Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC...

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6276
    lol,

yeah, he'd be crap on TG.

The Guardian - i really don't like that paper, don't think its that well written. Seems be the paper for sanctimonious people who are over educated and underpaid,

well, that's some generalisation, even for me, lmao.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Fretwired said:
    frankus said:
    I'll be honest, I never read newspapers anymore - they're biased in too many ways - political, social-mores and to that end usually an impossible  tautology of judgement and disapproval. Fuck that.

The only time I'd buy the Guardian is if I was going for a job (that I wanted) at the BBC, which would be a last resort these days, as technically gifted and intelligent their IT crew are.

I'm happy with the headlines from TV and turn off, it's not ignorance, as Mark Twain put it "If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed." .. I'd rather maintain my own mental health than have it polluted by salesmen's opinions or overwhelmed by the surplus of information - frankly papers prey on every human failing in order to obtain readership, there's nothing shining or true about the media any more, if there ever was - I'm beginning to think that was a false image implanted into our collective memory .. again to boost sales.
    Agree .. like the Mark Twain quote ... I guess in the age of social media the articles above are gold dust and click bait .. :-)
    Clickbait is an excellent phrase.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Frankus - you are absolutely right in your newspaper assessment, and I'd extend it to all forms of media.

Can I come and stay with you for a few days, so I can recline and bask in your wisdom??

only two days, for starters anyway??
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Snap said:
    lol,

The Guardian - i really don't like that paper, don't think its that well written. Seems be the paper for sanctimonious people who are over educated and underpaid,

Do The Mail for me - generalisations are the best!
    If i genuinely had to choose one paper that i thought was relatively on the money and in sync with me it would be The Independant. It used to be the Guardian but ever since they went LibDem at the last election theyve been frantically trying to justify that cock up and boy has it affected the reporting. It is well written though certainly compared to some of the papers so it puzzles me to hear you say that.

I'm compelled to keep up with the news because thats just me but i have to admit its lovely when i go on holiday and dont look at the British papers for a few weeks. Bliss, carefree bliss. And then i come home and its EUROPE, NHS, FATCATS, BANKS, FARAGE, SCROUNGERS...
    Christ, its tiresome. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2960
    Snap;555071" said:
    lol,

Might be a generaliseation but pretty much sums me up. I am not however making a bid for the currently vacant Lix position.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Every time I read a newspaper, it makes me want to go on a kill crazy rampage. 
  • underdog said:
    Teetonetal;553955" said:
    GuitarMonkey said:

This:

Stewart Lee on why he hates Top Gear

Wow, never heard of this guy before but that is spectacularly unfunny.
    You should check him out in more YouTube videos, he's consistently unfunny, he's been unfunny for decades and yet somehow manages to get more annoying and pompous the older he gets.
    Really? Its utterly brilliant. Its not supposed to be funny, its supposed to make you realise how bad they are. If it makes uncomfortable, you are part of the problem. Ive never agreed with something about hammond so much before.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Drew_fx said:

Read comics instead and everything's good.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:
    Drew_fx said:

I would, but they keep putting tits on all my favourite characters in order to prove how enlightened and progressive they are!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Drew_fx said:
    mike_l said:
    Drew_fx said:

I would, but they keep putting tits on all my favourite characters in order to prove how enlightened and progressive they are!

Wonder Woman has tits? Whatever next........ :D

(Yes I am in one of those moods today....)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Snap said:
    Frankus - you are absolutely right in your newspaper assessment, and I'd extend it to all forms of media.

Can I come and stay with you for a few days, so I can recline and bask in your wisdom??

Could you stay over on a Tuesday or Wednesday, as those are the days I do my most exercise so I seem more dynamic and go-getting...

Imagine ... "come one Snap, today is boxing with Derek Williams and Crossfit in the evening... if you're lucky we'll run home instead of catching the bus.. but don't over do it we've got UFC fitness tomorrow.... slice of apple and peanut butter?" the rest of the week I'm moody and achey ;)

As for basking in my wisdom, I agree with Socrates - the greatest wisdom is in knowing you know nothing... I am all over that shit :) except when I forget it for a short period of time.. usually life reminds me ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4718
    I listened to about half of that Stewart Lee sketch and did not find it in the least funny, making jokes about wishing people dead not funny in my book.

If you don't like Top Gear, switch it off.
    At the end of the day, it's three middle age blokes, with a dream Job, providing entertainment for the masses, yes they are opinionated, but so is most of this forum.

The BBC is probably no longer the right channel for them any more but on any other channel top gear will probably disappear into obscurity.

If Clarkson did actually hit somebody, why is he not up for an assault charge?

At the end of the day they do very little harm. Was it an Asian person who objected to the "slope" comment or a while middle class PC prick who objected?

Their Vietnam special has probably done more for the Vietnamese economy than any political wheeler dealing done by our government, like wise the Burma special.
    The Argentina special was probably mis-judged (regardless of number plate issue) as tensions are nearly as high now as they have ever been.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I listened to about half of that Stewart Lee sketch and did not find it in the least funny, making jokes about wishing people dead not funny in my book.

If you don't like Top Gear, switch it off.
    At the end of the day, it's three middle age blokes, with a dream Job, providing entertainment for the masses, yes they are opinionated, but so is most of this forum.

The BBC is probably no longer the right channel for them any more but on any other channel top gear will probably disappear into obscurity.

If Clarkson did actually hit somebody, why is he not up for an assault charge?

At the end of the day they do very little harm. Was it an Asian person who objected to the "slope" comment or a while middle class PC prick who objected?

Their Vietnam special has probably done more for the Vietnamese economy than any political wheeler dealing done by our government, like wise the Burma special.
    The Argentina special was probably mis-judged (regardless of number plate issue) as tensions are nearly as high now as they have ever been.

Clarkson 'joked' and mocked disabled.  He threatened to shoot Civil servants, and now has the backing of his mate dave. Its utterly crazy.  
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4718
    And I'm not defending Clarkson on some of his jokes and yes they are tasteless.

Although I bet everybody on this site has told a tasteless joke with tongue firmly in cheek.

What about his race on mobility scooters against disabled ex-service men?

I can certainly feel some of his sentiment against the civil service, as we are currently taking our LEA to court but his attack was on the civil service as an institution (tastelessly phrased I might add).

But we see/hear far worse on a daily basis in the papers/news and out of politicians mouths which really does hurt/kill people.

If he has hit somebody then yes he deserves what he gets. Otherwise I think he is just somebody from an older generation who has not quite grown with the times. When I think of the jokes my Grandfather used to make, I hold my head in shame.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Although I bet everybody on this site has told a tasteless joke with tongue firmly in cheek.
    Yeah! Remember that time I joked about fucking a deaf woman, oh man was everyone apoplectic at that! If Clarkson had said it, it would've been rofls all round!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7835
    underdog said:
    Teetonetal;553955" said:
    GuitarMonkey said:

This:

You should check him out in more YouTube videos, he's consistently unfunny, he's been unfunny for decades and yet somehow manages to get more annoying and pompous the older he gets.
    Really? Its utterly brilliant. Its not supposed to be funny, its supposed to make you realise how bad they are. If it makes uncomfortable, you are part of the problem. Ive never agreed with something about hammond so much before.
    This is a comedian. Since when did comedians try to not be funny? It doesn't make me feel uncomfortable. It's just not funny.  

And, I would say this, the roars of laughter that accompany some of the punch lines tells you that the same people who laugh at JC etc are the same ones laughing along here. It's the nastiness of the piece that people are laughing at, not the irony... 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    frankus said:
    Snap said:

Could you stay over on a Tuesday or Wednesday, as those are the days I do my most exercise so I seem more dynamic and go-getting...

Imagine ... "come one Snap, today is boxing with Derek Williams and Crossfit in the evening... if you're lucky we'll run home instead of catching the bus.. but don't over do it we've got UFC fitness tomorrow.... slice of apple and peanut butter?" the rest of the week I'm moody and achey ;)

As for basking in my wisdom, I agree with Socrates - the greatest wisdom is in knowing you know nothing... I am all over that shit :) except when I forget it for a short period of time.. usually life reminds me ;)
    You joke about the training, but actually, I'd be happy with that. This morning was 12 rounds on the bag incidentally, followed by porridge, grapenuts and seeds. Not ideal, but I was out of whey, and eggs were on the menu yesterday. Tomorrow will be heavy weights, followed by protein. Rock and chuffing role. How I revel in the defiance of middle age, embracing the cirsis until it becomes normality!

Socrates, now theres a chap who knew a few things. Only last week I was admiring a fresco with him in, in the Raphael rooms.The School of Athens. Stunning.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2493
    @Snap and @frankus
    Enough with the flirting, get a room.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    lustycourtier;555120" said:
    underdog said:

Teetonetal;553955" said:GuitarMonkey said:

This:

There are people much better at it than he is, he's never been funny, which is a shame since he's advertised as a comedian, it's something of a requirement for the role I feel. It's not uncomfortable, it's just painful to watch because he's just not good at it.
    I actually think Stuart Lee is fairly funny. But I think that Top Gear sketch has not aged well. I used to love it, because I could see all these different angles to it. But now it just seems kinda vacuous.