Elite: Dangerous

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    @d8m - here you go, the docking swoop:

The only fancy bit is the Flight Assist Off move as I'm approaching the station entrance from the side. After that, it's pretty standard - landing gear down as I'm entering the mail slot, locate the landing pad, and fly down to it. There's a slight lateral adjustment on approach to the pad, and then I go right and left with the lateral thrusters once I'm down to get lined up exactly.

Hope that helps :)

Oh, and yes...I wasn't concentrating, so I rolled way more than necessary once I'd found my pad. Nobody's perfect...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    @d8m - here you go, the docking swoop:

The only fancy bit is the Flight Assist Off move as I'm approaching the station entrance from the side. After that, it's pretty standard - landing gear down as I'm entering the mail slot, locate the landing pad, and fly down to it. There's a slight lateral adjustment on approach to the pad, and then I go right and left with the lateral thrusters once I'm down to get lined up exactly.

Hope that helps :)

Oh, and yes...I wasn't concentrating, so I rolled way more than necessary once I'd found my pad. Nobody's perfect...
    Skills.

I had another go tonight and managed a couple of missions, currently scanning around my current system trying to find some data as part Of my best paying mission yet.

d8m said:
    Skills.

I had another go tonight and managed a couple of missions, currently scanning around my current system trying to find some data as part Of my best paying mission yet.

It's really not that hard - you just have to remember to be smooth with the stick(s). If you visualise yourself swooping in, and don't worry too much about overshooting (remember your power management - until you get the hang of it, put 4 pips in SYS which makes your shields much stronger).

While I'm on the subject - power management is very important. More pips in SYS (shields), ENG (engines) or WEP (weapons) doesn't just give you faster recharge to those systems. It also has a secondary effect:

SYS: Stronger shields
    ENG: Higher top speed, faster turn rate
    WEP: Better weapon cooling

As you might imagine, against an opponent approaching (or above) your level, power management is really important in combat.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4700
    Trying to protect newbies at Eravate at the moment but all the wanted commanders have buggered off.
    d8m said:
    Skills.

It's really not that hard - you just have to remember to be smooth with the stick(s). If you visualise yourself swooping in, and don't worry too much about overshooting (remember your power management - until you get the hang of it, put 4 pips in SYS which makes your shields much stronger).

While I'm on the subject - power management is very important. More pips in SYS (shields), ENG (engines) or WEP (weapons) doesn't just give you faster recharge to those systems. It also has a secondary effect:

As you might imagine, against an opponent approaching (or above) your level, power management is really important in combat.
    I haven't really tweaked my ship yet apart from the fuel scoop. I'm going to get a couple of decent missions in to get the cash level up then do some mods.

Want some mining beams!

• SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    Sporky said:
    I should probably have another go at this. I did some tutorials and got fed up with the process of trying to map controls sensibly.

Also I miss having a joystick that twists.
    I have the Thrustmaster HOTAS X - it's pretty cheap (~£30), and does the job admirably. You do need to install JoystickCurves to customise the response curve, otherwise you'll find it's ridiculously over-sensitive.
    I bought the Warthog one.

There are a LOT of switches.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    d8m said:
    d8m said:
    Skills.

I haven't really tweaked my ship yet apart from the fuel scoop. I'm going to get a couple of decent missions in to get the cash level up then do some mods.

Want some mining beams!
    I'm not talking about modding or tweaking your ship - I'm talking about these little buggers to the right of your scanner:

You can change those on the fly. If you watch PvPers going at it on YouTube, you'll see they muck around with their power priorities constantly to keep the ship running optimally for everything they're doing.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Did not know you could change those around!

d8m said:
    Did not know you could change those around!
    Aye...the advantage you have is that there are lots of folk about to tell you these things. I played from beta, and - because I never read the manual - there was a lot of trial and error involved. Basically, I had the control map on my laptop screen, and tried everything one-by-one.

It was laborious, to say the least. Don't do what I did ;)
    <space for hire>
    I've done a couple more boom data deliveries and got up to 60 thousand credits. Still have an on going mission that requires me to scan and find something before delivering it back so will try and get that one as it's worth another 60k credits!

Done it!
     I'm also landing better now.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7731
    Thinking about trying this on PS4 - but we also have an XBOX One - is there any reason to choose one over the other froma  technical or gameplay point of view?

Is anyone playing on console using the controller, or have you added HOTAS controller? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1019
    good luck all new commanders o7

i play on xb1 with the controller. have never used a hotas e.t.c but find the controller pretty good for the most part. i have been playing ed since march last year and have currently put over 70 days real time into the game so it is very addictive i have to say (if you are into this type of game,not everyone is).
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

Now in the top 50% of commanders at the CG at Eravate with 2 days to go. Have already gotten 2m credits with 6m due on completion.
    So what should I do with an already tricked out Vulture + 11m credits?
    edited July 2017
    Now in the top 50% of commanders at the CG at Eravate with 2 days to go. Have already gotten 2m credits with 6m due on completion.
    So what should I do with an already tricked out Vulture + 11m credits?
    Put together another 100m, and you're ready to start PvPing

Actually, that's not true. How far have you gone with the Engineers?

My Vulture's mostly G5-modded - long-range (5.5km) beam + pulse lasers, engines at 320m/s (525m/s boost), bi-weave shields modded for resistance (around 700MJ shield strength), dual chaff with 15 ammo each, ~1400 armour, 19Ly jump range, lightweight scanners etc.

It's still only enough to last 10 minutes against a decent CMDR in a fully-war-specced FDL and still lose, but I've scared off quite a few Cutters, Corvettes, Pythons and Anacondas with it :)
    <space for hire>
    Not far to be honest so far have only done a level 1 upgrade to my power distributor.
    Too much faffing around finding materials. Even though I always play in open so far I have not had a single PvP encounter.
    Where I would love the game to go is the ability to buy a space station and really start to control my own little empire. 
    So far there is not really that much variation in game play.
    It's buy/find/mine stuff or/and shoot stuff and lots of time wasted in travel.

I actually have several different fits for my Vulture, thinking about it - I can swap out the strong shields for efficient shields (faster recharge, lower strength). My current build has beam + pulse lasers, both long-range, but the pulse laser has the phasing sequence special effect (small amount of damage bleeds through shields - very useful in protracted PvP encounters). The other weapons fit is dual efficient beam lasers with no special effects, for about 55MJ/s constant damage, which I use for PvE stuff.

Whenever I'm going to be in one place for a while, I just call all the modules to the station I'm crashing at and re-fit as necessary.
    <space for hire>
    Where I would love the game to go is the ability to buy a space station and really start to control my own little empire. 
    So far there is not really that much variation in game play.
    It's buy/find/mine stuff or/and shoot stuff and lots of time wasted in travel.

For travel, I have an Asp Scout which is stripped-out and range-modded - I can get about 42Ly in a single jump, and it's got a class 5 fuel scoop for endless overall range. I use that to taxi me about, and plan at least an hour ahead; when I get where I'm going, I just pay to have my Vulture delivered :)

I can get pretty much anywhere in the bubble in 20 minutes or so with the Scout, so I usually do that in the morning or at lunchtime and then play in the evening when my Vulture and modules have caught up with me.
    <space for hire>
    Didn't know you could have your ship delivered!