Can you wear a band t-shirt without knowing the band?

What's Hot
This is becoming more of a trend as of a late: people wearing a certain band t-shirt without knowing the band or ever been to one of their concerts. People wear them for fashion yet have no idea about what they are wearing! What is your opinion on the band t-shirt debate?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31150
    edited April 2015
    If it's in latex or rubber or leather I'm there already.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If the Ramones sold as many records as they did t-shirts, they'd be bigger than the Beatles.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I don't wear band t-shirts, but it's just a fashion thing. It does amuse me to see 13year olds with Ramones and Rolling Stones t-shirts. Doesn't do any harm though does it (apart from the bands getting zero £££ for it from Prinark et al?)

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited April 2015
    I say fair enough.  There isn't an entrance test to buying music gear, plenty of people who can't play own nice gear because it brings them happiness in some form.  Same thing with T shirts and fashion, if they want it they can buy it without needing to justify any knowledge of the band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221

I don't like it. I make an exception for the under 5s (that said, my kids have had several band t-shirts and have usually actually liked the bands on them) but I think it's kinda bullshit for adults to be wearing band shirts when they have no idea who the band is. I feel quite strongly about my body being a walking billboard for shit, and I feel like what's on my t-shirt could and should inform someone's opinion of who and what I am.

I must be getting old- I remember this debate going around years back when Jennifer Aniston used to wear an MC5 shirt on Friends.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774

I don't like it. I make an exception for the under 5s (that said, my kids have had several band t-shirts and have usually actually liked the bands on them) but I think it's kinda bullshit for adults to be wearing band shirts when they have no idea who the band is. I feel quite strongly about my body being a walking billboard for shit, and I feel like what's on my t-shirt could and should inform someone's opinion of who and what I am.

I must be getting old- I remember this debate going around years back when Jennifer Aniston used to wear an MC5 shirt on Friends.

Ive bought my kids a few band t-shirts and its very cute. I figure they get a pass because of me! But wearing a band t-shirt because its trendy is a classic Hipster Move. Textbook.
  • Its cool unless it backfires spectaulary ala PlanB and the Skrewdriver shirt....

Jennifer Anniston is a massive music lover. Even made a Documentary on Jeff Buckley.  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    So how do you qualify this? Do you have to walk up to every band t shirt wearer Average Joe and quiz their knowledge of said band?

Somewhat time consuming...
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I think it's OK, I've been wearing AC/DC T shirts for years, and I'm as straight as a die...

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878
    I remember telling a 20-ish year old woman on the Tube that I had 'that' T-shirt from 25 years ago (Motorhead) and I asked her if she had ever seen them live.

She told me she didn't realise it was a band.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

8reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12459
    It's just fashion isn't it, There is a tendency for "REAL" fans to feel that they somehow own exclusive rights to wear a band T shirt.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16396
    I like people who are prepared to declare their love of somebody unhip on their chest. Seen Celine Dion in Vegas? Wear that t shirt with pride. Seen Chess the musical on tour? Unbutton that jacket. Let's not wear clothing with claims of who we like or feel we should like. Get that Steps t shirt out of the back of the wardrobe. That Chris De Burgh baseball cap that was the only thing you could afford at the concessions stand - the sun is out, wear it to shield your eyes today.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12459
    I was going to don my Butlins baseball cap today but it makes me look like a nonce.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4640
    KICK OUT THE JAMS!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Specifically metal/heavy rock fans* wear the T shirts/jackets etc to say "I'm a fan of this band, I'm friendly, we're all the same" whereas a schoolie will wear the same shirt for posing.

I'm unsure about other genre's, but generally this seems to be true.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    If I don't know a band's music, I won't wear a T-shirt with their name on it, why would I?

Same goes for everyone else. If you listen to the Ramones, fair enough, wear it. If you don't, why the fuck are you bothering?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • It's just fashion isn't it, There is a tendency for "REAL" fans to feel that they somehow own exclusive rights to wear a band T shirt.
    I once got abused by a group of miniMoshers in Manchester city centre for being a "f*cking hipster, wearing a metal t-shirt because it's cool"… I turned around & pulled my phone out of my pocket & showed them it. Now playing: Pantera- Vulgar Display. 

I think this sums the attitude of a large group of fans attitudes: Who knows, MAYBE Chris Brown really likes hardcore punk!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, you can wear whatever the hell you like as far as I'm concerned.
  • "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I've always fancied having a Kane West T-shirt .. big fat balding middled aged bloke wearing a Kane West t-shirt. I get a photo and ping it out all over Facebook in the knowledge that he'd be so pissed off when he sees it.

I bet David Cameron's pissed off he's related to Kane West's clan ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!