'Knackered Jack and the Resistors' UK 'Lollapaboozer' Tour 2015

What's Hot
1789101113»

Comments

• @Alnico, I'm happy to help out whenever I can. 
    Walsall and Birmingham were a blast. 

I tend to agree that a handful of well attended jams would be better than a lot of poorly attended ones. 

I think a basic "set list" would be worth getting together. The huge one that was put together earlier in the year could appear a bit daunting to some. A smaller one that the core band could have nailed would make it a bit easier on those jamming for the first time. They won't have to worry about the rhythm section going all jazz on them :) The list that @bigjon put together in the one chord progression thread in Live might be a reasonable starting point. We can alway increase it later. If any attendees have a particular hankering to play something the rest of us could always try to get it together given enough notice. 

Hope your back on your feet soon.

In jazz, no one can hear you scream
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    @Alnico, I'm happy to help out whenever I can. 
    Walsall and Birmingham were a blast. 

I tend to agree that a handful of well attended jams would be better than a lot of poorly attended ones. 

I think a basic "set list" would be worth getting together. The huge one that was put together earlier in the year could appear a bit daunting to some. A smaller one that the core band could have nailed would make it a bit easier on those jamming for the first time. They won't have to worry about the rhythm section going all jazz on them :) The list that @bigjon put together in the one chord progression thread in Live might be a reasonable starting point. We can alway increase it later. If any attendees have a particular hankering to play something the rest of us could always try to get it together given enough notice. 

Hope your back on your feet soon.

Thanks @JohnnyBradford

Yes i agree that list was massive but that was done so people could just pick and choose songs out of it and then we would all agree on a final list, which never actually happened.
    I agree totally on having a core list and not a massive one because jamming and improvising is still part of it all too but without the structure of some songs learned it can feel a bit lost.

I would be very grateful for your help John and as the 'Quality not Quantity' thing seems quite popular then it would hopefully make it easier on everyone in terms of travelling.

Looking forward to seeing you already man.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27930
    Alnico said:
    and as the 'Quality not Quantity' thing seems quite popular then it would hopefully make it easier on everyone in terms of travelling.
    Realistically, I'd guess that you could do one somewhere based on Manchester, one somewhere based on B'ham, and another or two based on London (perhaps one North/East and another one South - there are theFB hotspots around Crawley & Cambridge).

Given where we are in the year, maybe the first should be a re-run of B'ham around the Guitar Show (end Feb), with more advance prep (setlist), more advance chat here, a hardcore of confirmed & committed turner-uppers (so that others are welcome, but you're not dependant on those others turning up to make the thing viable), and some more recording done too, to build the wider interest for the subsequent gigs.

If those get a good write-up here, then others will become more enthusiastic and may spark other get-togethers elsewhere.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Alnico said:
    and as the 'Quality not Quantity' thing seems quite popular then it would hopefully make it easier on everyone in terms of travelling.
    Realistically, I'd guess that you could do one somewhere based on Manchester, one somewhere based on B'ham, and another or two based on London (perhaps one North/East and another one South - there are theFB hotspots around Crawley & Cambridge).

Given where we are in the year, maybe the first should be a re-run of B'ham around the Guitar Show (end Feb), with more advance prep (setlist), more advance chat here, a hardcore of confirmed & committed turner-uppers (so that others are welcome, but you're not dependant on those others turning up to make the thing viable), and some more recording done too, to build the wider interest for the subsequent gigs.

If those get a good write-up here, then others will become more enthusiastic and may spark other get-togethers elsewhere.
    Couldn't say it better myself.
  • A good write up helps. A lot of the pre-Fretboard meetups had Martin Aka MinkyMonkey on camera and drunken guitar and he always used to post loads of photos of the night. 

One thing we need to make sure, and it may sound obvious, is that we are clear it is not a closed shop, and whilst there may be a core/house band, anyone can get up and play. 
    At both the Birmingham Guitar show bash, and the Walsall bash both sorted out by @IanSavage, there were people who showed up with gear and then never played. 
    It can be very daunting to get up and play with people who obviously know each other and are comfortable playing together if you've not done it before.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27930
    We could investigate live streaming on the night ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    A good write up helps. A lot of the pre-Fretboard meetups had Martin Aka MinkyMonkey on camera and drunken guitar and he always used to post loads of photos of the night. 

One thing we need to make sure, and it may sound obvious, is that we are clear it is not a closed shop, and whilst there may be a core/house band, anyone can get up and play. 
    At both the Birmingham Guitar show bash, and the Walsall bash both sorted out by @IanSavage, there were people who showed up with gear and then never played. 
    It can be very daunting to get up and play with people who obviously know each other and are comfortable playing together if you've not done it before.
    A very good point, well put John.
  • It does look like I'll be missing the Birmingham show. The dates clash with a good friends birthday which has been in my diary for ages. 
    I will be up for other dates though.

Sorry Chaps.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    I'm in if there is any HERTS,BEDS,BUCKS venues
    Assume you all like Accordion ?
    Dominic said:
    I'm in if there is any HERTS,BEDS,BUCKS venues
    Assume you all like Accordion ?
    Please @Dominic , i have a request and i will see it would be a great pleasure for me if you can do this........

I live in Bedford so arranging a Local-ish jam next year will be easier than any other. If i do this and put this on around our way, would you PLEASE bring that Accordion and play 'The Irish Rover' with me ?

It's one of my favourite songs in the world and i'm beaming right now just thinking about it.

Do you think you could do that ?