The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14846
    tFB Trader
    So about a week to go before the Hundred starts

At the moment I can't even get excited about it - I'm not even sure who my team is to support - Yorkshire is my regular team to follow, so there is some logic to following the Northern  Supercharges but they are not Yorkshire 

I dare say that I'll watch games as and when time allows, but I don't see me dedicated time to the event 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11536
    edited July 2021

At the moment I can't even get excited about it - I'm not even sure who my team is to support - Yorkshire is my regular team to follow, so there is some logic to following the Northern  Supercharges but they are not Yorkshire 

I dare say that I'll watch games as and when time allows, but I don't see me dedicated time to the event 

I won't watch any.

Growing up in East Devon, around 20 miles from Taunton, I support Somerset.  I have no affinity with any of these teams.  They are artificial constructions that completely ignore the history of English cricket.

2020 cricket is bad enough. When Somerset were involved in finals day I would watch 2020, but otherwise I don't watch 2020.  The format of this is even more ridiculous and contrived.

Our best bet is to ignore it completely, not go to any games, not click on any links about it, not watch it on the TV, and hope to kill if off as soon as possible.  If all cricket fans did that it would die very quickly.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4701
    crunchman said:

I won't watch any.

Growing up in East Devon, around 20 miles from Taunton, I support Somerset.  I have no affinity with any of these teams.  They are artificial constructions that completely ignore the history of English cricket.

2020 cricket is bad enough. When Somerset were involved in finals day I would watch 2020, but otherwise I don't watch 2020.  The format of this is even more ridiculous and contrived.

Our best bet is to ignore it completely, not go to any games, not click on any links about it, not watch it on the TV, and hope to kill if off as soon as possible.  If all cricket fans did that it would die very quickly.
    But is it aimed at cricket fans?  I think it's aimed more at people who hitherto have had no real interest in cricket, in an attempt to make it attractive to those with ever-decreasing attention spans.   TBH, I've always pooh-poohed the concept of T20, but I watched most of last night's Eng - Ind game and it was quite entertaining.

Three formats (T20, 50-over and 4/5 day) is plenty, IMO.  If you can't get kids interested in cricket by taking them to an evening of T20, I think it's safe to say they're never going to be a cricket fan.  Hopefully they like it, and you can move them on to the proper stuff.

The ECB is behaving like Henry Juszkiewicz and Gibson.  Trying to tell the public what they want, instead of just asking them and listening.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:

I won't watch any.

But is it aimed at cricket fans?  I think it's aimed more at people who hitherto have had no real interest in cricket, in an attempt to make it attractive to those with ever-decreasing attention spans.   TBH, I've always pooh-poohed the concept of T20, but I watched most of last night's Eng - Ind game and it was quite entertaining.

Three formats (T20, 50-over and 4/5 day) is plenty, IMO.  If you can't get kids interested in cricket by taking them to an evening of T20, I think it's safe to say they're never going to be a cricket fan.  Hopefully they like it, and you can move them on to the proper stuff.

The ECB is behaving like Henry Juszkiewicz and Gibson.  Trying to tell the public what they want, instead of just asking them and listening.

The Hundred is the 2015 Les Paul with the horrible signature, wide neck, and the robotuners nobody wanted.  People voted with their wallets, and it finished the Henry J era off.  Lets do the same with the hundred.  Leave them with empty grounds and woeful viewing figures.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11445
    The Hundred is a marketing exercise with an even more bastardised form of cricket in the background.

The powers that be are banking on people who have never been to a cricket match suddenly taking a shine to a cut-down version being played by teams with very little in the way of links to the area in which they are playing.

It's buggered up the season for those of us with no allegiance to made-up teams. I hope it dies a death so we can get back to what's important - winning back the Ashes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22607
    edited July 2021

https://i.imgur.com/BZLPuiz.png

Points of interest: 

1. "A terrestrial audience of 1.6 million watched the opening game of The Hundred, making it the most watched women's cricket match ever televised on the BBC."

-can't imagine the previous record was high. 

2. "
    The crowd of 7,395 in attendance at the Oval also broke the modern-day record for a domestic women's match."

-Elizabeth Ammon in the Times reported 5,000 tickets were freebie giveaways. 

3. Not one T100 article has a reader comments section. Protective!

4. The main article here isn't attributed to any BBC writer which is odd for a lead article. To say it is riddled with bullshit is an understatement:

"
    The crowd was undoubtedly younger and more diverse than those seen at men's internationals, or in the current Twenty20 Blast."

-Diversity by what metrics? Undoubtedly younger but hardly surprising if two-thirds of your spectators paid fuck all to get in. 

"Groups of young girls wandered into the famous old ground. Families took their seats with some children too small to hold a cricket ball, never mind swing a bat."

-Are we planning to indoctrinate them before they're capable of sentient response or do these little ones already possess an opinion on why you shouldn't open up with YJB and Jason Roy together? 

"Instead of the bars, it was caterers selling pizza and ice cream that had the longest queues."

-So the teams are sponsored by junk food and the audience scoffed junk food. 

"
    Other new inclusions were white cards held-up by umpires to signal the end of an bowler's set of five balls, an LED tunnel through which players entered the field and the flames that erupted from the boundary edge after a four, six or wicket."

Flames are a new inclusion. Durham in 2015 didn't get the memo clearly. 

Durham Jets v Birmingham Bears- NatWest T20 Blast  News Photo

"In total around 7,400 people attended the game, a number believed to be a record for a women's professional, domestic cricket match anywhere in the world.

A large number of those were given away free - but when the object is expanding in the game, does that really matter?"

It does when you're claiming records when 30 seconds on Google would tell you that 13,432 people attended the Australia-India World T20 game at Sydney Showground Stadium on 21 February 2020. You might then look to check out how many attended the Final...

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/1651971

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/womens_t20_world_cup_2020/t20_world_cup_final_smashes_womens_cricket_attendance_record_mcg.html

As for the final line...

"The next question - can the men ride the wave the women have provided?"

Given the commercial history of women's cricket in this country, I'm allowing myself a long long laugh. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I have not liked the idea of the Hundred since it was announced but I thought I'd give it a try on the telly.

I lasted about three balls before the on-screen graphics destroyed my eyesight.

Chad Valley cricket, I hope it bombs. 
    edited July 2021
    scrumhalf said:
    I have not liked the idea of the Hundred since it was announced but I thought I'd give it a try on the telly.

I lasted about three balls before the on-screen graphics destroyed my eyesight.

Chad Valley cricket, I hope it bombs. 

I watched the rerun on iPlayer this morning. The graphics aren't the worst around. The intro and early interview with Mady Villiers was excruciating. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with the cricket but no real difference in the cricket between this and T20. 

Overall: it's a horribly packaged thing that claims to reinvent the wheel, doesn't, and is already applauding itself for audience numbers and diversity based on one game in the diverse kingdom that is London. 

Getting back to cricket, does Hameed displace Sibley against India?  112 out of a total of 220 in the first innings, and a not out in the second.
    crunchman said:
    Getting back to cricket, does Hameed displace Sibley against India?  112 out of a total of 220 in the first innings, and a not out in the second.

This is the grand ECB plan: fast paced fun with the Hundred, England 31 for 0 at lunch on Day 1 with those two opening up. 

tFB Trader
    Ref my earlier comment about who do I follow/support as a Yorkshire man - My players are all over the place - Bairstow/Root etc are not even in a northern team - Part of me says watch it - Part of me says don't bother - Don't bother is winning 

Bairstow is now Welsh - Malan and Root have gone to the midlands - Crazeeeeee
    tFB Trader
    Ref my earlier comment about who do I follow/support as a Yorkshire man - My players are all over the place - Bairstow/Root etc are not even in a northern team - Part of me says watch it - Part of me says don't bother - Don't bother is winning 

Then you look on the BBC site, cricket section and there is a Royal London One Day Cup going on at the same time - We've just finished a 3 day 20/20 v Pakistan - A test match series is about to start v India in a week or so - How can the 'domestic' counties put together a decent team - more crazeeeeeee
    I refuse to even click on the links about the Hundred on the BBC site.  The more clicks they get, the more they will think it's a "success".
    Of course the Beeb are flogging it to death on their website, it's always been their way.

If they have the rights to cover a tournament it is the greatest tournament of all time. If they don't it gets relegated to a couple of paragraphs after the Vietnamese horseracing results. 
    scrumhalf said:
    Of course the Beeb are flogging it to death on their website, it's always been their way.

If they have the rights to cover a tournament it is the greatest tournament of all time. If they don't it gets relegated to a couple of paragraphs after the Vietnamese horseracing results. 

And that's the misery of the Hundred. So much self-congratulatory fluffing less than two games in. 

It feels like Stanford all over again only without the BBC legal department sending me emails telling me to shut up. 

Don't bother. In purely cricketing terms, it is offering nothing new whatsoever. 

Don't bother. In purely cricketing terms, it is offering nothing new whatsoever. 

FTFY
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7835
    Noticed the hundred on TV tonight so having a look. what where they thinking with the highlighter pen graphics. Urgh
    Noticed the hundred on TV tonight so having a look. what where they thinking with the highlighter pen graphics. Urgh
    And they're letting Michael Vaughan speak about it without putting his voice through Autotune to get that modern sound. HOW OLD FASHIONED. 

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2437
    Heartfeltdawn said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the cricket but no real difference in the cricket between this and T20. 

This is the key, for me. It's not different enough. T20 accidentally revolutionised the way the game is played. It created new tactics, new shots, new bowling techniques. It created a platform for legends of the game to spend their twilight years touring the world topping up the pension.

It's hard to see how the Hundred requires different tactics, shots and bowling techniques from T20.