Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I've just spent the best part of an hour reading the FAQ page on the line6 forum
    Oh my giddy aunt.. I don't know how @digitaligloo can make himself get out of bed in the morning
    It's either giddy fanboi ism , passive aggressive threats, people who think they are professional musicians (when they clearly aren't) and serial moaners
    I've done forum guru stuff before for Yamaha but it wasn't nearly as bad as this.
    Essentially you could give most of those folks a million quid and they'd be on complaining about how you didn't supply a wallet
    One or two reasonable people but kids today ... Etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Cabicular said:
    I've just spent the best part of an hour reading the FAQ page on the line6 forum
    Oh my giddy aunt.. I don't know how @digitaligloo can make himself get out of bed in the morning
    It's either giddy fanboi ism , passive aggressive threats, people who think they are professional musicians (when they clearly aren't) and serial moaners
    I've done forum guru stuff before for Yamaha but it wasn't nearly as bad as this.
    Essentially you could give most of those folks a million quid and they'd be on complaining about how you didn't supply a wallet
    One or two reasonable people but kids today ... Etc
    Old grumpy sod ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The irony of me complaining on one forum about people who complain on an another ..... ;)
  • dindude said:
    The way I turn around gear, a 3 week warranty is usually fine with me. Just enough for distance selling regs to elapse so that I'm stuck with it and then gives me a week to move it on at considerable loss.

Comic genius mate... But sadly true about me as well :)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Tbh the guys on the L6 forum are some of the biggest whingers on planet earth. I used to have to "reach out" to some of them to see if there was anything the company could do to solve their complaints.

There was one guy who spouted bile and vitriol against any mention of Variax. When I contacted him it turned out he'd never played one... yet he was busy telling everyone that there was *this fault* and *that setup issue*. He shut the heck up after that...

Tbh, Line6 ought to take a firmer moderation stance than they do - rule one of this place could be well applied.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Unfortunately it's a lot easier to deride a piece of gear than praise it, whether it's to fit in with the "crowd" or just out of spite . I still stand by my statement that the Helix has been a bit of a revelation, especially at the price point
  • part of the problem Line 6 have is a lot of their multi FX products in the past have flattered to decieve, they start out looking great but turn out to be short lived.

Personally I've owned an XT Live which i didn;t get on with at all, an M5 which looks great on paper but is truly horrible to live with on a pedalboard. The point being people are quick to jump on a negative band wagon with Line 6, whereas with Axe FX people are more forgiving as the products they have released so far have all been superb.

edited December 2015
    M13 was a triumph though Never really got on with the PODs Will be interesting if the Helix changes that The FX8 forum is a lot less moany but there is like 3 guys on it and they are predominantly bible bashers who think everything is awesome The FX8 itself is a so so FX unit. Sounds pretty good but it's not amazing and it's a ball ache to program
  • impmann said:
    Tbh the guys on the L6 forum are some of the biggest whingers on planet earth. I used to have to "reach out" to some of them to see if there was anything the company could do to solve their complaints.

There was one guy who spouted bile and vitriol against any mention of Variax. When I contacted him it turned out he'd never played one... yet he was busy telling everyone that there was *this fault* and *that setup issue*. He shut the heck up after that...

Tbh, Line6 ought to take a firmer moderation stance than they do - rule one of this place could be well applied.
    I just figure it's karma for when I used to troll Harmony Central nonstop.

We generally let people complain all they want on our forums—it's a huge reason why we worked so hard on Helix. At least none of them are that guy who created a bunch of official-looking Facebook pages, pretending to be us just to pimp his presets for a competing product...
    :x
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:

We generally let people complain all they want on our forums—it's a huge reason why we worked so hard on Helix. At least none of them are that guy who created a bunch of official-looking Facebook pages, pretending to be us just to pimp his presets for a competing product...
    :x
    People are dumb. We had a guy who exported a shit ton of midi from our software products and put them on a store for sale!! Bloody jokers.
  • I just figure it's karma for when I used to troll Harmony Central nonstop.

I imagine it's easier to troll there now HC is down to three forumites and a bored looking dog. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader

I imagine it's easier to troll there now HC is down to three forumites and a bored looking dog. 
    off topic.... why did it die so badly HC- not the dog
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Terrible software updates. The forum would be on- and offline regularly. I can't remember th elast major change but the command came down that swearing was frowned upon, certain things like the boobs thread in the Amps forum became banned material... by the end of 2012, a lot of people had left. I stopped regularly posting around the start of 2013. 

Now it's under Gibson ownership so the party times are sure to return. 

I learnt tons about effects there. Some genuinely funny people posted there too and some absolute nutbaskets. 

• ThorpyFX said:
    I logged probably 15,000 posts which all got wiped out sometime early last decade. Post counts aren't all that important, but it scared off a few people. Then a total redesign of the UI (which removed quite a few features) made everyone take off. Didn't know about the boob thread.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    I logged probably 15,000 posts which all got wiped out sometime early last decade. Post counts aren't all that important, but it scared off a few people. Then a total redesign of the UI (which removed quite a few features) made everyone take off. Didn't know about the boob thread.

ThorpyFX said:
    Terrible software updates. The forum would be on- and offline regularly. I can't remember th elast major change but the command came down that swearing was frowned upon, certain things like the boobs thread in the Amps forum became banned material... by the end of 2012, a lot of people had left. I stopped regularly posting around the start of 2013. 

I learnt tons about effects there. Some genuinely funny people posted there too and some absolute nutbaskets. 
    Well makes sense that people would desert it, i remember i used to read it a lot, but drifted away for some reason.... probably because of some or all of the above. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX said:

How much did you learn about bewbs? :)
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22587
    edited December 2015
    Drew_fx said:
    Mostly that they're really hard to model digitally and analog is definitely superior :D

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    Mostly that they're really hard to model digitally and analog is definitely superior :D
    Hmmm, I dunno. I'd give a pair a good digitalling.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just got my Helix from GuitarGuitar. I'll try to work it out tonight. Initial sounds are pretty fab, actually. :)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4799
    edited December 2015

John_A said:
    Thomann and DV247 offer a 3 year guarantee as standard, if I were buying a Helix I know I'd be getting it from somewhere that offers this.  

Agreed - a 12 months warranty is not sufficient on an item of this sophistication and at this price-point.  Some manufacturers like Laney (in the UK) give an extended warranty free for 5 years when you register on-line.  

However, UK consumer legislation (Sale & Supply of Goods Act) is the best in the world - which is why purchasing expensive extended warranties is largely un-necessary in the UK. Little known to most people is that this legislation has real teeth and it is the retailer (not the manufacturer) that has a liability for (potentially) up to 6 years in respect of goods sold.  

So if your high-end Line 6 Helix failed after 12 months and Line 6 didn't support, regardless of the Line 6 warranty or whether a retailer gives their own extended warranty, the Retailer is still on the hook.  How far into the 6 years depends on the goods complexity, value, reasonable expectations of product performance, normal usage, and product lifespan.  Assuming the item has not been abused, on an item like this and at this price point the retailer would have a tough time getting off the hook for 100% liability within at least 2 or probably even 3 years.  Thereafter they would still be on the hook for repair costs albeit possibly for a reduced percentage (this is based on published cases). 

Notwithstanding the above, Line 6 should demonstrate their confidence in their products by providing a no-quibble warranty of at least 2 years if not 3.  

And going back to the original post, simply because it saves aggravation of potentially having to issue small claims court proceedings against a retailer, I'd only buy more expensive items from an established retailer with a good record of customer service who give their own free extended warranty.  I'm aware of the previous 'debacle' surrounding DV247 but I've personally experienced absolutely excellent service from them on their extended warranty.  And Thomann has an excellent reputation and track record for customer service.  However, I'm a little surprised that (AFAIK) a huge retailer like Andertons isn't offering a free extended warranty yet. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom