Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Thank you.

Does it come with a printed manual, or should I fire up my printer now?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30206
    It comes with a quick reference sheet which isn't that necessary.

I've only occasionally needed the manual, and only for the MIDI side where I need to check specific CC numbers. The interface is very, very straightforward. Joystick moves around, clicks to assign and rotates to change the selected block. Then the individual parameter knobs change the parameter above them.

The Action button lets you move, copy, paste or clear blocks (move a block down to create a parallel path).

To assign something to a footswitch, select the block with the joystick, then touch (don't press) the footswitch you want to assign it to and choose "confirm".

It's actually slightly easier in use than that makes it sound.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2466
    Quick Question in anticipation...

For the moment I'm going to run it into the power section of a Tecamp bass amp, and then into a Zilla 2x12 with Creambacks.

Is there a quick way to turn off cab sims on every patch at once? No doubt I'll be playing with the presets to start, and it would be nice to not have to do that on every patch.

ta
    I'm sure there is a global setting somewhere. Still not got a unit cause you lot keep bloody buying them!!

I have Sean Halley and Paul Hindmarsh close by (so not even remotely intimidated) so will grab one and find out for you.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    After I've mucked about with the guitar sounds I'm going to start creating my bass patch madness.

I should really learn how to use my recording software properly so I can share.

edited April 2016
    rossyamaha said:
    I'm sure there is a global setting somewhere. 
    50p and a chunky kitkat says there isn't.

The other way to do that would be to have two sets of presets, both the same except that one set has the cabs turned off. Not too tricky to do with the Helix application now.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    fretmeister;1029928" said:
    Quick Question in anticipation...

For the moment I'm going to run it into the power section of a Tecamp bass amp, and then into a Zilla 2x12 with Creambacks.

Is there a quick way to turn off cab sims on every patch at once? No doubt I'll be playing with the presets to start, and it would be nice to not have to do that on every patch.

ta
    Sporkys suggestion is exactly what I do
    XLRs have cabs
    1/4s don't
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    But you would have to do it for every patch
    FWIW I find 90% or more of the presets to be ropey
    I don't think I've used a version of one of them...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ropey presets are part of the fun!

I expect to end up deleting all of them, just as I have done with other processors.

Bah. Still showing as "It should be dispatched today" so I'm guessing they've gone home.

Oh well. 

For the ones I've had a play with the presets are less awful than you might expect.

Still pretty awful, of course, but a few you could actually use without grimacing. :D
    Should be getting mine on Monday!

Lovely!

Excellent.

Bung the 1.10 firmware on straight away and get the updated Helix application which includes a PC editor. Mine shipped with 1.02 (I think) and the update to 1.05 made a huge difference - lots more effect blocks, and some real enhancements to the user interface.
    PC or Mac?

My desktop is PC, but lappie is a Mac (at the time the Macbook Air was the only way to get a genuine 10 hours battery life for court work).

Looks like both are available.

Note that you'll need to tick the "Beta" box on the right to see the editor.
    I'll probably stick with PC.

The editor looks interesting!

It is pretty good - the interface on the Helix is arguably even better, but the PC one doesn't involve sitting on the floor. Though you could have the rack in front of you for tweaking and the floor controller down on the floor for controlling. Mmm. Coherent.
    I need a new rack case now. Bah.

I have a 3u, but I'll need more space either to rack my bass amp in it, or for any future power amp purchase.

Fortunately used racks tend to be dirt cheap on ebay so I will look there.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Andertons are showing 10+ in stock for both the rack and controller, getting very tempted
  • So my Helix arrived today, first impressions...

It's a really rugged, classy bit of kit. Love the design, it makes all the other modellers look proper naff in comparison. I also think the effects are really great, looking forward to testing it with my EVH head this weekend.

However, running direct my initial impression is my Kemper absolutely destroys it for amp tones. Now admittedly I've only briefly played around with creating my own presets and I've used the Kemper for ages but there's no denying it at the moment.

Will hopefully load some new IR's this weekend as well and see if that improves matters.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Fiftyshadesofjay;1031140" said:
    So my Helix arrived today, first impressions...

It's a really rugged, classy bit of kit. Love the design, it makes all the other modellers look proper naff in comparison. I also think the effects are really great, looking forward to testing it with my EVH head this weekend.

However, running direct my initial impression is my Kemper absolutely destroys it for amp tones. Now admittedly I've only briefly played around with creating my own presets and I've used the Kemper for ages but there's no denying it at the moment.

Will hopefully load some new IR's this weekend as well and see if that improves matters.
    I found third party IRs to be the key. Like night and day. However, reading lots of forum posts it does see you can get there by tweaking the in built cabs. Was quicker to just use IRs for me.