Elite: Dangerous

What's Hot

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4696
    Where are the best places to pick up materials required for engineering.
    i also seem to be lacking stuff whenever I meet an Engineer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27081
    Where are the best places to pick up materials required for engineering.
    i also seem to be lacking stuff whenever I meet an Engineer
    Depends what you're after. Best plan is to go here:

https://inara.cz/galaxy-blueprints/

Click the blueprint you want, then hover over the materials to see where best to get them. There's more detail which is sometimes missing - for example, pharmaceutical isolators can only be found in High Grade Emissions signal sources in systems in a state of Outbreak.
    <space for hire>
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Picked up the legendary edition on ps4, bit of in impulse as I don't know much about the game but what I have seen looks good and I've heard nothing but good things.

Now let's see what I've let myself in for!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    d8m said:
    Picked up the legendary edition on ps4, bit of in impulse as I don't know much about the game but what I have seen looks good and I've heard nothing but good things.

Now let's see what I've let myself in for!
    Well, I'd love to help you out like I did with @fretmeister but there's no interop between PS4, Xbox and PC versions for now.

I will say this - until you're up on your feet, probably best to stick to Solo mode. Or, if you really feel the need to tonk around in Open, wait until you've at least got yourself a well-equipped Viper with a decent amount of armour and shields (that's probably about 2 million credits) and enough spare cash to rebuy 5 times.

Don't be that guy who blows all his money on a ship and ventures out into Open with no money left for insurance. That'll pretty much guarantee that you delete the game and never come back, because there's only one way that ends.
    <space for hire>
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4696
    To be honest I've never really had any problem playing in open,  never been attacked and I've never attached a real player
    edited June 2017
    I've done 3 tutorials(which took a while because I had to keep restarting).

Started of in solo mode and couldn't see any missions that I was ok to do so thought I'd go look for some asteroids to mine.

Got stuck in the middle of nowhere so turned it off in a huff, starting to think I should've kept my money for crash bandicoot.

I've never played a game with such  a steep learning curve.

d8m said:

Started of in solo mode and couldn't see any missions that I was ok to do so thought I'd go look for some asteroids to mine.

Got stuck in the middle of nowhere so turned it off in a huff, starting to think I should've kept my money for crash bandicoot.

Yeah, it can be a bit unfriendly to new pilots. For what it's worth, the devs scanned the database on a live stream about a year ago, and it turned out that after two years of the game being live, only *one* player had ever completed all the tutorials.

To get you started...you want a shield generator in your biggest optional slot. Put the best fuel scoop you can afford in your second-biggest slot. That should let you get a *lot* more jumps in before you have to stop at a station.

To use a fuel scoop, you need to fly near to a main-sequence star - it'll automatically engage when you're close enough. When the scooping rate tops out, don't get any closer to the star. You also have to keep an eye on your heat (north-west of your scanner). It'll warn you when you get to 80%, and if you hit 100% your modules will start to incur damage.

Main-sequence stars - the scoopable ones - are ones designated with a type of O, B, A, F, G, K or M. Generally, they're yellow or white (although not all yellow or white stars are scoopable). If you see a neutron star - one with jets coming out of the poles - steer well clear. Scooping the jets will give you a massive jump range boost temporarily, but you can easily kill yourself.

The best way to make money to begin with is by trading rare goods, which are commodities you can only buy at one station in the entire galaxy (and they're limited in the quantity you can buy at any one time). These get progressively more valuable as you travel further from that station; some you can buy for 600CR, but sell for over 20,000CR. Here's a list of all of them:

http://www.elitedangeroustrading.com/list-of-rare-goods.aspx

The best plan for trading rares is to start at Lave Station and fill your hold with Lavian Brandy. If you have any space left, head to Leesti (it's practically next-door) and fill the rest with Leestian Evil Juice. Then pick one of the other rare locations with a big allowance of the goods at least 160Ly away - make the mammoth trek over there, sell your goods and buy as many of the new rare as you can, then head back again. Do that a few times, and you'll find yourself with a couple of million pretty quickly.
    <space for hire>
    edited June 2017
    d8m said:

Yeah, it can be a bit unfriendly to new pilots. For what it's worth, the devs scanned the database on a live stream about a year ago, and it turned out that after two years of the game being live, only *one* player had ever completed all the tutorials.

To get you started...you want a shield generator in your biggest optional slot. Put the best fuel scoop you can afford in your second-biggest slot. That should let you get a *lot* more jumps in before you have to stop at a station.

To use a fuel scoop, you need to fly near to a main-sequence star - it'll automatically engage when you're close enough. When the scooping rate tops out, don't get any closer to the star. You also have to keep an eye on your heat (north-west of your scanner). It'll warn you when you get to 80%, and if you hit 100% your modules will start to incur damage.

Main-sequence stars - the scoopable ones - are ones designated with a type of O, B, A, F, G, K or M. Generally, they're yellow or white (although not all yellow or white stars are scoopable). If you see a neutron star - one with jets coming out of the poles - steer well clear. Scooping the jets will give you a massive jump range boost temporarily, but you can easily kill yourself.

The best way to make money to begin with is by trading rare goods, which are commodities you can only buy at one station in the entire galaxy (and they're limited in the quantity you can buy at any one time). These get progressively more valuable as you travel further from that station; some you can buy for 600CR, but sell for over 20,000CR. Here's a list of all of them:

http://www.elitedangeroustrading.com/list-of-rare-goods.aspx

The best plan for trading rares is to start at Lave Station and fill your hold with Lavian Brandy. If you have any space left, head to Leesti (it's practically next-door) and fill the rest with Leestian Evil Juice. Then pick one of the other rare locations with a big allowance of the goods at least 160Ly away - make the mammoth trek over there, sell your goods and buy as many of the new rare as you can, then head back again. Do that a few times, and you'll find yourself with a couple of million pretty quickly.
    I've done the flying, docking and mining tutorials.( I was planning on making my money buy mining and selling to begin with)

Game flung me in at the deep end with no guidance and I ventured out, might have to read up a bit and restart.

@d8m - ObsidianAnt has a brilliant channel on YouTube, and he's just started with his Getting Started Guide for PS4 players:

<space for hire>
    Those videos helped, it looks like last night I had a bug as the first mission shown in the video above didn't load.

started again from scratch and it popped up. 

Travelled Ed to another station to dock and finish the trade mission and struggled to land as I couldn't get it lined up right(bloody controls) so I timed out and turned it off.

looking a bit better than last night but still not good

d8m said:

Travelled Ed to another station to dock and finish the trade mission and struggled to land as I couldn't get it lined up right(bloody controls) so I timed out and turned it off.
    OK - the breakthrough for me with regards to docking was to learn how to use the vertical and lateral thrusters. Once you've got that down, it's a doddle - no more reverse-parking-in-three-dimensions issues, you literally just plonk it where you need to. The only thing you *do* have to remember is that your ship has to be almost exactly flat...even the devs have trouble with that on the live streams when they're showing off a new ship model.
    <space for hire>
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    edited June 2017
    Does this version have a docking computer that plays the Blue Danube?
    Had a bit of a breakthrough, managed to get the fuel scoop added and did a data transport mission.

Parking is still a problem though, my technique is to just get above the circle then rotate on the spot after!

edited June 2017
    d8m said:
    Had a bit of a breakthrough, managed to get the fuel scoop added and did a data transport mission.

Parking is still a problem though, my technique is to just get above the circle then rotate on the spot after!
    There's an easier way - the "swoop". I'll try to do a video for you at some point.

The key point is to put at least 2 pips into SYS (your shields), at which point you can pretty much use your shields as parking sensors without fear of damaging your ship 
    <space for hire>
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7710
    d8m said:

Then try EVE Online.

(well actually don't, but y' know) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4240
    Just ordered the PS4 version... I've barely read anything about this game but it looks like I might get hooked. Arrives this evening so I'll brush up on those vids...

Any suggestions for starting/first couple of hours?
    Just ordered the PS4 version... I've barely read anything about this game but it looks like I might get hooked. Arrives this evening so I'll brush up on those vids...

The only thing I'll say is that it's hard to start with. For the first four or five hours, expect it to be the hardest game you'll ever play.

However, when you get the hang of the basic mechanics, you'll start discovering all sorts of things which will have you marvelling at the complexity of the galaxy they've created.

Things to ignore: CQC, Multicrew. They have basically no bearing on the main game whatsoever.

Things to avoid: PowerPlay. It also has little bearing on the actual goings-on, but pledging yourself to a Power makes you a target for NPCs and players from all the other Powers, and you'll be constantly interdicted (and killed, to begin with).

Things to do: look at the Engineers as soon as you've got the ship you want and it's upgraded as far as you can make it with stock components. Popular places in Open are not really survivable without an Engineered ship; the order in which you modify components depends on the ship you have, but generally the first thing you want to do is get your FSD, thrusters and shields up to a decent standard; they're the most important components for pretty much any career other than exploration.
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    I should probably have another go at this. I did some tutorials and got fed up with the process of trying to map controls sensibly.

Also I miss having a joystick that twists.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    I should probably have another go at this. I did some tutorials and got fed up with the process of trying to map controls sensibly.

Also I miss having a joystick that twists.
    I have the Thrustmaster HOTAS X - it's pretty cheap (~£30), and does the job admirably. You do need to install JoystickCurves to customise the response curve, otherwise you'll find it's ridiculously over-sensitive.
    <space for hire>
    edited June 2017

The only thing I'll say is that it's hard to start with. For the first four or five hours, expect it to be the hardest game you'll ever play.

This.

I hated it for the first few hours and was regretting teh decision but after my breakthrough last night im starting to get the hang of it.

My aim tonight is to figure out how to expand my Sidewinders cargo capacity so i can do more courier jobs, buying and selling and maybe some mining.

Do the first 2 tutorials and the welcome mission.