Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Samgb said:
    Bucket said:
    Wolfetone said:
    My vote is to keep TG going, replace the vulgar oaf Clarkson and replace him with Chris Evans or Guy Martin....now that would be good. :-)
    Absolutely not - IMO it isn't Top Gear without Clarkson, Hammond and May together.

I know they've replaced presenters in the past but that all happened when they didn't have half the viewers they have now. This current line-up is the longest-running and the one everyone associates with the show, and clearly the one everyone wants to see.
    Maybe if they replaced him with someone who didnt act the tit you'd like it even more? Just saying.
    No, because Clarkson's the only one I want to see fronting it.

The three of them have chemistry, it wouldn't work with anyone else.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    edited March 2015

Cant stand the prick personally.  imageimage

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Adam_MD said:
    Reverend;553722" said:
    Pretty sure if I hit someone at work I would get suspended, pending a full investigation and disciplinary.
    Are you one of the top earners in your company though and do you bring in more business than almost everyone else? All companies operate like this the further you go up the good chain the less rules apply.
    Employment law is strict - the BBC has no choice until the facts are known. If someone swings his fist at you and misses, you have been assaulted. If someone swings at you and hits you in the face, you have been battered (again, for the purposes of civil law). The producer could bring a claim against Clarkson and the BBC and the police may yet get involved.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited March 2015
    This:

Stewart Lee on why he hates Top Gear
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4708
    I bet channel 5 will welcome the three of them with open arms to replace the current 5th gear lot.
    Create a similar format as top gear and make a fortune.

We'll then have the 5th gear guys coming back to the BBC for a car show called top gear

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    Samgb said:
    The little mini-run of war documentaries he did were good too - the one about the Arctic Convoys especially. He came across much better when he wasnt trying too hard and being a horrid reactionary bellend.  
    I didn't see those, but I can understand that he could have based on the Brunel one.

The problem for me is that it proves he is intelligent enough to know the difference, so behaving like a complete dick is clearly intentional - either on screen or otherwise. Hence I don't believe his "apologies" for his "accidental" racist remarks either. He knows exactly what he's doing - and he thinks he can get away with it because of who he is, which to me makes him quite a nasty character.

I don't think Top Gear should be cancelled because of this - that just makes him more important than the show. If other people want to watch it with or without him that's fine too, but I personally won't miss it in the slightest if it does go.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I'd rather watch Top Gear than Stewart Lee.

I'm comfortable with whatever that says about me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11532
    If you read some of his columns I get the impression that he is deliberately provocative and over the top as a reaction against political correctness, and idiot bureaucracies.  While he definitely goes (way) too far at times some of points he raises are valid.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Reverend said:
    Pretty sure if I hit someone at work I would get suspended, pending a full investigation and disciplinary.

And at our place almost certain dismissal.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22601
    edited March 2015

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    ICBM said:
    Samgb said:
    The little mini-run of war documentaries he did were good too - the one about the Arctic Convoys especially. He came across much better when he wasnt trying too hard and being a horrid reactionary bellend.  
    I didn't see those, but I can understand that he could have based on the Brunel one.

The problem for me is that it proves he is intelligent enough to know the difference, so behaving like a complete dick is clearly intentional - either on screen or otherwise. Hence I don't believe his "apologies" for his "accidental" racist remarks either. He knows exactly what he's doing - and he thinks he can get away with it because of who he is, which to me makes him quite a nasty character.

I don't think Top Gear should be cancelled because of this - that just makes him more important than the show. If other people want to watch it with or without him that's fine too, but I personally won't miss it in the slightest if it does go.
    Yep. Its obviously an act to some extent but youre right - that does not make it ok. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I love how vociferous people who don't like Clarkson tend get. Checkout this wankers comment on the BBC site:

Chicken Dave Runs Away 
    JUST NOW

I hope the BBC ban him for life. He is popular because he has low-brow appeal; i.e. those who are too lazy to think for themselves and just stand behind him, drooling and dragging thier knuckles on the floor. He is a racist, sexist bigot who appeals largely to the ignorant UKIP voter. Good riddance to a fat, wobble-faced moron is what I say. Vote me down if you ARE one of the knuckle-draggers

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    martinw said:
    I'd rather watch Top Gear than Stewart Lee.

I'm comfortable with whatever that says about me.
    Wisdom'd

One opinionated twat gobbing off about another opinionated twat (who happens to be far more popular).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Drew_fx said:
    I love how vociferous people who don't like Clarkson tend get. Checkout this wankers comment on the BBC site:

Chicken Dave Runs Away 
    JUST NOW

I hope the BBC ban him for life. He is popular because he has low-brow appeal; i.e. those who are too lazy to think for themselves and just stand behind him, drooling and dragging thier knuckles on the floor. He is a racist, sexist bigot who appeals largely to the ignorant UKIP voter. Good riddance to a fat, wobble-faced moron is what I say. Vote me down if you ARE one of the knuckle-draggers

How is that any different from this:

'I see this as another triumph for the pinko lefty politically correct mafia that infest the upper reaches of the BBC, an organisation which imo ranks as one of the most pompous, arrogant and unaccountable in the country.  The organisation that did nothing whilst some of its talent was repeatedly carrying out sexual assaults on its premises despite it being common knowledge.  It suppressed a Newsnight feature on the most notorious of those and instead broadcast eulogies to the perpetrator.  It allowed John Sweeney to continue without a murmour despite being involved in more than one fracas of his own making whilst filming pieces for Panarama.  Now it suspends Clarkson for a "fracas" off camera.  Overreaction?  Double standards?  What the BBC?  Well I never.  I smell a witch hunt and it stinks.  '

From this very thread.
    The guy polarises opinion all right! 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Samgb said:
    Drew_fx said:

Chicken Dave Runs Away 
    JUST NOW

'I see this as another triumph for the pinko lefty politically correct mafia that infest the upper reaches of the BBC, an organisation which imo ranks as one of the most pompous, arrogant and unaccountable in the country.  The organisation that did nothing whilst some of its talent was repeatedly carrying out sexual assaults on its premises despite it being common knowledge.  It suppressed a Newsnight feature on the most notorious of those and instead broadcast eulogies to the perpetrator.  It allowed John Sweeney to continue without a murmour despite being involved in more than one fracas of his own making whilst filming pieces for Panarama.  Now it suspends Clarkson for a "fracas" off camera.  Overreaction?  Double standards?  What the BBC?  Well I never.  I smell a witch hunt and it stinks.  '

From this very thread.
    Well the way I see it... one is based on personal prejudice and one is based on some pretty concrete observable facts. I'll let you figure out which is which.

Do you work for the BBC? You're coming across pretty defensive.

Also the BBC need to get their facts straight - slope is not a general slur against Asian people. It's a specific slur against Japanese people. Someone can't fact check it seems!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Truth is the BBC is a third rate TV broadcaster these days .. the big event on TV at the moment is the remake of 1970s classic Poldark .. boring period costume drama .. the books are full of sex and violence which the BBC has removed. US TV pisses all over the BBC when it comes to making innovative adult-themed TV series. The fact that people can get in a lather over Top Gear just shows the dearth of quality programming on the BBC.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    Fretwired said:
    Truth is the BBC is a third rate TV broadcaster these days .. the big event on TV at the moment is the remake of 1970s classic Poldark .. boring period costume drama .. the books are full of sex and violence which the BBC has removed. US TV pisses all over the BBC when it comes to making innovative adult-themed TV series. The fact that people can get in a lather over Top Gear just shows the dearth of quality programming on the BBC.
    Spot. On.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Drew_fx said:
    Samgb said:
    Drew_fx said:

Chicken Dave Runs Away 
    JUST NOW

From this very thread.
    Well the way I see it... one is based on personal prejudice and one is based on some pretty concrete observable facts. I'll let you figure out which is which.

Do you work for the BBC? You're coming across pretty defensive.

Also the BBC need to get their facts straight - slope is not a general slur against Asian people. It's a specific slur against Japanese people. Someone can't fact check it seems!
    I dont work for the BBC. But anyone who watches the news and thinks theyre 'Leftie' is not watching very hard. 
    I dont know why im arguing to be honest i used to like Top Gear. I went off it because i think the show is a bit of a rehash these days.

Slope is a term used in a pejorative sense against Asian people whatever the original meaning was. Giving offence is not simply a matter of your intentions being innocent, it has also to do with how it affects the person it was aimed at.
    This is where the Clarkson/Hicks(and i was a massive Bill fan) Libertarian worldview falls down - once your freedom to say or do whatever you like impinges on the happiness of other people then you cause a problem dont you? Individual liberty versus being a responsible member of a mature society is more complicated than Clarkson being a bit silly. I wouldnt conflate the two.    
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 780
    edited March 2015
    Petition to reinstate Jeremy Clarkson here:

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I think the issue that most people have with him is the fact that he's publically funded, the piss boiling would be less intense I'm sure were he on Sky/ITV or whatever.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1