What is the best all round cover-all-bases guitsr you've ever played?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    thomasross20 said:

I'd like to try an Anderson but I believe there are none in Scotland (!) so will probably stick with Suhr. Maybe one day..!
    There's a T-type one in Strung Out Guitars in Glasgow.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    Please post pics / sound/video clips of your DGT! :)
    I played it at the Fretboard jam last week on this track but the balance of the instruments isn't wonderful and you can mostly hear @Alnico on his Feline Tele. We're still rehearsing with my new band but we have to put a showreel togetehr anyway so I might stick something up when we've done that.

What I really like about the DGT is its ability to cut through, especially on the split coil (which isn't really a split coil anyway). The pickups are just voiced perfectly. The slightly odd layout of the volume controls takes some getting used to and I STILL think the pickup selector is in the wrong place, but they're such effortless instruments to play that I'm willing to forgive the idiosyncrasies.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Telecaster 

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    Kotzen Tele & RG550.

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8849
    The correct answer is that "the sound is down to the player- you SHOULD be able to play anything on any guitar".
    That's true.  I guess that most people who've named their favourite guitar on here have done so because they can make it work.  I've played the same "jazz to grunge" cover set with a Fly, a McCarty, and a Telecaster.  You can make any of them work, particularly if you've got a range of amp settings, but None of them has complete sonic versatility.  The closest I've come is a Tele with 4way switching and, if you're not using acoustic simulation, a bridge piezo
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    ICBM said:
    thomasross20 said:

I'd like to try an Anderson but I believe there are none in Scotland (!) so will probably stick with Suhr. Maybe one day..!
    There's a T-type one in Strung Out Guitars in Glasgow.
    Have you tried it? 
    T-type - sounds like the one I tried in Hong Kong - very light and nice neck (though personally I don't go for telecasters..)
    Please post pics / sound/video clips of your DGT! :)
    I played it at the Fretboard jam last week on this track but the balance of the instruments isn't wonderful and you can mostly hear @Alnico on his Feline Tele. We're still rehearsing with my new band but we have to put a showreel togetehr anyway so I might stick something up when we've done that.

What I really like about the DGT is its ability to cut through, especially on the split coil (which isn't really a split coil anyway). The pickups are just voiced perfectly. The slightly odd layout of the volume controls takes some getting used to and I STILL think the pickup selector is in the wrong place, but they're such effortless instruments to play that I'm willing to forgive the idiosyncrasies.

Nice, but defo better to get a dedicated demo :) Where do you want the selector - surely not up by the top wing like on a Les Paul (noooo!)? :)
    @thomasross20 For a three way toggle switch the correct position is always on the upper horn as on Les Pauls or on myTelecaster which I had built because Fender put it in the wrong place originally. This is the correct positioning:

PRSs with toggles do have them out of the way so you don't hit them, but it's still the wrong place 
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    @thomasross20 For a three way toggle switch the correct position is always on the upper horn as on Les Pauls or on myTelecaster which I had built because Fender put it in the wrong place originally. This is the correct positioning:

PRSs with toggles do have them out of the way so you don't hit them, but it's still the wrong place 
    Nuno disagrees, and he's always right ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5031
    After reading @Octatonic posting, I took my Anderson out of its case [I always case up my guitars when going on holiday but did not get the time to replace them on the rack] and played it for over an hour.  Then I played my CS Strat for over thirty minutes.  Bloody hell!!, these are great guitars.  Way in excess of my actual guitar requirements [limited playing ability] but still a joy to play.  Do try out one or both but go with the flow.  Play chords, solos or whatever.  You will enjoy the experience.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Nooo! All switches should be in one place and as few as possible lol. Puts me off a guitar when I see too many
    Well at least we can agree on that. If you need another switch (pickup tapping etc) put it on a push-pull (or even batter a push-push) pot. No micro switches please.

I also read Tyler Studio Elites are meant to be great
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    sted;657713" said:
    Gotta be a stratocaster with a bridge bucker every time for versatility.
    http://galleryhip.com/mona-lisa-with-mustache.html
    Stop crying, start buying
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4253
    For a long time I would have said aDGT, but then they came out with the 408 and Paul's Guitars, both of which have more balanced split-coil tones without a volume drop.

On that basis I'd choose a no-frills 408, or a tele.
    thomasross20 said:

Have you tried it? T-type - sounds like the one I tried in Hong Kong - very light and nice neck (though personally I don't go for telecasters..)
    Yes. It's not that light, it's the Classic T not the hollow one. It's not a Telecaster, it's just a Tele-shaped guitar... if you see what I mean ;). It sounds nothing like a Tele, it has none of the twang or bite a proper one has.

You don't want my opinion on it though, I can't stand Andersons :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited June 2015
    Never tried a 408 or Paul's Guitar but both have too many switches. 
    Ah so if no twang like a tele I don't much see the point? Unless it doesn it's own thing, as such. 
    Still only 9:10am - got to decide - Glasgow or Newcastle lol!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I'd vote for my self built tele thing - Kotzen pups, trem, piezo and midi. 

It does everything, but having said that, I never play the bugger!
    Ah so if no twang like a tele I don't much see the point? Unless it doesn it's own thing, as such.
    That's pretty much summed up why I don't like Andersons. The only guitars I can think of that make Suhrs seem characterful :).

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Well at one end of the scale I'd say either a PRS Paul's guitar, or a PRS 513.... I've had both and currently have the Paul's guitar. Twin humbucker, lovely coil taps..... Fantastic. However the Yamaha 611hfm is fantastic too humbucker, p90 neck, coil split on the humbucker.... Really great
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com