Typical GAK...returning to old ways? (wish I'd never started this....just having a rant and whoosh!)

What's Hot
RockhopperRockhopper Frets: 99
edited May 2015 in Guitar

Years ago I bought from GAK and a couple of times they sent half an order or no order as it was out of stock. (Even though listed as in stock on the website). So I stopped buying from them.

Couple of years ago I started buying from them again I had great service, fast delivery and no issues.

I have probably spent near to £1000 (could be over, could be under) with them in the last year or so.

Had a dispatch note saying half the order is on it's way. It is, for me, pointless without the other half. They say stock of the other part of the order is supposed to be in on Friday. I have had this story before........

Here is a hint. Contact the buyer before sending half an order out to check whether or not a partial delivery is suitable.

Sorry rant over...for now!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    This is becoming a theme, and shouldnt be. if you buy something, and before payment they do not notify it's not in stock then to me that's unacceptable, I can see why shops do it as it means they get a sale as most people will not bother with the hassle of waiting for a refund and buying else where etc so it probably works for the shop.
    Bad business practice if you ask me tho, this type of "con" as it is a con as your not getting who you paid for in the time scale given is why people are going to thromman, etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1440
    edited May 2015
    A few months ago I ordered some spares and other bits early in the week that I needed for the weekend.

Item was marked as in stock on the website but a few hours later I got an email stating the items were out of stock.

Now the real pisser was they then refused to refund me, saying I need to wait for five working days due to their banking system. As you can imagine this completely screwed me, as I'd used my last spare cash to get said items and had no way of getting them for the gigs I had due to this. Arseholes. On top of that the customer service rep I spoke to was massively unhelpful and rude and suggested if have to call my bank to sort it out myself. Obviously when I told them it was up to them to refund my money they just started ignoring me, utter cowboys.
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A lot of retailers wont charge your card until the item is packed and ready to be despatched.

There are still too many though that will claim an item is in stock and at this point of purchase will charge your card in full only to then come back and say they actually don't have the item available.

Then making you wait for a refund to be issued and waiting days for it to hit your account again

It's a bloody joke. Guitar Guitar are by far the worst for this practice which is why I would never use them again. Plus they have a fuck you attitude towards resolving customer issues
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited May 2015
    I agree they should have contacted you first. IME if you need something in a rush you really have to phone and talk to someone who can actually confirm things are in stock, even then if it is in a warehouse it can still go wrong. I've been caught out 4 times in the past year by out of stock items from 4 different online companies, I feel like my luck is below average. Though 3/4 times the issue was resolved quickly with good contact and I'd use the companies again. It is surprising how few companies have real time online stock display though.

Some times if possible it really isn't worth potentially saving a small amount online, if you can physically get it from a local shop at least you know you have it and don't have to worry about postage or order delays. Not an option everyone has with time and where they live, but if it is an option I'd bump it right up the list if time is tight.
  • RockhopperRockhopper Frets: 99

For me it is the fact that part of the order is useless without the other.

Do I accept the first part.....then wait for how long for the second part? (they say in on Friday previous experience tells me that this may be too hopeful)

If it doesn't do what I wish etc (as a pairing) when does my 'cooling off' period start? The first part or the second part of the order? They were purchased together for a reason.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    You'll just have to call them. I don't think the current GAK guy uses the forum much, but I think his username is @Yoseph
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Add Stringsdirect - bought something on the Thursday, marked as dispatched on the Friday. I rang them up the next Wednesday as it hadn't arrived - 'oh, yeah, we meant to ring you, we havent got it in stock'. Does it really take me chasing up an order to find out your website stock was wrong and umm, oh yeah, how was it dispatched then??
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @guitarfishbay If only there were local shops that stocked what I wanted. I live in Cornwall the only decent shop nearby is Modern Music but they are small and unfortunately didn't have what I wanted.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Rockhopper;647631" said:
    @guitarfishbay If only there were local shops that stocked what I wanted. I live in Cornwall the only decent shop nearby is Modern Music but they are small and unfortunately didn't have what I wanted.
    Yeah I appreciate that. Let us know how you get on with GAK.
    Fiftyshadesofjay;647598" said:
    A few months ago I ordered some spares and other bits early in the week that I needed for the weekend.

Item was marked as in stock on the website but a few hours later I got an email stating the items were out of stock.

Now the real pisser was they then refused to refund me, saying I need to wait for five working days due to the ire banking system. As you can imagine this completely screwed me, as I'd used my last spare cash to get said items and had no way of getting them for the gigs I had due to this. Arseholes. On top of that the customer service rep I spoke to was massively unhelpful and rude and suggested if have to call my bank to sort it out myself. Obviously when I told them it was up to them to refund my money they just started ignoring me, utter cowboys.
    Don't ever pay by PayPal then. Even if the shop refunds you instantly PayPal won't release until they 'physically get the money'. This can take 7 days. You have to keep checking your balance too as they refund to your PP account not your bank.

This has happened to me twice. Absolutely infuriating.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Same reason I stopped ordering from GAK about 10 or 15 years ago.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yeah this stuff sucks. I've had it with DV247 as well.

I've *NEVER* had this with Thomann. *NEVER* in almost 10 years of buying stuff with them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

I had this issue with DV27 around 2004-6 (or whatever it was called back then). Taking money from my CC, and then reporting as out of stock. By then I was already an established Thommans customer having been using them since the 90s.

In the past ten years, I've only used UK online retailers a few times, mainly strings direct for consumables, or other for the odd one-off purchase.

• Fiftyshadesofjay;647598" said:

Now the real pisser was they then refused to refund me, saying I need to wait for five working days due to the ire banking system. As you can imagine this completely screwed me, as I'd used my last spare cash to get said items and had no way of getting them for the gigs I had due to this. Arseholes. On top of that the customer service rep I spoke to was massively unhelpful and rude and suggested if have to call my bank to sort it out myself. Obviously when I told them it was up to them to refund my money they just started ignoring me, utter cowboys.
    Don't ever pay by PayPal then. Even if the shop refunds you instantly PayPal won't release until they 'physically get the money'. This can take 7 days. You have to keep checking your balance too as they refund to your PP account not your bank.

This has happened to me twice. Absolutely infuriating.

In this case I actually paid using my debit card.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    This thread does not make good reading in support buying in the UK.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    Just buy from Thomann - I've just taken advantage of their first class customer service and had a guitar delivered today.

Runs for cover....
    Previously known as stevebrum

Just cancelled the order with Gak. They say they 'should have' delivery of the other part by Friday (therefore sent out on Monday) but I have to admit I do not necessarily trust them. Well they are not going to be getting any more of my business for the foreseeable future.

I have purchased from thomann in the past but never amps/fx anybody know what psu etc they ship with? or had experience with amps etc from them?

• All the thomann gear is now shipping with a UK plug or a suitable adaptor so all good :)
    @Fortheloveofguitar thanks for that was just having a look for the info on their site.

• I always leave a note anyway at the time of ordering that I require a UK plug. But comes as standard now
This discussion has been closed.