Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    The knobs need a similar chrome bar system to the HD500 to make the Helix more gig worthy . Size 12 feet, poor lighting and cramped stage areas don't bode well for the longevity of the pots and joystick / rotary encoder
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    The official backpack looks cool.. but expensive

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We have very different ideas of cool.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_ said:
    The official backpack looks cool.. but expensive

"Phew, just what we need, Edmund!"

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    mrkb said:
    What happened to Drew and co?

Well my situation changed. It's looking increasingly like I wont be playing live for some time, and wont even be in a band. So the benefits of the Helix are now lost on me. Decided to cut down on a bit of gear and focus more on recording songs right now.
  • so after 49 pages of expectation, the common consensus is "meh" ?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    so after 49 pages of expectation, the common consensus is "meh" ?
    Dunno, most people seem pretty happy with the sounds and usability. Its the lockup issues taking the wind out of the sails.
    No lockups or issues with mine, apart from a few missed design flaws, its an excellent bit of kit on the whole
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24844
    After xmas I'm going to find a shop that will let me try it with a proper bass amp rig.

The paper specs really appeal to me - ideally it would have some bass specific drives but stacking some of the models might get close enough.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Well, anyone who fancies a lengthy go on one, is more than welcome to pop over and I'll run through it with you. bring your own amp etc, I run mine through Studio monitors and a set of powered wedges .
    I'm in Banbury, between Oxford and Birmingham on the M40
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lewisjenkinslewisjenkins Frets: 43
    edited November 2015
    Page 50 !!

I really like mine and I think the consensus is that most people are very happy with the Helix. That's not to say there haven't been some teething issues (though I haven't experienced any problems myself) but these things can be blown out of proportion on internet forums. People are more likely to post about a perceived problem, whereas the majority of satisfied users you won't hear from so much because we're all too busy playing music on our Helix's. It's just human nature :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • it's all kicking off at TGP in the Helix thread by the way (shock!), of and their 792 pages makes our 50 look like child's play :)

• oh and one of them actually just posted this 

"Nothing wrong with having a differing opinion, but you gotta have an open mind!" 

*unless you're talking about guns n Jesus.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2015
    Spent all evening playing mine, dialling in the sag on a Fender Bassman in stereo through active speakers with a little reverb and univibe gives you the biggest grin possible ;), and for once the mic modelling actually works, boundary effect etc is very noticeable, tweak heaven here we come ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    I was one of the early pre-order bunch who jibbed out last minute...

Reports of lock-ups and the whole delivery time thing put me right off.

Not the thread to be comparing but I went to an FX8, slightly different as I realised I didn't need a strong modeller (or any modelling actually). Also (not a factor in deciding) I have found out that Fractal and indeed G66 go way and above what is expected support-wise - I have had to replace the unit I initially received due to a randomly occurring issue with scene selection - G66 sent a replacement within 48 hours..

I hope the Helix does live up to whats promised and that the ones that held on are happy but I can't help thinking that L6 possibly bit off more than they could chew on release and no matter how few "real" issues are out there any reports on internet forums is going to tarnish the release somewhat (unfairly) - the FX8 isn't perfect and needs a few things addressing too but I think that due to Fractal being in the modelling big boy arena a little longer they have the upper hand with dealing with issues. IMO...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24844
    If Yamaha properly fund customer support then Fractal won't be able to compete.

I don't see anything about the Helix that I didn't see about the 1st generation Axe-FX. The fear of lockups, the "I love it, but can't trust it for a gig" type things.

Yamaha have the power (money) to fix that far faster than Fractal. The only question is - will they.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    I was one who was worried about the lockups but keeping a watching brief on the other fora suggests that the incidence of them is very much reduced since the last firmware update went out. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    Never had a glitch at all with mine, and I do really prat about with it ;)
  • Yep, same here. Working 100%, never had a single glitch.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    That's good to hear.  I'm still waiting for the usual suspects to actually get some stock in so I can buy one. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher