What is the best all round cover-all-bases guitsr you've ever played?

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    My schecter tempest custom with coil splits. Does everything slight less well, but does do it all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I'd say it's a toss up between my Kotzen Tele or my PRS Custom 22 with the Freeway switch fitted. Either will do everything I'd ask of them.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27834
    My own SG Standard and Strat are the "do all" guitars in my flock. Strat is SSS but with the Rothwell HLK for extra fatness when required.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2457
    There are likely many more versatile, but of the guitars I've played the answer is my Les Paul Studio Deluxe 60s. The Burstbucker Pro (Bridge) and 490R (Neck) get you more readily into hard rock territory than the 57s in my LP Traditional, but the coil-tapping extends the range towards to lighter and twangier at the other end. 

Good call @Grumpyrocker.

Bridging the gap between the LP Trad and the Studio, I'm currently gigging a full function set (Ed Sheeran to Killers to Bon Jovi) with this fella, a 2014 LP Classic.  '57 pickups, coil taps and Marmite boost switch.

Other than that, I've yet to find anything more versatile than EBMM Silhouette Special, HSS with piezo.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/stefbillington/A4DD3F4D-3FBB-4D14-8CA5-7FDB9B277D2C_zpsmjeayesq.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    That I've owned? PRS CU22 if bias was towards buckers or NSG26 if bias towards singles.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 724
    edited June 2015
    Just because I think I'm right about the 513 ... (skip to 2:11)

• slackerslacker Frets: 2280

PRS or the Anderson/Suhr guitars are probably the most versatile, however I dont really like them. My solution was to take my LP Classic and have Charlie Chandler mod it.

The original pickups and wiring have been replaced with Lollars, 50s wiring with a coil tap on the neck pickup. The volumes and tones are now usable the pickups dont sound sound harsh and I can do a Strat funk rhythm sound should I need it.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I'd say any nicely made guitar that has all of the following:

- Floyd or Wilkinson bridge

- HH or HSH

- 24 fret neck with very good upper neck access [like a super Strat or a V]

play every note as if it were your first
  • SSS strat.

Just does it all, except modern metal. But it's as close as you'll get to ultimate versatility for genres I reckon.
  • guitarfishbay;657491" said:
    I don't like mixing pickup types on a guitar as it creates volume disparities. So I'd go S/S/S Strat, or any good sounding H/H guitar. Really so long as the pickups are balanced sounding in EQ and not too weak or hot you can usually get ballpark get with appropriate FX and amp.
    I agree.

The exception is my cow tron with strat singles. It's a wonderful combination, and would be my suggestion but as it's a jazzmaster it doesn't like hard thumb up picking for snappy attack (just picks the string of the saddle!). For anything involving a plectrum (even massively hard strumming) it's otherwise perfect.
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    JTV 59 for me.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    anything that stays in tune
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    StefB said:
    PRS Custom 22 Special.

A guitar to cover bases.

Single coil, humbuckers, coil split, 5 blade switch.  I still look at it from time to time at WG's site...

Interesting @RaymondLin, as it disappeared from their site for a while so I assumed it had sold.  For £899 more than I sold it to you for!
    Technically Its £824 (1899-1075) :p but yeah, his prices is very optimistic against market value.  I got nowhere near the £1899 he is selling it for, even in trade value.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    I m going a throw a curve bsll aga\in

One of te ugliest guitrs ever mde, synonomous with one guitsr legend and easily one of the ugliest guitsr ever made.

Paradoxically, it's essily the best made snd most stunningly wonderful guitar I have ever plyed- light as  feather too.

Name that guit- I would kill for one but they're 3k.

The clue is only one artist really uses them but he is sn utter legend
    The answer is this:

Easily the best guitar I hve ever played- the Rick Turner LB-1 (Lindsey Buckingham model)

Gassage said:
    I m going a throw a curve bsll aga\in

One of te ugliest guitrs ever mde, synonomous with one guitsr legend and easily one of the ugliest guitsr ever made.

Paradoxically, it's essily the best made snd most stunningly wonderful guitar I have ever plyed- light as  feather too.

Name that guit- I would kill for one but they're 3k.

The clue is only one artist really uses them but he is sn utter legend
    The answer is this:

Easily the best guitar I hve ever played- the Rick Turner LB-1 (Lindsey Buckingham model)

About 8 years ago I was one email away from buying one of Lynsey bucks old turners.. All the shipping side of things sorted, just the yay or nay and I bottled it :( Still sad about it!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    Axis Supersport!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2179
    PRS DGT or a 335 style guitar.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    edited June 2015
    Of all the guitars I've had, the most flexible was a Westone Spectrum LX which was in HSH format with the humbuckers being tappable and a phase reversal switch. It had a locking trem too.

However, in my new band I'm the sole guitarist and I'm finding my DGT meets most of my needs.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Please post pics / sound/video clips of your DGT! :)
  • MusicMan Axis