Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot

Comments

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited March 2015
    Adam_MD said:
    Reverend;553722" said:
    Pretty sure if I hit someone at work I would get suspended, pending a full investigation and disciplinary.
    Are you one of the top earners in your company though and do you bring in more business than almost everyone else? All companies operate like this the further you go up the good chain the less rules apply.
    That maybe so but its a bit bullshit isnt it.

I go into work tommorow, punch a fellow employee. He complains, management says "Well he's much more valuable to the companies bottom line than you so STFU"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    hugbot;554170" said:
    Adam_MD said:

Reverend;553722" said:Pretty sure if I hit someone at work I would get suspended, pending a full investigation and disciplinary.

Are you one of the top earners in your company though and do you bring in more business than almost everyone else? All companies operate like this the further you go up the good chain the less rules apply.

That maybe so but its a bit bullshit isnt it.

I go into work tommorow, punch a fellow employee. He complains, management says "Well he's much more valuable to the companies bottom line than you so STFU"
    It's not bullshit at all. My point is rules are enforced less as you go up the chain in a company. The last business I worked for there was an altercation between the retail director and a store manager at the company conference. Both had way too much to drink and the only one who left the business was the store manager. Did they sack him? Nope they paid him to go away to avoid having to discipline both of them. Is it right or fair? Nope but its niave to think it doesn't happen.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    A thought just occurred to me (it happens OK). Could this be some kind of smoke screen? Remember the last episode where they were trying to get 3 prominent manufacturers of sports cars to allow a head to head comparison of their latest competitive product? Well maybe it has gone a bit pear shaped in some way and we can't be told 'for legal reasons'.

Or not.
    :-??
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 790
    Petition to reinstate Jeremy Clarkson here:

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2015

I mean bullshit in the sense that it clearly is sleazy bullshit when it happens, not  in the sense that that sleazy bullshit doesen't ever happen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10444
    Do we know for sure that he actually punched anyone and if he did do we know that the producer wasn't being a dick and thoroughly deserved it?It's not like the media are known for giving the full facts.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Not everyone who dislikes Clarkson is left wing.

Nor does he speak for everyone on the right.

Some spectacularly misanthropic comments on here! I particularly smiled at the suggestion that I only have two absolute options of either paying for Clarkson to have a platform for his views, (and if not him why not anyone else?) or not ever watch any live broadcast on any channel.
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Wulfhere said:
    Not everyone who dislikes Clarkson is left wing.

Nor does he speak for everyone on the right.

Some spectacularly misanthropic comments on here! I particularly smiled at the suggestion that I only have two absolute options of either paying for Clarkson to have a platform for his views, (and if not him why not anyone else?) or not ever watch any live broadcast on any channel.
    Why don't you grow some bollocks and address the comment directly instead of being all bitchy and passive aggressive?

I made that comment: and I stand by it. In the real world, those ARE the only two options you have. You don't get to specify where your TV license is spent, regardless of how entitled you feel. Like I don't get to decide where my taxes are spent!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Also pages ago but

Bucket;553298" said:
    I don't get the hate, and I tend to find the people laying into him extremely tiresome.
    Undeniably there are far more deserving targets....

I read a piece he wrote in one of the tabloids (I can't remember which one - I was reading it while waiting for my breakfast at Sainsbury's) about ISIS.

The basic points he made were entirely reasonable (particularly why is the media allowing these people to name themselves a 'State' - when clearly they are actually a large and very well-funded bunch of terrorist barbarians?)

It was well written, well argued - and funny (his suggestion was that rather than using ISIS's preferred nomenclature that we label the organisation 'Men With Incredibly Small Penises' - wish would immediately render joining them less attractive). 

I suspect his envelope-pushing is more about his objection to the curtailing of free-speech, as topics are deemed 'off limits' more and more.

I'm a huge fan of Bill Hicks. His humour strayed into many areas of controversy - a strong supporter of the use of drugs, vehemently pro-smoking, highly anti-American establishment, etc. He was not for the faint-hearted - but what he was, was honest about his view of the world. 'Cool' people tend to admire Hicks - but deride Clarkson for being similarly forth-right. The only difference is their political outlook.....
    Thats a pretty big difference?

Bill Hicks and Jeremy Clarkson are very similar...if you ignore the fact that they have totally different views and ideologies? 
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416

Drew_fx said:
    Why don't you grow some bollocks and address the comment directly instead of being all bitchy and passive aggressive?

As opposed to what, being actively aggressive?

Can't we have a debate about this without it getting personal?
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Wulfhere said:

Drew_fx said:

As opposed to what, being actively aggressive?

Can't we have a debate about this without it getting personal?
    Who's getting personal? I attacked your chosen method of argument. Not your personality.

Yes. I would rather active aggression than a snipey sarcastic response. I think most people would.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    In other news.... the planet is now heating up faster than ever, billions of tonnes of trapped methane in the permafrost and oceans will bubble to the surface, further accelerating the heating and creating an out-of-control feedback loop that will ultimately make our only home in the universe uninhabitable and we're all going to die.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Emp_Fab said:
    In other news.... the planet is now heating up faster than ever, billions of tonnes of trapped methane in the permafrost and oceans will bubble to the surface, further accelerating the heating and creating an out-of-control feedback loop that will ultimately make our only home in the universe uninhabitable and we're all going to die.

God Hates Us.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Well, that's Jessica taken out of the covers set :(

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10444
    Emp_Fab said:

It's all Clarksons fault.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited March 2015
    No Top Gear on Sunday :-( 

I usually do the ironing while watching that.....maybe Dave will come to my rescue (not with the ironing, but the entertainment).
    Result! They're repeating that Red Arrows docu from last year.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    edited March 2015
    hugbot;554197" said:
    Bill Hicks and Jeremy Clarkson are very similar...if you ignore the fact that they have totally different views and ideologies? 
    What's your point?

I said in my post that they had very different world-views - it was the honesty with which they portrayed them which I was comparing.

As I stated - I'm a fan of Hicks - I saw him live twice. That said, if my son became a drug user as a consequence of Bill's 'recommendation', I'd probably be less of a fan....

I admire the honesty of both Hicks and Clarkson - without neccessarily agreeing with either of them.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7835
    Emp_Fab;554215" said:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/09/global-warming-set-to-speed-up-to-rates-not-seen-for-1000-years
    Gonna die anyway, so in real terms not sure this news worthy ;) JC would be an interesting choice to moderate the apocalypse...
    edited March 2015
    richardhomer;554283" said:
    [quote="hugbot;554197"]Bill Hicks and Jeremy Clarkson are very similar...if you ignore the fact that they have totally different views and ideologies? 
    What's your point?

I said in my post that they had very different world-views - it was the honesty with which they portrayed them which I was comparing.

As I stated - I'm a fan of Hicks - I saw him live twice. That said, if my son became a drug user as a consequence of Bill's 'recommendation', I'd probably be less of a fan....

I admire the honesty of both Hicks and Clarkson - without neccessarily agreeing with either of them. [/quote]

You said "cool" types admire Hicks but deride Clarkson for being forthright, as if thats somehow surprisingly hypocritical.

Being "forthright" doesent make them similar at all when they're being forthright about espousing totally different things. Lots of people are forthright about stuff, Kanye West is forthright. Its like saying Martin Luthor King and Osama Bin Laden were both "outspoken" critics of the goverment.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    hugbot;554300" said:
    Being "forthright" doesent make them similar at all when they're being forthright about espousing totally different things. Thats like saying Martin Luthor King and Osama Bin Laden were both "outspoken" critics of the goverment.
    It does if you are comparing 'forthrightness' - which clearly I was.

It seems to me you want to pick a fight.

Try elsewhere....