Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• @uncletrev where have you ordered it from?
    Andertons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    Moltisanti;928057" said:

I agree that Line 6 has nailed the interface and it looks way slicker than the FX8 - however if one sounds better than the other then the interface is neither here nor there.
    I don't agree on this.

I borrowed an axe fx ultra for a while and programing it felt like doing maths homework. How good it sounded was academic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Moltisanti;928057" said:

I agree that Line 6 has nailed the interface and it looks way slicker than the FX8 - however if one sounds better than the other then the interface is neither here nor there.
    I don't agree on this.

I borrowed an axe fx ultra for a while and programing it felt like doing maths homework. How good it sounded was academic.
    Even though I am an Axe FX II user, I agree with you. Editing on the units themselves, the Helix is much nicer. Since I've just focused on using it in a studio capacity though, I only ever use the AxeEdit software though, and that's perfectly usable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1008
    edited January 2016
    monquixote;928536" said:
    [quote="Moltisanti;928057"]
    I don't agree on this.

[/quote]

I don't agree either. As with an actual pedalboard, when playing out somewhere you often need to tweak a little here and there to suit it to the envoronment, size of the room, volume you're playing at etc.

A good editor is great for the studio but a device should be easy and quick to adjust and tweak anywhere on the fly. Helix couldn't be easier. Of course sound is the most important but for me, if something is impossible to adjust quickly it's as good a reason to leave it on the shelf as it not sounding quite as good.
  • Just received notification that i should be the proud owner of a Helix tomorrow...

might need to book some time off work especially :)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Just bagged one from Andertons.  They still show one in stock at the time of writing this and the Yamaha shop in London is showing them as in stock too.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • I had the text from Andertons today too saying it should be delivered tomorrow.
  • Oh, you're all in for a treat. Happy Helix Day!
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    looks like it's all happening :D

I hope they all kick ass!

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    And relax.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Can't wait for FW 3.0 for the FX8
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9717
    Hmmm.... I know I'll leap this year on one of these...
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    It is a leap year afterall
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9717

Well spotted ;)
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372

Well spotted ;)
    I did feel it couldn't have been an accidental turn of phrase :-)
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    monquixote;928536" said:
    [quote="Moltisanti;928057"]
    I don't agree on this.

[/quote]

I don't agree either. As with an actual pedalboard, when playing out somewhere you often need to tweak a little here and there to suit it to the envoronment, size of the room, volume you're playing at etc.

A good editor is great for the studio but a device should be easy and quick to adjust and tweak anywhere on the fly. Helix couldn't be easier. Of course sound is the most important but for me, if something is impossible to adjust quickly it's as good a reason to leave it on the shelf as it not sounding quite as good.
    There's a balance, of course, but by and large I'd go for the better sounding unit, and the FX8 is absolutely fine to program either on the box or with the software (and I don't like programming). I'm wary of the Helix because I've never liked anything Line6 have produced in terms of sound, but perfectly willing to believe that it is a step forward for them. V happy with my FX8, though. 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    having spent a couple of hours with the FX8 today programming is light years ahead of the old BOSS Multi FX on the unit itself, and with the USB cable via my mac it's super easy

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    I'm sure the Fractal UI has got better over the years and I expect it's cake on a PC, but I don't normally have a PC to hand when I'm doing music stuff so if it doesn't work from the front panel I don't use it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Cabicular;930806" said:
    Can't wait for FW 3.0 for the FX8
    Seconded.