What is the best all round cover-all-bases guitsr you've ever played?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    @octatonic - why Anderson over suhr?
    I've owned a bunch of each- I keep going back to the Andersons, particularly the black classic above- it never disappoints.
    Suhr's generally weight a bit heavier because Tom Anderson sources very light weight Alder and they feel very comfortable on.
    2-3 hours with a Suhr on my body and I know it.
    I can play the Anderson all day.

Anderson's 2 bolt neck is technically brilliant and I prefer it to Suhr's version of the all access neck join.
    And they are an absolute bargain used- expensive new and they crater in the used market so you can pick them up cheap.

I like that they aren't flavour of the month, right now- although that doesn't enter into my thinking when weighing them up.
    As I said, it is extremely close- there is so little in it and they have a very similar vibe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31150
    edited June 2015
    @octatonic

Wht's your view on the Switcheroo system? Once I got used to it I love it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    Gassage said:
    @octatonic

Wht's your view on the Switcheroo system? Once I got used to it I love it.
    I admire it from a technical perspective but I'm not the sort of player who needs loads of options.
    I spend 80% of my time on the bridge humbucker, and the rest in position 4 or 5.

I prefer Suhr's implementation of the blower switch, if I am honest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27087
    It's got to be my Jaden Rose Series 2. Don't get me wrong - I love my JR Tele to bits, but I'm gradually finding its preferred tones and it's got quite a focus to it. The Series 2, on the other hand, is much more versatile than that - both do the nice bluesy tone thing really well, both have phenomenal rhythm tones, but the Series 2 has an edge in the squealy, scream-y shred monster stakes.

OK, so that's not amazingly versatile, but it's certainly versatile enough for me :)
    <space for hire>
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4070
    My Mexican 72 Custom Tele.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2668
    Ibanez RG550 for me.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12053
    PRS Custom 22 Special.

A guitar to cover bases.

Single coil, humbuckers, coil split, 5 blade switch.  I still look at it from time to time at WG's site...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    There have been a few occasions when I have picked up a guitar and said "I must have this. It is so awesome"

I cannot ever remember picking up a guitar and thinking "I must have this. It is so versatile"

A great guitar is a great guitar. If you find a really great Tele tommorow then just do what you have to do. The fact that you will be relocating to Nashville and working hard on your "chickin pickin" is a trivial matter. A minor inconvenience. What is important is that you now own a  really great guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    edited June 2015
    Never played a guitsr. Can't beat a good tele though, especially a custom with a Wide Range in the neck
    Stop crying, start buying
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Les Paul. Obviously.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    Suhr Modern with Blower switch, 5 position selector and coil tap. What else is there that this doesn't cover?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    @RaymondLin - why'd you get rid of it then??

Oh man... I did try an Anderson Tele model in Hong Kong. Nice and light. Would prefer satin neck. 
    I can't comment on pups but I know Suhr pups are some of the best I've ever heard. 

That Lyndsey Buckingham guitar looks cool!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12053
    edited June 2015
    @RaymondLin - why'd you get rid of it then??

Oh man... I did try an Anderson Tele model in Hong Kong. Nice and light. Would prefer satin neck. 
    I can't comment on pups but I know Suhr pups are some of the best I've ever heard. 

That Lyndsey Buckingham guitar looks cool!
    Because I don't gig and I can chop and change guitars at home and I wanted a Les Paul.

I picture the spectrum of guitar sound like a scale of 1 - 100, if a Les Paul covers the thick end spectrum (1-75) and that Telecaster covers the higher end (25-100), they both have overlap in the middle and the PRS 22 does 15-85.  The PRS gets a bit of both but in neither.

Plus I have a Custom 24 as well.

I prefer this now...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    John_P said:
    Custom 24 will do all of that and look cool :)
    My Cu24s are the most ergonomic by far
    That LP looks the biz. 

As does that Suhr....!!!!
    edited June 2015
    This does sound as good (very similar to) a Suhr:

@hubobulous have you tried these Tom Anderson guitars?
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited June 2015
    I don't like mixing pickup types on a guitar as it creates volume disparities. So I'd go S/S/S Strat, or any good sounding H/H guitar. Really so long as the pickups are balanced sounding in EQ and not too weak or hot you can usually get ballpark get with appropriate FX and amp.
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    I use my Kotzen Tele to cover all bases. I have replaced the series/parallel switch with a tone control and push/pull pot that switches the bridge between series and parallel within the stacked 'bucker giving me a single coil sound. I replaced the 3-way pickup selector with a 4-way with the 4 th position being both pickups in series.

So....

*Bridge stacked humbucker
    *Bridge parallel "split"
    *Both pick ups on
    *Both pick ups with bridge "split"
    *Neck
    *Both pick ups on in series
    *Both pick ups in series but with bridge split

Savvy?
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    ES-335
    SA2200
    SG2000
    LP Std
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • The correct answer is that "the sound is down to the player- you SHOULD be able to play anything on any guitar".

Out MY guitars, I'm taking my Les Paul Junior. It does snarling filth well & also cleans up beautifully.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom