Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot

Comments

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 790

I'm a huge fan of Bill Hicks. His humour strayed into many areas of controversy - a strong supporter of the use of drugs, vehemently pro-smoking, highly anti-American establishment, etc. He was not for the faint-hearted - but what he was, was honest about his view of the world. 'Cool' people tend to admire Hicks - but deride Clarkson for being similarly forth-right. The only difference is their political outlook.....
    I like Bill Hicks, but he could be a bit of a preacher (his Dad was a preacher), Lenny Bruce paved the way and paid the price.
    :)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    lloyd said:
    I think the issue that most people have with him is the fact that he's publically funded, the piss boiling would be less intense I'm sure were he on Sky/ITV or whatever.
    You're delusional if you think that is true.

People love a baddy. They fucking love it. Doesn't matter who it is really... Clarkson, Chris Evans, Ed Gein... it's all the same.

FWIW, I'm not a Top Gear or a Clarkson fan. I just can't stand prima donna thought police who think they know best for everyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Samgb said:

Slope is a term used in a pejorative sense against Asian people whatever the original meaning was.
    No it isn't. If you're using it that way, please stop.

It's a pejorative term used against Japanese people. The rest of Asia has their own words. Go learn 'em if you want to continue to be a card carrying racist.

Everything else you said... MEH.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Drew_fx said:
    Samgb said:

Slope is a term used in a pejorative sense against Asian people whatever the original meaning was.

It's a pejorative term used against Japanese people. The rest of Asia has their own words. Go learn 'em if you want to continue to be a card carrying racist.

I reckon a lot of people who'd use it wouldn't be bothered about distinguishing between different countries of origin.......These words and those that use them tend to have a one size fits all approach

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

Ahhh... if you can't get accuracy from racist fascists then the whole world truly is doomed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Drew_fx said:
    Ahhh... if you can't get accuracy from racist fascists then the whole world truly is doomed!
    I know! When I racially abuse someone I make sure that the abusive term is at least historically accurate. Standards are slipping....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 790
    edited March 2015
    Petition to reinstate Jeremy Clarkson here:

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

I don't watch Top Gear so, with this, in mind, I don't get why so many people are saying Clarkson should be kept on?

• Personally I really like Top Gear but only for the "non car stuff". I'm not a car guy but me and my wife love watching the show and laughing at the three of them together.

I would be sad to see him go, but think that Sky or another broadcaster should get in there and pick all 3 of them for a Sky 1 etc show. Not a motoring show per se, but a show where they have a larger budget and can do the specials and races etc, but that each of them has their own segment too. I loved the Toy Stories show that May did a year or so ago.

Hammond can indulge his love of bikes, May can indulge his love of engineering and building things. Clarkson can produce tyre smoke at a track and emphasise words whilst driving around. And do a Star in a Reasonably Priced Car, but also a Star in a Fast Car competition.

I think it could be the format refresh the show needs. And would free up a large amount of the BBCs budget so they can make more cooking/sewing/painting etc reality shows, I mean who doesn't want to see more of them!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Fretwired;553751" said:
    Adam_MD said:

Reverend;553722" said:Pretty sure if I hit someone at work I would get suspended, pending a full investigation and disciplinary.

Are you one of the top earners in your company though and do you bring in more business than almost everyone else? All companies operate like this the further you go up the good chain the less rules apply.

Employment law is strict - the BBC has no choice until the facts are known. If someone swings his fist at you and misses, you have been assaulted. If someone swings at you and hits you in the face, you have been battered (again, for the purposes of civil law). The producer could bring a claim against Clarkson and the BBC and the police may yet get involved.
    I agree with you except this is the BBC and they've never covered anything up have they? ;)

the reality is in most reasonable businesses punching someone at work or while representing your employer would get you sacked. If, however, you happen to bring them in more money than most other people allowances can and usually are made. Especially when that person has a fan base as large and as rabid as Jeremy Clarkson.

If I'd made a racial comment while in a meeting at work I'd have been sacked. Clarkson gets a warning. Had that have been a young broadcaster just starting out the bbc would have quietly got rid.
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Is it too soon to get Angus Deayton as a replacement?
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Or Richard bacon ;)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    When does Rolf get out ? ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    There's a pretty successful industry that goes along with TG - magazines, franchising, programme sales, TG live etc

Seems all a bit gung-ho to summarily kill it all off.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    GuyBoden said:
    Drew_fx said:
    People love a baddy. They fucking love it. Doesn't matter who it is really... Clarkson, Chris Evans, Ed Gein... it's all the same.

Chris Evans might have been a baddy, when he had that tough Orford Council estate attitude, but now he's a goody. And Good luck to him.........................
    :)

tHEY DON'T LIKE sAVILE OR gLITTER SO MUCH....
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Samgb said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Samgb said:
    Drew_fx said:
    I love how vociferous people who don't like Clarkson tend get. Checkout this wankers comment on the BBC site:

Chicken Dave Runs Away 
    JUST NOW

I hope the BBC ban him for life. He is popular because he has low-brow appeal; i.e. those who are too lazy to think for themselves and just stand behind him, drooling and dragging thier knuckles on the floor. He is a racist, sexist bigot who appeals largely to the ignorant UKIP voter. Good riddance to a fat, wobble-faced moron is what I say. Vote me down if you ARE one of the knuckle-draggers

How is that any different from this:

'I see this as another triumph for the pinko lefty politically correct mafia that infest the upper reaches of the BBC, an organisation which imo ranks as one of the most pompous, arrogant and unaccountable in the country.  The organisation that did nothing whilst some of its talent was repeatedly carrying out sexual assaults on its premises despite it being common knowledge.  It suppressed a Newsnight feature on the most notorious of those and instead broadcast eulogies to the perpetrator.  It allowed John Sweeney to continue without a murmour despite being involved in more than one fracas of his own making whilst filming pieces for Panarama.  Now it suspends Clarkson for a "fracas" off camera.  Overreaction?  Double standards?  What the BBC?  Well I never.  I smell a witch hunt and it stinks.  '

From this very thread.
    The guy polarises opinion all right! 
    Well the way I see it... one is based on personal prejudice and one is based on some pretty concrete observable facts. I'll let you figure out which is which.

Do you work for the BBC? You're coming across pretty defensive.

Also the BBC need to get their facts straight - slope is not a general slur against Asian people. It's a specific slur against Japanese people. Someone can't fact check it seems!
    I dont work for the BBC. But anyone who watches the news and thinks theyre 'Leftie' is not watching very hard. 
    I dont know why im arguing to be honest i used to like Top Gear. I went off it because i think the show is a bit of a rehash these days.

Slope is a term used in a pejorative sense against Asian people whatever the original meaning was. Giving offence is not simply a matter of your intentions being innocent, it has also to do with how it affects the person it was aimed at.
    This is where the Clarkson/Hicks(and i was a massive Bill fan) Libertarian worldview falls down - once your freedom to say or do whatever you like impinges on the happiness of other people then you cause a problem dont you? Individual liberty versus being a responsible member of a mature society is more complicated than Clarkson being a bit silly. I wouldnt conflate the two.    
    I was trying to quote the 'pinko leftie' section and put it all in by m 
    lloyd said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Samgb said:

I reckon a lot of people who'd use it wouldn't be bothered about distinguishing between different countries of origin.......These words and those that use them tend to have a one size fits all approach
    What he said. Its not necessarily what you intend but how it is taken. im sorry but that is how it works.
    Hey thanks for the Meh. I'll take that  
    You guys are just racist against accuracy.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    Not a fan of Top Gear or Clarkson. However I am a fan of cars.

He's just an arse. One of these people who thinks he's very funny. He's also ignorant and boorish, as well as boring. That program is terrible too. Just a load of sad chuffers guffawing and arse licking Clarkson's every word.

but this whole thing seems a little over the top, no doubt he'll be back
  • Crikey...6 pages and much air released, all about a bit of telly.

That's all.

Whether you're for him or agin him, it's just a bit of telly.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Drew_fx said:

People love a baddy. They fucking love it. Doesn't matter who it is really... Clarkson, Chris Evans, Ed Gein...
    Drew_fx ... ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom