The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11536
    Stuckfast said:
    Heartfeltdawn said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the cricket but no real difference in the cricket between this and T20. 

This is the key, for me. It's not different enough. T20 accidentally revolutionised the way the game is played. It created new tactics, new shots, new bowling techniques. It created a platform for legends of the game to spend their twilight years touring the world topping up the pension.

It's hard to see how the Hundred requires different tactics, shots and bowling techniques from T20.

If you want a gateway into the game for people who don't know the game, then T20 is less bad.  At least it introduces concepts like 6 ball overs, and is more like the proper game.

The big problem for me is the whole franchise system.  How can I support one of these teams that I have absolutely no connection to?  The players are just a bunch of mercenaries who will change from year to year.  If I watch a Somerset game, you get institutions like James Hildreth, and you get local boys like Lewis Gregory and Craig Overton.  I have a connection with that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 430
    tFB Trader
    I’m ashamed to say I’m actually quite enjoying The Hundred *hides behind sofa*

I’m enjoying the glitz and effort put into it, the cheesey 80s graphics and as I’m a fan of Tuffers and Vaughan I enjoy the commentary.

but I suspect I’m only enjoying it because it is a form of live cricket on terrestrial TV and with sod all on, I’m watching it. 

i don’t get the 5 ball overs, nor do the commentators as they have to keep correcting themselves. Sorry, I mean “set of 5”

Some of the games have actually been appalling.

But to me it really begs the question. They really didn’t need to introduce a new competition, just put the same effort into promoting, re-vamping and re-branding the T20 blast competition. It could easily rival the IPL a d the BBL in Australia. 

Oh and less of the random interviewing of kids in the crowd saying how much they love it. Definitely seems a bit forced! 

Last week I said to my mate I hope the Hundred crashes and burns after one year and it gets scrapped and forgotten about. Now I just wish they would have re-designed the T20 blast.  Now it’s too late.

Anyway, the test squad looks to be full strength with the exception of Woakes and Archer who are both injured.

i think Sibley will play first test and then Hameed, depending on Sibley’s form, will get a game at some point in the series. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    I was wrong to be cynical about the hundred I think it’s great. Jemimah Rodrigues innings yesterday was great!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11445
    Never mind the Hundred, Kent just chucked away a game against Worcs in the 50-over cup.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2865
    I have a great feeling of dread with so many kids and babies encouraged in, at the same time as encouraging the batsmen to hit balls into the crowd 
    I can’t believe this won’t end badly.
    normal cricket crowds include people who watch what’s going on, track the ball and potentially are able to catch it 
    but the demographics are different, and even a dropped cricket ball onto the head of a kid in the row below doesn’t bear thinking about 
    :(
    comes from a recurring nightmare I still have from about 40 years ago playing cricket on a proper pitch in a park in London, and watching the batsman slog one to square leg where there was a woman pushing a pram in the path. Came down from a massive height and missed the pram by a foot
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 548
    A few thoughts on the new tournament. The core skills and potential for decent T20 style excitement are still there. Yesterday's games were very good, both mens and womens. I have no idea who the teams are ... one was in yellow pretty much sums it up. The 5 ball 'sets' are a pointless change. The commentators have no idea what to call them. In changing this they have lost the concept of runs per over and one of the key concepts in any form of limited overs cricket is how the required run rate changes. The BBC coverage is just absolutely execrable. The non-interviews, the graphics, it's just childish shite that won't appeal to anyone over about the age of seven. Laughable. The saving grace is the ability to watch the games streamed on Youtube via Sky where the inane 'BBC agenda' bollocks is absent.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14846
    tFB Trader
    So no Ben for the summer Test matches - Hope that now allows Sam Curran to establish the all rounder slot - Probably bat at 7, with Jos Butler at 6

This will allow 5 dedicated batsman + 4 dedicated bowlers (Root a few overs if required ) with Jos/Sam at 6/7
    Is Woakes still crocked? 
    So no Ben for the summer Test matches - Hope that now allows Sam Curran to establish the all rounder slot - Probably bat at 7, with Jos Butler at 6

This will allow 5 dedicated batsman + 4 dedicated bowlers (Root a few overs if required ) with Jos/Sam at 6/7

Need to find a way to get Foakes in if he's fit.  No good having Buttler or Bairstow dropping catches and missing stumpings.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    I'd still rather have Woakes as all-rounder than Curran. Come to think of it I'd take Ollie Robinson ahead of Curran too.
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:

Need to find a way to get Foakes in if he's fit.  No good having Buttler or Bairstow dropping catches and missing stumpings.
    Original England squad before Stokes pulled out - so no Foakes or Woakes - : Joe Root (Yorkshire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Dom Bess (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Sam Curran (Surrey), Haseeb Hameed (Nottinghamshire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Mark Wood (Durham)

Stuckfast said:
    I'd still rather have Woakes as all-rounder than Curran. Come to think of it I'd take Ollie Robinson ahead of Curran too.
    I think Curran offers something a bit different to a 4 man attack (assuming 3 pace + 1 spin or indeed 4 pace) - Agree he is not a main line bowler if you only had a 4 man attack - But in that all rounder role he is more than useful with the ball and bat - Last time India toured he was arguably our best player
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    Is Olly Stone injured yet again?

That looks a fairly iffy squad without Stokes, Woakes and Foakes. Also robs us of many potential rhyming dismissals.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

Can't recall when he had so many places up for grabs - With only Root, Butler, Anderson, Broad guaranteed places 

Otherwise I can't see who has nailed down a slot - I'd go with Sam Curran at 7 in the all rounders role (Butler to bat at 6) so pick 4 other batsman to go with Root - Pick 2 other bowlers to go with Anderson/Broad 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2865
    I have always wondered about Sam Curran, but I am consistently proved wrong when he takes wickets, scores runs, takes high pressure situations well, and is a good fielder 
    sev112 said:
    I have always wondered about Sam Curran, but I am consistently proved wrong when he takes wickets, scores runs, takes high pressure situations well, and is a good fielder 

And he'll make rough for Ashwin to bowl into!
    tFB Trader
    Slightly weird line up - Curran in, but also an extra batsman and no spin - I thought Curran as an all rounder, batting at 7 would allow an additional 4 bowler line up , so space for 1 spin - Combination of lack of confidence in the batting line up and probably lack of confidence in the ability of our spinner options - Looking forward to a good series
    Lack of a frontline spinner could hurt us in the fourth innings but... 

Oh bollocks, Burns LBW in the first over. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Three down for buggerall, as usual. Bairstow playing his first first-class innings of the summer. In August!

The schedule is insane this summer. It's no sort of preparation for the Ashes. We are going to get royally thumped. 
    155-7.

We'll be bowling tonight at this rate. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    Gotta stop picking these frightened kids who can’t bat. Stick YJB at the top of the order and get after them. It doesn’t look much fun for them these days.