Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Our new 2nd guitarist uses a Helix. He's using it in 4-cable method with a Diezel Hagen. Sounds fucking immense!

I'd like to get one still, but I just spaffed cash recently on a Boss DD500 which I am loving, and I am realizing more and more that my effects needs are pretty simple. A Helix is actually overkill... so I dunno... I love the sounds our guitarist is getting, but it's probably more than I need.

My board is pretty simple - tuner, phaser, delay, reverb. Straight into the front of an amp. I am now recording at home with a Laney VH100R and a Randomhandclaps loadbox, and I am happy as larry!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28745
    Still very tempted to try one of these as I'm in a flat and often work late, and while I'd love to use my real amp more it just isn't goin to happen at 10pm on a week night. Does feel a bit overkill but wouldn't cost me too much net if I sold my Timefactor and Whammy. 

How good is the Rat model? (I'm assuming it has one!)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Still very tempted to try one of these as I'm in a flat and often work late, and while I'd love to use my real amp more it just isn't goin to happen at 10pm on a week night. Does feel a bit overkill but wouldn't cost me too much net if I sold my Timefactor and Whammy. 

Full FX list

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Guitarist mag reviewed the Helix and the Ax8 this month, really disappointing that neither review actuall said anything useful!

Still very tempted by a Helix, but keep taking myself out of it

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528

Really good, I tried that one when I used it. Sounds like a rat, gets fuzzy at high gain like a real rat does and most emulations dont.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28745
    hugbot said:

Really good, I tried that one when I used it. Sounds like a rat, gets fuzzy at high gain like a real rat does and most emulations dont.
    I think the problem I'm having is that however good the modelled Rat is, I'm still going to want to use my home-built clone with extra options, plus my stratoblaster booster, which somewhat defeats the point of an all-in-one box.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    stickyfiddle;1025940" said:
    hugbot said:

stickyfiddle said:

I think the problem I'm having is that however good the modelled Rat is, I'm still going to want to use my home-built clone with extra options, plus my stratoblaster booster, which somewhat defeats the point of an all-in-one box.
    Not how it works for me
    I still have my KOT wired in to one of the loops on a Pedaltrain board
    It's still my main dirty sound but I use the rest around it
    The routing sooooo flexible I can insert the KOT anywhere in the signal path
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6329
    tFB Trader
    I have a Mint condition boxed Helix I can sell if anyone is interested. I bought it for testing with the pedals, and now thats done, I don't really need it anymore.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    I have a Mint condition boxed Helix I can sell if anyone is interested. I bought it for testing with the pedals, and now thats done, I don't really need it anymore.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/433611fc/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    What was your take on it compared to Axe/Kemper/Amplifire?
    ThorpyFX said:
    I have a Mint condition boxed Helix I can sell if anyone is interested. I bought it for testing with the pedals, and now thats done, I don't really need it anymore.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/433611fc/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    DON'T TEMPT ME FRODO!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    DON'T TEMPT ME FRODO!!
    Dooooo iiiiiit
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30206

It does, and it's very good. I've only ever played with a Turbo Rat, which wasn't very good, so I don't know how accurate a model it is, but it's a fine effect in the Helix.

Drew - don't do it. You don't like modellers! Much as I love my Helix, I do not think it will be your happy place.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."

Sporky said:
    Drew - don't do it. You don't like modellers! Much as I love my Helix, I do not think it will be your happy place.
    If I was to get one I'd use it for FX only I reckon guv.
    tFB Trader
    I selfishly want drew to get one as I value his opinion on workflow
    Well OK then.

Not that it's up to me!

It's still a bit short on some effects; only two phasers (though the Deluxe Phaser is very flexible) fer instance. You can still do an awful lot with it though.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6329
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    What was your take on it compared to Axe/Kemper/Amplifire?
    The Helix, is a fantastic bit of kit, Intuitive easy to use, SOUNDS GREAT and honestly great value. For the money I think we are spoilt with such a great sounding item. It works well with existing pedals, (which is why i bought it) and id say better than the Amplifire in that regard. The models are more polished from the off in the Helix, but the amplifire can give great models of the amps with a bit of tweaking.

I'd say the HELIX is probably more powerful than most people need and for amp emulation most people would be more than happy with the amplifire through an FRFR cab.

That being said, who doesn't like more power? it sounds great, works well and although not as organic sounding as a straight up amp rig i think its 90% there.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • And it's on it's way to me tomorrow! Looking forward to seeing how it stacks up.
    Just checked my Andertons order...

In stock and will be dispatched within 24 hours! woohoooooooo!

I'm going to guess I'll be getting it next week.

Unless of course @Josh_Andertons can get it out the door today so I can play with it all over the weekend... ;)

Quick Question in anticipation...

For the moment I'm going to run it into the power section of a Tecamp bass amp, and then into a Zilla 2x12 with Creambacks.

Is there a quick way to turn off cab sims on every patch at once? No doubt I'll be playing with the presets to start, and it would be nice to not have to do that on every patch.

ta

edited April 2016
    I don't think so.

But you could potentially build all the patches so that they output via the cab to one set of outputs, and before the cab to another set, then you'd just plug in to the correct outputs for the amp in question. The cab would have to be last in the chain though.