The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11441
    Watson should have focused on batting alone.

With a small diversion learning about the LBW law.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22600
    scrumhalf said:
    Watson should have focused on batting alone.

With a small diversion learning about the LBW law.
    It's quite some going for July to be the 6 year anniversary since Watto played Test cricket and he's still known as the worst DRS requester of all time (despite Stuart Broad's best attempts to take the crown).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14828
    tFB Trader
    @sixstringsupplies - glad you enjoyed some live cricket - crowd sounded nice and vocal - Edgbaston and Headingly have a good reputation for the 'party vibe' - Going with 3 other mates to Leeds in August (if all goes well) - In the new main stand that backs on to the Rugby field so near 3rd man area - 1st day of the test - Staying over as well so looking forward to a 'long day' back in God's chosen county
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    @sixstringsupplies - glad you enjoyed some live cricket - crowd sounded nice and vocal - Edgbaston and Headingly have a good reputation for the 'party vibe' - Going with 3 other mates to Leeds in August (if all goes well) - In the new main stand that backs on to the Rugby field so near 3rd man area - 1st day of the test - Staying over as well so looking forward to a 'long day' back in God's chosen county
    It’s a cracking view up there! Here’s a pic from Day 4 of the Sussex game I went to the other week:

https://imgur.com/a/Z0osRcd
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 430
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you ;it was a great day out just a shame the cricket from England was terrible.

To be honest, as much as the Hollies stand looks fun and amazing from TV, it gets really annoying after the first couple of hours and 99th rendition of "Don't take me home". Even more so when you go a get a pint just before the interval and have to queue up behind a crowd of England football shirts. Some of whom admitted they don't like cricket they were there for the piss up.

Anyway, anybody watching the Test Championship Final tomorrow? Gunning for NZ or India? I can really see India spinners coming into it but would rather NZ won. At least they have had 2 tests to get in the groove.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 430
    tFB Trader
    PS this was the beer snake during the MORNING session. I think they overdid it and exhausted themselves as it got a bit tame after that. Too much beer and sun must have taken its toll.

For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    I'd have thought NZ should be heavy favourites, India have had no preparation at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    "Eoin Morgan on BBC Two: "I would have looked to do the same had we won the toss so nothing changes. We like chasing because if we play well it suits us, but ultimately we have to play well. Jos Buttler misses out with a calf strain while Chris Woakes can't play two days in a row so Sam Billings and David Willey come in. The level of intensity in last night's win was as good as it has been for a while. We want to continue to do that in this game."

Chris Woakes bowled three whole overs last night. He's not injured otherwise it would have been announced as it has with Buttler. He can't possibly be rested because he's bowled a grand total of 14 overs across five T20 games in June and hadn't played before that since the 18th of April in the IPL prior to it being postponed. 

@guitars4you it was a great day out just a shame the cricket from England was terrible.

To be honest, as much as the Hollies stand looks fun and amazing from TV, it gets really annoying after the first couple of hours and 99th rendition of "Don't take me home". Even more so when you go a get a pint just before the interval and have to queue up behind a crowd of England football shirts. Some of whom admitted they don't like cricket they were there for the piss up.

Anyway, anybody watching the Test Championship Final tomorrow? Gunning for NZ or India? I can really see India spinners coming into it but would rather NZ won. At least they have had 2 tests to get in the groove.
    There's a few folk in this thread agreeing with you about the Hollies after the pitch invasion tonight.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2861

So why is Eoin Morgan never considered for our problematic test middle order?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11441
    He's never done it at test level. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11527
    sev112 said:

16 tests with a batting average of 30.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2861
    Sounds pretty good for me :)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14828
    tFB Trader
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11527
    edited July 2021
    Jack Leach bowling well for Somerset.  5 for 38 at the moment.

Ashwin 1 for 99 for Surrey so quite impressive from Leach.  Not impressed with Surrey giving Ashwin a nice warmup for the test series though.
    sev112 said:

The question to ask is: why would IPL playing England ODI and T20 captain Eoin Morgan want to play Test cricket at the age of 34? He hasn't played a first-class match since April 2019 so it's fair to say he's set his path. 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/county-div-2-2019-1166901/middlesex-vs-lancashire-1166976/full-scorecard

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    I saw Morgan play for Middlesex against Northants in a County Championship game maybe three years ago. He looked like he would rather have been anywhere else and I think got a pair.
    crunchman said:
    Jack Leach bowling well for Somerset.  5 for 38 at the moment.

Ashwin 1 for 99 for Surrey so quite impressive from Leach.  Not impressed with Surrey giving Ashwin a nice warmup for the test series though.
    Ashwin bowled first and bowled a bit too slow. Second innings he bowled quicker although handed some wickets with at least one dubious decisions and two fucking atrocious reverse sweeps. 

Leach looked very good indeed. There's a change in his bowling again from the winter If you can imagine him at the start of his run bowling around the wicket to a right hander, then his feet are pointing to the left of the stumps. His run up begins and he runs into the stumps rather than parallel to the stumps as he was in the past. Just before the bowling crease, his body moves outwards and the back leg is straighter going through the delivery. Really was giving it a good rip and the indicator of this wasn't so much the turn he was getting as it was a helpful wicket but drift in the air. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    I see the Roses game at Headingley was abandoned yesterday, because of an "unsafe ground" (!) - Dom Leech apparently collided with a concrete structure. 

I thought Yorks would be sanctioned for this in some way, but instead they are given a draw!
    Nitefly said:
    I see the Roses game at Headingley was abandoned yesterday, because of an "unsafe ground" (!) - Dom Leech apparently collided with a concrete structure. 

I thought Yorks would be sanctioned for this in some way, but instead they are given a draw!
    I'm wondering if the HSE might get involved here as it's not a typical sports injury and I think head coach Andrew Gale's words are quite eyeopening:

"Dom's gone to hospital to get an X-ray to see what the damage is. Whether he's slipped and done something mechanical to his knee or he's hit it on the sponsorship board at the side is unsure.

"But fingers crossed, it's not too serious. He's slipped trying to flick the ball back and his leg's sort of gone underneath him and his momentum's carried him into the sponsor's board.

"I went over and Dom's a pretty touch cookie and he was in a lot of pain. He was asking for pain relief right away so we hope he'll be OK.

"That side of the ground has been a concern for a few years. The problem is the water comes up as more people stand on it.

"At the start of play, it was OK. Jordan Thompson struggled with his run up and pulled out twice and a few lads said the water was coming from underneath.

"I'm not an expert, but since that new stand was built, there's been a problem with the ground on that whole side."

I am presuming that Gale means the Emerald stand that opened in May 2019. So if water issues has been an issue for years and the stand has exacerbated that and Yorkshire knew about it, was that information conveyed to the umpires when it came to their assessment as to whether it was safe for play?