, my son,  are barred. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Have a wisdom @Skarloey
  • Skarloey said:
    Get out of it! 

It's lovely stuff.  

Nah, there's other acoustic music that appeals to me far more. Zep were imo best at the electrick riffery
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    You have got to be kidding !  The Lemon Song has the best guitar tone I ever heard. 
    Really? It's terrible in my opinion - a boxy congested mess. Nothing Page has ever recorded has a great tone to me…. but if you want a Page track with at least halfway good tone, there are many examples. More importantly it's a crap song which they mostly nicked from Howlin' Wolf.

I can't really stand Whole Lotta Love either, but at least it has a good riff.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    Zep are a rare example of a band with a "Worst Of" 

The first Remasters box set didn't have all the tracks on it so they released a two disk set with everything else on it.

I'm not a big fan of The Crunge, but for me Carouselambra is the worst thing they did. Just awful parping keyboards. 

The whole of In Through The Out Door is pretty shit with the exception of In The Evening.
  • Zep are a rare example of a band with a "Worst Of" 

Those two box sets were the first time I got all of Led Zep on CD*...and they're still the versions on my iPod (reassembled back into the album running order). 

*i'm of an age where I had them all on cassette first!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    They are the best masters. 

The early CD transfers are notoriously badly done and the more recent "Mothership" ones are much too hot. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I quite like D'yer Maker.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    Bucket said:
    +1
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Paul_C said:
    Bucket said:
    +1

another +1 from me , I think if it had a different title that was not so "puntastic" then it wouldn't be so offensive to some .....

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23589
    edited December 2014
    monquixote said:
    The whole of In Through The Out Door is pretty shit with the exception of In The Evening.

You're probably right, but I have a soft spot for it because it was the only Led Zeppelin album I bought as a new release (if I remember right I got Whitesnake's
    Lovehunter and Judas Priest's Unleashed in the East on the same day).

• I gotta say, while I love the Zep stuff that I like, I really dislike large swathes of their catalogue. Half of "I" is rubbish, including Dazed and Confused, I don't like Moby Dick, I'm not a big fan of Stairway, and from HOTH onwards there's at least 2 tracks on each record that are just unlistenable. Who can get through almost 20 minutes of Kashmir and In My Time of Dying? Both would be WAY better if under 6 minutes.

That said, the Rain Song is great and that's 7:30 or so
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I like all of In Through The Out Door as well, not just Hot Dog :).

It's interesting, before this thread I would have said I was a bit ambivalent about them in general - they've definitely done some less good stuff, I'm not a fan of Plant's voice really, most of Page's tone or a lot of his playing... and yet, it's hard to think of a Zep album I don't like and is mostly great! Someone else said it earlier, it's the variety that made them so good. There's something to like, or at least interesting, in almost everything they did, and the whole thing somehow works despite being quite shambolic in places.

I feel the same about the Stones in many ways...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23589
    edited December 2014
    I gotta say, while I love the Zep stuff that I like, I really dislike large swathes of their catalogue. Half of "I" is rubbish, including Dazed and Confused, I don't like Moby Dick, I'm not a big fan of Stairway, and from HOTH onwards there's at least 2 tracks on each record that are just unlistenable. Who can get through almost 20 minutes of Kashmir and In My Time of Dying? Both would be WAY better if under 6 minutes.

That said, the Rain Song is great and that's 7:30 or so
    And there you go, those are a couple of my favourites, especially the latter (and I'm not that keen on the Rain Song)!!

As I said before, the diversity is what makes Led Zeppelin interesting and it's clear from this thread we all like different songs whilst, broadly speaking, being fans of the band.

I'd say with most of my favourite bands, I like probably 90% of the material.  With Zeppelin, it's maybe only 60-70%.... but I still enjoy listening to the complete albums because there's a sense of anticipation, it's never long to wait for something really great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Wisdom to @Philly_q . I went to see a Zep tribute, who were great, but they turned it into an evening of blues rock whereas it's all that diversity that keeps the originals interesting.
    At least Zep didn't do that to themselves. Bands like Sabbath, Van Halen or even Aerosmith had lots of diversity in their early days yet one day decided they only did rock and suddenly all their output became homogenous.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I don't like most of "Presence", too much bombast plus a retitled remake of "Since I've Been Lovin' You"(IMO).  I am in the "I like Hot Dog, The Crunge and Moby Dick" camp, in fact I feel the first 5 albums were pretty much great then things started to unwind bit by bit after that.  I never saw Zep live but all the video I've seen has been pretty rough, the funny thing is there were numerous bar bands in my area that played their music better than they did live.  Triumph was one, (Rik Emmett on guitar) did a whole set that was brilliant. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Phil_aka_Pip;439889" said:
    Skarloey said:

Phil_aka_Pip said:

Get out of it! 

It's lovely stuff.  

Nah, there's other acoustic music that appeals to me far more. Zep were imo best at the electrick riffery
    That sums up the wide, wide range of opinions we're getting here. For me Zep were best up to and including PG and the live stuff up to 75 precisely because they mixed the electric and the acoustic.

Of the longer tracks, I just think Kashmir is an epic. IMO they were going for something like what Ravel did with the Bolero there, but it's a better piece of music.

ITTOD would have been a totally different and far stronger album if they'd have got rid of the crap tracks and put on the stuff that only made it to Coda.

Anyway each to their own, vive le diference etc etc etc.