Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• So after knobbing about with all my single pedals and my Kemper and my QC, trying to figure out what setup I'm going to use for live shows....

.... I've gone back to the Helix in tandem with a valve amp. It just sounds sooooooooooo good. Much better than any other option I have.

I've setup a preset-per-song, and I managed to get everything I needed onto a single path. That means I can turn on the global spillover function, and get instantaneous true spillover presets. Cosmic duuuudddeeeee.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I've setup a preset-per-song, and I managed to get everything I needed onto a single path. That means I can turn on the global spillover function, and get instantaneous true spillover presets. Cosmic duuuudddeeeee.
    If you have presets that use both paths and you turn on this spillover thing, does it delete path two from all your presets?

I want to turn it on to try the spillover preset thing but don’t want to lose path 2 from those presets that have it, even if I can’t use it while this setting is active. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I've setup a preset-per-song, and I managed to get everything I needed onto a single path. That means I can turn on the global spillover function, and get instantaneous true spillover presets. Cosmic duuuudddeeeee.
    If you have presets that use both paths and you turn on this spillover thing, does it delete path two from all your presets?

I want to turn it on to try the spillover preset thing but don’t want to lose path 2 from those presets that have it, even if I can’t use it while this setting is active. 
    Yes, I believe it kills path 2 altogether. Dead as Dillinger.

Bye!

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    I finally updated to 3.11!

Didn’t want to do it over Christmas incase it bricked my Helix LT, but it seems to be working fine after the update.

Really enjoying the ‘Dumblesque 2’ tone I downloaded from CustomTone: https://line6.com/customtone/tone/1818244/
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    duotone said:

Didn’t want to do it over Christmas incase it bricked my Helix LT, but it seems to be working fine after the update.

Really enjoying the ‘Dumblesque 2’ tone I downloaded from CustomTone: https://line6.com/customtone/tone/1818244/

In the instructions for updates, Line 6 recommend that you do a factory reset after the update completes (on full fat power cycle while holding down the middle two footswitches on the bottom row) and then restore your settings/presets from the backup.  Then if you do another power cycle, it will rebuild the presets, which I believe is optional.  Though t will speed up switching presets as it would have to do the rebuild on the fly if you haven't done the full rebuild.  Since performing this procedure, I don't get any of the occasional 'odd' things that I used to get after updating firmware.

You can also download previous versions of firmwire from the website.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    edited January 2022
    shuikit said:
    duotone said:

In the instructions for updates, Line 6 recommend that you do a factory reset after the update completes (on full fat power cycle while holding down the middle two footswitches on the bottom row) and then restore your settings/presets from the backup.  Then if you do another power cycle, it will rebuild the presets, which I believe is optional.  Though t will speed up switching presets as it would have to do the rebuild on the fly if you haven't done the full rebuild.  Since performing this procedure, I don't get any of the occasional 'odd' things that I used to get after updating firmware.

You can also download previous versions of firmwire from the website.
    Another smooth, fault free update from line 6 then?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • jacobjacob Frets: 42
    So after knobbing about with all my single pedals and my Kemper and my QC, trying to figure out what setup I'm going to use for live shows....

.... I've gone back to the Helix in tandem with a valve amp. It just sounds sooooooooooo good. Much better than any other option I have.

I've setup a preset-per-song, and I managed to get everything I needed onto a single path. That means I can turn on the global spillover function, and get instantaneous true spillover presets. Cosmic duuuudddeeeee.
    I don't mean to be rude, but single pedals sound better than the Helix. Helix is kind of a jack of all trades type of deal.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jacob said:
    So after knobbing about with all my single pedals and my Kemper and my QC, trying to figure out what setup I'm going to use for live shows....

I don't mean to be rude, but single pedals sound better than the Helix. Helix is kind of a jack of all trades type of deal.
    Stop trolling threads
  • Stop trolling threads

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jacobjacob Frets: 42
    jacob said:

Stop trolling threads
    Wasn't my comment basically a fair enough opinion?
  • I'm a total noob with the Helix I got hold of recently - but tonight I tried the 4 cable method for the first time and it makes a big difference for the delay & reverb - totally cleans it up, was muddy beforehand.

Tbh, it's blowing my mind as to it's capabilities. It's sort didn't exist the last time I seriously played. Perfect for quiet home recording.
  • I’m still getting my head around the helix and its capabilities. The sound quality is pretty amazing to my ears. An incredible bit of kit, every amp you can think, every fx, cabs and a full on recording rig. The PodGo is more than enough for me but why stop there :)
    Do you guys think IRs are worth the money? 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    BlueStrat said:

People have been able to make the stock cabs sound good, but personally I got on better with IRs. I use the Celestion ones and the free Ownhammers.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    Bidley said:
    BlueStrat said:

People have been able to make the stock cabs sound good, but personally I got on better with IRs. I use the Celestion ones and the free Ownhammers.
    For live shows.
    I used stock cabs for ages. 

Then used stock cabs with Jason sadites methods. And got more compliments from fellow guitarists, and no complaints from provided FOH (as good as a compliment right?) . 

Then bought a few OH ones, which I used in conjunction with tilt EQ and a bit of compression (sadites method). For similar tone feedback, but but less DSP and a slightly better sit in mix. 

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    sgosden said:
    Bidley said:
    BlueStrat said:

For live shows.
    I used stock cabs for ages. 

Then used stock cabs with Jason sadites methods. And got more compliments from fellow guitarists, and no complaints from provided FOH (as good as a compliment right?) . 

Then bought a few OH ones, which I used in conjunction with tilt EQ and a bit of compression (sadites method). For similar tone feedback, but but less DSP and a slightly better sit in mix. 

I use IR cabs to reduce DSP load but I find their main benefit to be for acoustic guitar simulation.
  • BodBod Frets: 1344
    Musicwolf said:

I use IR cabs to reduce DSP load but I find their main benefit to be for acoustic guitar simulation.
    IR increases DSP load as far as I was aware? 

I tend to stick to stock cabs, because I get option paralysis with the sheer number of IRs available.  Stock sounds pretty good to my ears, though the IRs I've tried do sound more like a real mic'd cab. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    Bod said:
    Musicwolf said:

IR increases DSP load as far as I was aware? 

I tend to stick to stock cabs, because I get option paralysis with the sheer number of IRs available.  Stock sounds pretty good to my ears, though the IRs I've tried do sound more like a real mic'd cab. 
    My bad, you are correct.  I now recall that I've had to use modelled cabs rather than IRs on the odd occasion that I've hit the DSP limit.  It does make me wonder why I started using them in the first place.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7736
    edited February 2022
    I dicked around with IRs for ages - but tbh the stock "dual cab" blocks offer far simpler tweakable options easily than auditioning and high-cutting a zillion IR options, imho 
    Red ones are better. 
  • The cab's are pretty decent, with the right setup.

That said, unless you use a heap of different amps and cab combinations, I'd still recommend bypassing IRs and Cab models altogether and running it into a power amp and actual guitar cab. It was the biggest 'improvement' by far for me - though I've not tried a Helix with the L6 powercabs yet - they seem promising.

I'm Helix-less now anyway, as I sold my floor unit to go back to a simple pedal & amp rig, but I think I'll likely get a HX stomp at some point for the amp modelling alone, if nothing else.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    I found IRs a much quicker and easier way to get where I wanted. I use York Audio and 9 times out of 10, Mix 01 sounds awesome so I just use that and don't get sucked into the wormhole. The stock cabs take too much faffing to get them to sound as good imo.