Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Forum Seediness

What's Hot

Comments

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    given that half the posts appear to be about cleaning tips and health issues , the casual observer is more likely to think they've stumbled into mumsnet than a guitar forum. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    bobblehat said:
    given that half the posts appear to be about cleaning tips and health issues , the casual observer is more likely to think they've stumbled into mumsnet than a guitar forum. 
    :))

This place basically IS mumsnet for blokes. I mean... the vaaaaaaasssssst majority of people here aren't even playing guitar that regularly, and if they do, they're not doing anything that worthwhile with it.

OH NOES! A VALUE JUDGEMENT! SOMEONE SILENCE HIM!

... but seriously... it's just SevenString.org for people in their 40's and 50's.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • You're joking holn, right? Sometimes you're the worst offender - though I know you only say things in jest! Same with me - I remember that hairdresser topic - it was light-hearted jest! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Let's be honest most people know that stuff in off topic or speakers corner is going to be opinionated tripe, the people who want to engage in proper conversations usually stay well clear!

Speakers Corner!!!! Why do I never check that section, wouldn't life be better if posts from there appeared in the new posts page? Anyway I've just spent a great 10 mins there .... bullying, lucky poos, war, tits, etc. What a great place!!

You know what this place needs? More threads about anal fissures that's what. They were the best uns.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited January 2015

Drew_fx said:

Russell mate, this thread is amazing. I'd really love to know who has given you the wisdoms, because they obviously don't know you that well! I've seen your Facebook wall, and I knew instantly that this thread was a piss-take. I mean, it twas only the other day you were letching over Rita Ora on your Facebook wall, and it was only the other day you used the term "beta faggot" on your Facebook wall, and it was only the other day you were joking about stalking Taylor Swift.

So you see, I knew it just had to be a piss-take.

Well played sir. Well played.

Holnrew is Russell? 

Actually, just looking through some of Holnrew's old posts and and Drew is right about this thread.  Well played Holnrew. 

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

I always get mixed with Holrnew and Foster. Maybe we should just use our real names ;)

Is Foster still about?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I always get mixed with Holrnew and Foster. Maybe we should just use our real names ;)

Is Foster still about?

Foster appeared for a while then went AWOL.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    My name is Julia. I simply don't fit in on Mumsnet.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Isn't Julia your weekend name?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Drew_fx said:

This place basically IS mumsnet for blokes. I mean... the vaaaaaaasssssst majority of people here aren't even playing guitar that regularly, and if they do, they're not doing anything that worthwhile with it.

... but seriously... it's just SevenString.org for people in their 40's and 50's.

what is your definition of "worthwhile" ?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx said:

fings wot i leik
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27642
    holnrew said:
    I'm not one for crying sexism or anything, but some of the comments on here make me feel pretty uncomfortable, like I'm in a working men's club. If my skin's crawling, when I'm generally pretty permissive, normal people are going to find it pretty off-putting.
    And yet neither you, nor anyone else have flagged any of these posts?

We (admins) try to run the forum in line with what you lot deem acceptable, not to any other standard.  You tell us what is not acceptable by flagging those posts.   We don't intervene on the basis of a single flag, but when an individual post attracts a number of flags, we do intervene.   And then are accused of censorship (etc), but that's another thread.

There are different intervention triggers in different sections.  We rarely intervene in SC as we've made pretty clear that you put a thick skin on before you go in there (which is why it's hidden from public view).  In contrast, we'll intervene pretty quickly if someone flags a dodgy ad in the Classifieds.

Intervention ranges from just moving the thread to SC, to asking for the member to delete/amend a post (or deleting it ourselves if we need to act more quickly).  Repeat offenders are given cooler time.  Repeat repeat offenders will be banned.

We don't (can't) read all posts ourselves, and even if we did, we don't have a single admin standard of what's acceptable or not - we are three different individuals with three different standards.  Hence, we rely on you (generally) to flag stuff.

Just before everyone reaches for the flag button, frivolous flags are more likely to incur our displeasure than anything else.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Okay what the hell is going on?! :D
    All practice and no theory
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited January 2015
    Drew_fx said:
    Drew_fx said:

fings wot i leik
    I'm on here for two reasons: 1) I have a weird fondness for guitars and guitar music and 2) because I stayed (hell I even transferred from MusicRadar ! )  Every other forum I ever tried (including cars n bikes) faded rapidly.  Also very interested in jazz, but the jazzers are a -across the board it would seem - a truly boring lot. (No, not tried MumsNet  - quite enough hectoring wimmin' in life without going looking for it.*)

Must have something in common with you lot then, just wish I knew what it was, so I could see a psychotherapist about it.

*Post-post-modern comment

"Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Anyway, who's top of everyone's celebrity shag list then? Rachel Riley for me.

:P

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited January 2015
    Hobbios mum
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11948
    Drew_fx said:
    bobblehat said:

This place basically IS mumsnet for blokes. 
    I refer to this forum as GuitarMums when talking to Mrs TC
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    :D

If it makes her happy! She's in her 70's now mind :P

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• holnrew said:
    I'm not one for crying sexism or anything, but some of the comments on here make me feel pretty uncomfortable, like I'm in a working men's club. If my skin's crawling, when I'm generally pretty permissive, normal people are going to find it pretty off-putting.
    I agree. I post much less in the none gear sections of the forum than I did when it opened. Want to be neanderthals? Fine if it's a private forum - it now gives that impression - but not very inclusive or welcoming to others.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom