Can you wear a band t-shirt without knowing the band?

What's Hot

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2015
    Or someone is trying to cling on and ride the back of someone else's notoriety.  I might wear a T shirt with an artist, if it had a good quote on it though, rather than a band name.  It's like CBGB T shirts.  You ever been to LA?  Fuck that is as sad as me wearing an Indy 500 T shirt or a Che Guevara T shirt.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2015

I'd wear a Metallica T Shirt if it had the slogan

'Which of these men will be bald at 50' on it, or 'Everyone hates you because you're a ginger cock'

It would bring it down to earth.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11769
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I remember telling a 20-ish year old woman on the Tube that I had 'that' T-shirt from 25 years ago (Motorhead) and I asked her if she had ever seen them live.

She told me she didn't realise it was a band.
    I was going to say you can't wear a band t-shirt without knowing the band, because you would at least know their name, but I think this proves it is actually possible. :)

Myself, I wouldn't wear a band t-shirt of a band I didn't like, why would you? Actually, don't think I have any band t-shirts, though if I ever find a colour swansong one I'll get it. I do have a Vox t-shirt which is made of something similar to crêpe paper (it's surprisingly resilient).
    edited April 2015
    I'd wear a 'Sting' T shirt, or maybe a Madonna 'Material Girl' or a Bono one, but it would have to have 'Is a complete cock... or 'Sad twat' or 'Steals all our footpaths, lynch her' underneath in bold letters.  My favourite T shirt is a 'Dr Pepper' T shirt I got from Walmart and I love Dr Pepper, I drink it almost every day.
    tFB Trader
    I'll happily wear a band t shirt if I really like the band and really like the design of the shirt, although I did go off wearing band shirts for a long while.

The only time I broke the wearing the shirt when I wasn't that keen on the band rule was a doors T shirt becaue Jim Morrison looked cool as hell on it

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited April 2015
    I'd like to get a T shirt with an image of my grinning face on it and the slogan 'Fuck off'
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5203
    BloodEagle;580319" said:
    Reverend said:

gusman2x;579916" said:Nah, I wouldn't, but it doesn't bother me to be honest. What really does boil my piss however, is people wearing band t shirts to see gigs not by that band. Nonsense elitist shit.As an aside, does anyone wear their own band t shirt? And in what context, just live, for social?

The rule is you don't wear the shirts of the band you are seeing.

Unless you have a very rare shirt.

IBTINL era Bolt Thrower etc
    I have about 200 shirts so no excuse for wearing a bands shirt to their own gig
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
     I'm simply not the right shape for T shirts....

Neither am I. It still don't fucking stop me........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Download 2005 or 2006. Black Sabbath played. Ozzy was there. Had to sell ladies g-strings with his face right on the smoochie spot. Weird.
    tFB Trader
    Sambostar said:
    I'd like to get a T shirt with an image of my grinning face on it and the slogan 'Fuck off'
    We're starting to see a trend emerging here Sambostar...

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5203
    mike_l;580524" said:
    richardhomer said:

I hate shirts that have arms made for a different size. Xl shirt. Xxxxxl arms

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Reverend;580572" said:
    [quote="mike_l;580524"]richardhomer said:

I hate shirts that have arms made for a different size. Xl shirt. Xxxxxl arms[/quote]

^ This!...my guns feel betrayed!

Also it does bother me when i see you people walk out of shops like urban outfitters having just bought a relic'd iron maiden or metallica t-shirt.

But on the other hand, i would guess that when i wear band t-shirts, there are other metal heads who think im wearing something i dont know as well.

So i've learnt not to judge too harshly...
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7395
    Reverend said:
    mike_l;580524" said:
    richardhomer said:

I hate shirts that have arms made for a different size. Xl shirt. Xxxxxl arms
    They're jumpers.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    I wear band T shirts all the time.  Or film T shirts.  

The majority of T shirts have some kind of logo, image or slogan on them.  Most people wander around wearing trendy brand names or something completely meaningless, like the name of a random American city in a stupid font.  Personally If I'm going to be seen wearing "advertising" I'd prefer it to be something I actually like. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Saw a girl in a Joy Division one earlier and asked her if she was a fan - she looked at me oddly and asked 'what's Joy Division?'

Stop crying, start buying
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Haha, well... I was going to say "no it's totally unacceptable", but then I decided that I don't want to be viewed as a hypocrite. After all, I own Star Wars PJs and a Star Wars tee without actually having ever seen the films. 

"Why?!" you ask
    1) My name is Luke. I've been subject to many "I am your father..." jokes/comments. 
    2) It's cool
    3) People ask about it and I need the social interaction to come to me, instead of me having to seek it out :P 

Oh. And actally... both times I bought these things because I urgently needed some PJs as I was unexpectedly staying somewhere overnight, and the tee was because for some reason my anti-perspirant failed to deodorise me. And I was meeting a friend. And I didn't want to smell. So I got a Star Wars tee cos it was cheap and some deodorant. Problem solved.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    edited April 2015
    I'm guilty of doing this all the time, I get given a shit load of bands t-shirts, half of them are from bands I have never even heard of, do I wear them, yeh, they're free t-shirts to me, it saves me the hasle of clothes shopping, nowadays I get a shit load of free bands hoodies, again half to most of them I haven't heard of and will probably never listen to, or if I did I would probably not be a fan of, but again, it's free clothing that I don't care about, it means I can save my Gucci clothing for when I'm out with the girlfriend, and not at work.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested