Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7754
    OR : they all get delivered at the same time, a natural proportion decide it's not for them and it's like xmas on the used market...
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1008
    edited December 2015
    Question for anyone using FRFR, and specifically the line 6 stagesource ones:

I know they can go plenty loud but can you use them quietly too? I play in a relatively small church as well as out and about in small venues so it'd need to sound good reasonably quietly. I currently use a 15w laney vc15 which is ideal. A hot rod deluxe for instance would be too loud even at it's quietest settings. I'm hoping that one of the advantages of switching to a helix with a FRFR powered speaker would mean I can get great pushed amp tones at bedroom/small room levels (as well as having plenty of power there should I need it?) Is this achieveable with the stagesource speakers system or do they start off quite loud at the minimum settings?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Having used both a HRD and a Stagesource... The L6 is *much* more controllable
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Basically, the run rate of Helix manufacturing isn't based on how many people Line 6 believed would buy Helix; it was based on initial dealer orders (all taken before the big market launch this past June).

So if we're convinced people will buy 6, but dealers only order 3, we might build 4 just to be safe.

Then when 10 preorders come in months before the thing even ships... (!!!)

FWIU, we haven't stopped building Helices since June. The trick is that these are sophisticated, expensive boxes with tight tolerances and a pretty elaborate test procedure, so we're not able to crank them out like MIDI Mobilizers. We'll get to everyone as soon as we can, but we're not willing to skimp on manufacturing procedures or testing to speed things up. If there's an upside, it's that Helix will continue to get new features and models, so by the time yours comes in, it'll be even better.

Okay, so that's a total cop out. Sorry.

Best bit of company PR I've seen for ages. You admit that it's going to take time, you're open about why, and you offer a heartfelt sorry. Bang on, Mr Line 6, bang on. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1008
    edited December 2015
    Bad news for those who have preordered with Andertons (and I imagine everywhere else its likely to be the same story.) 

I was told when I pre-ordered weeks ago they had ordered 35 units for the end of December. They were told after I ordered that they would only be getting 20 of those. I am number 20 on the list. Only 2 weeks to wait then, except as of yesterday they were told by Line 6 that they would in fact only be getting 5!!! 

I'm assuming they are building them as fast as they can to clear pre-orders. If this is the maximum rate of supply then it will take Andertons 4 months to even get to my preorder. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just stick with pedals. 

Another thing that concerns me is the 'all eggs in one basket' aspect of the Helix and the short 1 year warranty. I had a line 6 pod xt live and never had a problem with it ever. However, I also had a line 6 m9, m5, mm4 and ALL had footswitch issues. I know the footswitches have been redesigned for the Helix but already there are 2 or 3 threads on line 6's own forums about footswitches that have failed on the Helix. 

I really hope that Line 6 can offer some reassurance that with a pro level, expensive device like this, that if a switch craps out after 12 months that you won't just be hung out to dry. I'd hope that they would either fix it for you anyway or offer some advice about repairs and that you'd be able to purchase the correct parts to do the repairs yourself. A footswitch is a component that takes a lot of wear and tear and is the most likely part on the whole unit to fail. 
    Having said that, on the forum I've seen nothing but high praise for customer service at line 6 regarding the Helix so hopefully it won't be an issue.
  • 12 month warranty seems a bit sparse in this day and age

• Now that the dust has settled a bit I have to say given the choice my money would go on the FX8

• 12 months seems pretty standard still. It's a shame really.
  • UK Sale of Goods covers you for anything that's a known defect for several years (like switches that regularly crap-out, etc). More hassle to sort out than under a straight warranty, but UK consumer rights are excellent.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Thomann and DV247 offer a 3 year guarantee as standard, if I were buying a Helix I know I'd be getting it from somewhere that offers this.  
  • 3 years is more like it

• dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    The way I turn around gear, a 3 week warranty is usually fine with me. Just enough for distance selling regs to elapse so that I'm stuck with it and then gives me a week to move it on at considerable loss.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    3 years is more like it
    Is that the waiting time for a Helix now?
  • I'm actually surprised that is a BIN and not an auction given the supply at the minute.
    Surprised it's still there, I'm tempted!
  • It has ended, did you buy it @John_A ?
    @guitarfishbay. No common sense got the better of me ;). Just got a new amp set-up, and haven't even gigged it yet so decided to pass. It was cheap though, someone got a good deal
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1333
    This has been shared on line 6 fb page yesterday and blimey it sounds delicious. Good to hear real users home record rather than another dealer test.

https://m.soundcloud.com/peter-john-hanmer/still-want-you-back
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24880
    I see Pete Thorn has just got his.

Demo to follow hopefully!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd