Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Adam_MD said:
    Bucket;553523" said:
    Fretwired said:

Top Gear's been cancelled .. no more programmes from the current series will be shown.

Do you have a source for this?
    BBC news site is saying the same thing. The next 2 episodes definitely won't air and the season finale is 'unlikely' to air.
    Apparently that's what caused the argument with Clarkson .. the BBC decided to cut two episodes and go straight to the final episode on 22 March so they could show a new series on BBC 2. Clarkson lost his rag and threatened a producer .. the BBC has now cancelled this series and it looks like the whole show will be binned.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Fretwired;553530" said:
    Adam_MD said:

Bucket;553523" said:Fretwired said:

Top Gear's been cancelled .. no more programmes from the current series will be shown.

Do you have a source for this?

BBC news site is saying the same thing. The next 2 episodes definitely won't air and the season finale is 'unlikely' to air.

Apparently that's what caused the argument with Clarkson .. the BBC decided to cut two episodes and go straight to the final episode on 22 March so they could show a new series on BBC 2. Clarkson lost his rag and threatened a producer .. the BBC has now cancelled this series and it looks like the whole show will be binned.
    The weird thing is any of the location shoots from the remaining episodes will have already been filmed a while ago and probably cost an absolute ton of money. Why would the bbc not show them when they've sunk so much money into the season. It's not like top gear doesn't pull in good ratings every week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    When they got rid of Vicky Butler-Henderson was when the slide started IMHO ......
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I suspect that this may have something to do with Clarkson's spat with a Labour MP.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'm actually on Clarkson's side judging by what is currently being said.

BBC are wankers anyway. Fuck them and fuck their "news which isn't really news anyway"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    It's like the BBC is telling people what to enjoy watching. They provide a service in exchange for the licence fee, this isn't the irst time they've forgotten that.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    edited March 2015
    holnrew;553559" said:
    It's like the BBC is telling people what to enjoy watching. They provide a service in exchange for the licence fee, this isn't the irst time they've forgotten that.
    Spot on. If people didn't like what (say) Sky provided for them, they could - and would - stop subscribing.

We have no such luxury with the BBC.

In my previous work, I dealt with a lot of BBC personnel as they made there way North to Media City. The sheer arrogance of some towards mere mortal 'non-media' people such as me was at times breath-taking.

I used to be a staunch supporter of the Beeb - these days I see it as a bloated public institution which was strayed far from impartiality in its news coverage.

The point I made earlier in the thread about having paid my licence fee in return for them airing a programme I happen to find entertaining was only partly in jest. The licence fee is just another tax - something we are compelled to pay, in order to fund a public service.

The difference between this and every other tax, is that if we don't like the way a government handles our money, there is a democratic process that enables us to get rid of them.

Not so with the the BBC....
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Clarkson is one of those people who, although I often disagree with him and find him irritating, I am glad is still allowed to exist and wobble around on my TV screen and will support his right to be himself to the last.

Cancelling Top Gear is an idiotic move from the Beeb - even when travelling abroad, "Oh!  I love British Top Gear!" seems to have become an almost mandatory statement when they find out I'm English.  

I do wish they would go back to the older less scripted format though, as when those three are just allowed to bumble around together the natural results are often some of the most genuinely amusing television I have ever watched.

I stopped paying my licence fee last year, as I don't watch live TV any more at home - shame, as I would probably have enjoyed cancelling it now.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10417
    Probably a good thing.It gives him more time to concentrate on his manifesto for his upcoming bid to become prime minister.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Weird move by the BBC - I say again, I don't see the sense in cancelling the remaining shows just because, when they would have been filmed months ago...
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Nunogilberto;553587" said:
    Weird move by the BBC - I say again, I don't see the sense in cancelling the remaining shows just because, when they would have been filmed months ago...
    The studio segment is filmed a few days before transmission and then edited together with the older parts
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Drew_fx said:
    cock-slathering over.
    Eeeeuuuuuwwww!
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    ICBM said:
    Drew_fx said:
    I love it when the proles turn against their idols.

News flash fuckers: Clarkson is the same person today that you were worshipping and cock-slathering over 10 years ago.
    I thought he was a cock at least twenty years ago, so don't count me in that…

I was genuinely surprised by the Brunel thing - I almost didn't watch it because of him, and he came across very differently, which actually made me detest his normal persona even more.

Top Gear is so far past its sell-by date it's probably started to leak, anyway. I never quite understood why it was so popular in the first place, and only got worse when it became the Clarkson show rather than making any pretence at being a car programme.

If it's really gone I won't remotely miss it. It might mean James May gets put to better use for a start.
    The little mini-run of war documentaries he did were good too - the one about the Arctic Convoys especially. He came across much better when he wasnt trying too hard and being a horrid reactionary bellend.  
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I love the format of Top Gear but have always detested Clarkson. I once saw him in a hotel lobby with his entourage, berating a young hotel receptionist with a barrage of 'F's and B's'. From then on the guy was a bit of a dick as far as I was concerned.

My vote is to keep TG going, replace the vulgar oaf Clarkson and replace him with Chris Evans or Guy Martin....now that would be good. :-)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Wolfetone;553615" said:
    I love the format of Top Gear but have always detested Clarkson. I once saw him in a hotel lobby with his entourage, berating a young hotel receptionist with a barrage of 'F's and B's'. From then on the guy was a bit of a dick as far as I was concerned.

My vote is to keep TG going, replace the vulgar oaf Clarkson and replace him with Chris Evans or Guy Martin....now that would be good. :-)
    Chris Evans would only talk all over videos made by the other presenters.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1571
    Nothing against Guy Martin, but Top Gear is a global show and even the English speaking countries would then need subtitles!
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1571
    Oh and I'm peeved that the rest of the series has been canned, it's the only show I watch on TV!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    edited March 2015
    Ah well, liked Top Gear since Clarkson took it on. I like the stupidity of it. Clarkson is a bit of a dick and I reckon a total arse to work with.. but this is true of TV in general... all that matters is do enough people watch it..

I played guitar on a TFI Friday show once, now Chris Evans... there is someone I hope I never meet again..
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah well, liked Top Gear since Clarkson took it on. I like the stupidity of it. Clarkson is a bit of a dick and I reckon a total arse to work with.. but this is true of TV in general... all that matters is do enough people watch it..

I played guitar on a TFI Friday show once, now Chris Evans... there is someone I hope I never meet again..

Even Chris Evans admits that Chris Evans was a knob back then....hopefully he's nicer these days. Tell us more about playing on TFI Friday, though!

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1348
    There's no way TG will just vanish.  Too much money to be made, too large a fan-base to just stop.

The end of the current line-up was inevitable, though.