Elite: Dangerous

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7731
    I bought it and did the first 3 training missions.

Although I couldn't tell at all what was what with chevrons and indicators for landing. It seems i eventually rubbed the right part of ground facing in the right direction although by then I couldn't make out what the display was meant to be showing me lol 

I've done a couple of basic missions now - although I hadn't done the SRV training so that was trial by fire - took me 15 mins to get back inside my ship ha.

I now have a grand total of 53k credits. Go me.
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    Didn't know you could have your ship delivered!
    Yep. It can be quite costly, although the Vulture's pretty cheap to move around within the bubble; shifting it out to Maia last time cost me around 700k, though, and that was a 400Ly journey.
    <space for hire>
    Continual connection errors and an apparent mission-trigger-glitch have got me about ready to ditch this - so much time invested and so little progress :-/ 
    Red ones are better. 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    TimmyO said:
    Continual connection errors and an apparent mission-trigger-glitch have got me about ready to ditch this - so much time invested and so little progress :-/ 
    I had a mission glitch where the welcome mission wouldn't appear. seems to be a known issue. I cleared my save a couple of times and restarted and eventually it pinged.

Its a time sink but incredibly fun and rewarding when you achieve something!

After spending last week pretty much on trial and error I reset my save one last time on the weekend and started again with a little more knowledge about what to do etc.

TimmyO said:
    Have you tried raising a support ticket? I was getting loads of connection errors on Sunday night, but not since then.
    <space for hire>
    It's working now - got me a hauler.
    I'm still bloody clueless though lol
    Red ones are better. 
  • BorkBork Frets: 259
    edited July 2017
    I'm a very active player at the moment, although 8 hours ahead of the UK in terms of time.

The Support from Frontier is great, especially CMDR Luna - we're working on improving my connection at the moment.  

The ongoing issues with bugs is very frustrating though.  I'm waiting to Gd5 engineer the FSD and thrusters of at least four ships but the drops of Cracked Industrial Firmware and Exquisite Focus Crystals are officially bugged.  So I'm killing time by bounty hunting in either my Python, or Cutter (to train the new crew member).  Pew pew pew.

[This space for rent]

I'm going to try and join in the Grand Day Out player event so trying to get a ship with a fancy scanner and good jump range and a fuel scoop
    Red ones are better. 
    edited July 2017
    DBX is worth looking at as a cheaper option with nearly the same jump range of the Asp Explorer.  A week trading rares should give you enough dosh to equip.

[This space for rent]

The thought of trading bores me tbh 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited July 2017
    ok, I reckon another couple of days and I should have the exploration-spec hauler that will enable me to join in with this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/354836-Deep-Recon-X-Presents-quot-A-GRAND-DAY-OUT-quot-the-very-first-player-organised-event-on-PS4! ; (I'm just short the fancy scanner that'll reap the cash en route) 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    The thought of trading bores me tbh 
    Welp, here's the thing. It's actually quicker to trade rares than to do it through combat bounties.  But one of the charms of elite is you get to choose which path to follow.

If you're going to focus on combat for example, be prepared to die.  Lots.  If you want to upgrade a ship purely from bounties, then it'll take you quite a while to get access to the nice payoffs through ranking with a faction and ranking towards combat elite.  With rares you don't need to worry about that to the same degree and it takes a few million to come up with a ship which can survive a skirmish long enough to get out when your shields are down to one ring.  

And even then you'll need module reinforcements if any attacker targets your modules instead of your shields because there's more than one way to bring a shield tank down.

[This space for rent]

I've now worked up to a Diamondback Explorer. For, you know, exploring. 

I have totally skinted myself getting it, I can afford 2 rebuys max lol. 

Jump range is about 36LY.

Along the way I decided to kit out a Viper and take a combat mission. I hadn't read up on them so probably was doing something wrong but FML it was dull. I had to find 2 particular pirates is a system. This took soooooo long. There were no resource sites or conflict sites so it was just pootling about until they happened by. One took about 15 mins to turn up, the other must have been another half n hour. Sheesh. I went back to other things pretty swiftly. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4700
    Big bug bear. Want to start upgrading my ship using engineers. But you have to collect certain materials including Nickel. Apparently one of the most common element, but you can't buy it. You are forced to either Mine or use your SRV to collect.
    unfortuatly with my loadout I have no SRV or space for one.
    Why can"t I just buy the stuff.
    yes for the higher grade stuff I can see the value of blasting a police ship out of the sky (I'll do that in Empire space so not wanted in the federation) but mining and prospecting are boring as hell
    edited July 2017
    Big bug bear. Want to start upgrading my ship using engineers. But you have to collect certain materials including Nickel. Apparently one of the most common element, but you can't buy it. You are forced to either Mine or use your SRV to collect.
    unfortuatly with my loadout I have no SRV or space for one.
    Why can"t I just buy the stuff.
    yes for the higher grade stuff I can see the value of blasting a police ship out of the sky (I'll do that in Empire space so not wanted in the federation) but mining and prospecting are boring as hell
    The point is that by the time Engineers came out, 80% of players had more money than god, so they needed to come up with something to prevent everyone immediately going straight to Grade 5 mods.

The other thing with Engineers is that in order to get access to the Engineers to upgrade everything on your ship, you literally have to play every part of the main game (not counting CQC/Arena and Power Play). You have to trade, you have to explore, you have to pirate (or at least kill traders), you have to do a lot of combat...the aim of it was to force people to get good at everything in order to max out their ship.

It's easier than it was - you get three of any material for every lump you pick up now. It used to be just one, and you used to have to get mission-only commodities (which take up cargo space) for blueprints too, which were severely RNG-limited and meant that it was impossible to fully upgrade small combat-only ships.
    <space for hire>
    I discovered the hard way today that you can't have 2 engineered mods on the same thing. FML. A waste of a FSD range boost - never even for to use it lol
    Red ones are better. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2957
    Ive been playing on a MacBook without a mouse and navigation in the star map is basically impossible.  I dont know if this is just a Mac issue or because a mouse is essential for this part of the game, but without the ability to plan journeys it became a very frustrating game and I haven't logged in for ages.  Shame as I had such high hopes and this is the one area that has stopped me moving forward.

Can you transfer micro materials from one ship to another? So if I buy a ship dedicated to mining/prospecting to get materials I need and transfer to my battle ship for upgrades?

Can you transfer micro materials from one ship to another? So if I buy a ship dedicated to mining/prospecting to get materials I need and transfer to my battle ship for upgrades?

It's automatic - you carry all of your materials from one ship to the next when you switch. Same for the SRV (for synthesis).
    <space for hire>
    cool so need to find a mining world with a station I can buy a ship and get all the materials I need.
    Need to buy an exploration ship as well (not something I have concentrated on at all, likewise trading)