Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Anyone know if a Helix can control a second Helix?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30205
    There's MIDI in and out, so you can synchronise patches. I think you can make all the footswitches and the expression pedal send CC messages as well.

What exactly do you want to do?

Also your EQ suggestions were very successful - the Helix EQ frequencies are slightly different but it sounds much more like a bass now. I also ran a compressor into the bass signal path before the pitch shifter, and put a Minotaur OD at the end with lots of gain (far more than I'd expected to need) but not much level. Turned off the guitar cab models when the bass is running and used the SVR 8x10 cab model instead.

In a mix I think it'd fool people.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    edited March 2016
    I was just curious about it really - whether it was possible.

Glad to help on the EQ! I wanted to know the result but I didn't want to hassle you! 

Compressors before pitch shifters are usually a good idea to give the shifter a better signal. Although I do have the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe which is pleasingly glitchy when used without.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Certainly possible, but depends a little on exactly what you want it to do.
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1009
    FYI the editor and new firmware to support it has finally been released!

On the line 6 software page make sure you click the little beta button next to the other three drop down menus or you won't see the editor.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Excellent - thanks!
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Good news! Thanks for letting us know.
    Update failed first time, but fine the second. Looks like using a KVM to switch the mouse away during the update is a bad plan. Which seems obvious now given that it'd disrupt the USB link.

Anyways, all good now, the editor works pretty well though I'll be happier once it's got copy & paste and access to editing the scribble strips. Still easier than sitting on the floor though. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Anyways, all good now, the editor works pretty well though I'll be happier once it's got copy & paste and access to editing the scribble strips. Still easier than sitting on the floor though. :)
    Copy/paste blocks and customizing the scribble strips and LED colors is at the very top of our to-do list.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    I saw!

My post seems a bit of a downer compared to how I actually feel - the editor is a marvellous step forwards, and the Helix was pretty ace already.

D'you know if there are any plans for a freely assignable internal LFO or envelope follower or such?
  • Editor is great. Small amounts of bliss and less backache.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Looking forward to messing about with 3rd party IR's now the editor is out
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Why
    Could you not before?
    Well, not according to the manual, unless I missed something painfully obvious
  • sweepy said:
    You could load other IRs into the old Helix Application, and then onto your Helix. I got the free Ownhammer ones, but rarely use them, most of the modelled cabs being pretty good for when I'm going direct out from the XLRs into a PA.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    sweepy;1021887" said:
    Yes
    The old app let you drag and drop folders of IRs
    In
    Up to 128 IIRC
    You can then load them up and audition them using the footswitches to change them

• andyozandyoz Frets: 719
    edited March 2016
    So are most shops still out of Helix stock...what a feckup!

I'm losing interest fast and will wait for the updated version...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited March 2016
    Question. Is setting up a system like: "one path without cab modelling output to amp, one with cab modelling to PA" easy, or a pain?

I assume it would be but then I think about delays and reverbs that are after the amp in the signal chain and start to worry about routing and DSP limits.
    andyoz said:
    So are most shops still out of Helix stock...what a feckup!

I'm losing interest fast and will wait for the updated version...
    So that you can complain when that one is popular too? ;)

I decided I wanted one so I went onto a waiting list. Less than a month later I had my Helix.
    hugbot said:
    Question. Is setting up a system like: "one path without cab modelling output to amp, one with cab modelling to PA" easy, or a pain?

I assume it would be but then I think about delays and reverbs that are after the amp in the signal chain and start to worry about routing and DSP limits.
    I think that'd be very easy.

You'd have the normal pre-amp effects, then the amp, then the post-amp effects, then a split with a cab in one branch and nothing in the other, with each branch routed to a different output - simplest to do them as left and right but there are lots of other ways you could do it.

While it is possible to hit the DSP limits (even using both paths) you have to have a lot of stuff there. I have a patch which includes two compressors, a wah, four distortions, pitch shift, three cabs, 10-band EQ, two phasers, two tremolos, reverb and delay. There's still DSP left to add more. Not much more, but more.
    edited March 2016
    That explains it, I was one of the first Helix owners and apart from the updated and driver software there was no other software available for the Mac