It's even worse in real life.... Bleugh.....

What's Hot

Comments

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Need we remind ourselves that being somewhere we can witter on about how shit we consider guitars that we're never going to buy, is presumably exactly the kind of thing a guitar forum is for?

In the interests of balance, I'd like to point out that the B of Paul looks like a bum and the aul of Paul looks like poo coming out of the bum. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I like the wider necks, the G-force system and I'm willing to give the brass nut a chance.

I'm not fond of the Les Paul logo but what I really don't like is the number of these guitars with sharp fret ends protruding over the binding. It's easy to fix but suggests that Gibson are not using properly seasoned wood for their necks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    I'm not particularly a fan of that logo and don't really care much about the nut or a millimetre here or there in neck width, but the fuss seems disproportionate to me.

Some of you people need to get out of your bedrooms and onto some stages.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    I'm not that fussed about any of the 2015 mods, I don't ever see myself buying one, but the one thing I think is worst of all are the plastic tuner buttons - makes it look like a Woolworths catalogue special.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bobliefeldbobliefeld Frets: 425
    They're rubbish and there's enough pre 2015s out there that no one ever need play one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KuroblackKuroblack Frets: 78
    yeah, peace to you as well my friend - I certainly don't mean to piss over anything, but like anyone else on here, I'm entitled to have an opinion
    S'all good :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited June 2015
    ...what annoys me with all this, is that Gibson Fender etc, but Gibson mainly, bring out these modern contemporary spins and then take away the traditional versions that we all love and then only have them available as specials at mega £000s. I think this is partly fueling this rebellious feeling. We can't all be buying a new Gibson or two every year but we would like to expect to have access to a model we have all grown to revere and love over the years without feeling totally ripped off when we do.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

That said, if you're notorious for dragging the high e off the fretboard, this will be the perfect neck for you - genuinely. But to me, it wasn't necessary and on the low e it just looks a little... Odd. Again, maybe for some it's perfect. For me, it seemed daft to make the neck wider but not alter string spacing.

The one I tried (shop was desperate for me to try it) had a very square edge to the neck too, something I'd expect on an epi. Could have been a bad one though.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    Come on - we all know that we have to slag *everything* off that Gibson make, except historically accurate Sunburst flame tops, gold tops or customs. And then we all should be critical of the levels of finish, neck angles, headstock angles and weight relief. And then we should always refer back to one particular guitar that we played/owned/still own as evidence that Gibson have got it all wrong.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    impmann said:
    Come on - we all know that we have to slag *everything* off that Gibson make, except historically accurate Sunburst flame tops, gold tops or customs. And then we all should be critical of the levels of finish, neck angles, headstock angles and weight relief. And then we should always refer back to one particular guitar that we played/owned/still own as evidence that Gibson have got it all wrong.

its all about the type of glue and neck tenon, dont you know anything? :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    edited June 2015
    Who the f*ck is "Les Paulloo"?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I don't care in the slightest about whether they're 'historically accurate' - I just want them to concentrate on quality and durability, and not try to 'innovate' with gimmicks and "this year's model" crap. New features are fine as long as they actually offer genuine improvements without introducing other problems or by adding even more 'new features' to fix the problems of the previous new features.

And I can't stand that scribble logo, not because it's not the 'proper' one but just because it's plain ugly and looks like it was done with a marker pen - and I'm well aware that it's Les Paul's actual signature rather than a stylised typeface which the original is. If they wanted to commemorate his 100th year, I wouldn't mind it at all if they'd put it on the pickguard, which is apparently where he actually used to sign guitars.

I have no idea why I'm complaining really though, the shop I work for makes a lot of money fixing broken Gibson headstocks because they won't fix the design, and I'm sure we can offer a new nut, new tuners and headstock refinish package deal…

It's just sad for me to see a company whose products I've loved and used from as soon as I could afford them doing this sort of marketing-driven nonsense and releasing products that are unworthy of their name - in my opinion. For what it's worth, it's not just Gibson - I feel exactly the same about many of the things Marshall do and I'm as quick to criticise them as well.

I won't say any more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I have no idea why I'm complaining really though
    I agree
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    @ICBM Let it go mate....just breath and let it go.... ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    OK. Actually I will have to say one last thing - sorry :) - because I forgot to put it in that post and I should say so rather than editing it. And it's the important reason behind it, so I really should have remembered! (Not enough coffee on a Sunday morning ;).)

It's because I feel sorry for anyone - probably a young player, who has saved up their money for a real Gibson - who isn't really clued up about the 'improved' features and buys a new one, and then finds they have a guitar which has reliability problems, may not play as well as they expected if they've tried an older Gibson, and which they then can't even sell for a decent price because it's one of "those 2015 models" which Gibson are about to discount because most people aren't buying them.

In exactly the same way as I feel very sorry for all those people who bought Les Paul Studios which Gibson made with a fragile headstock and then supplied in a poorly-protecting gig bag, so one day they open the bag and find they're facing a £200 repair bill and a significant loss of resale value. I've seen that far too many times.

And that really is all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Even Epiphone give a proper hard case on their higher end models, the Tribute Plus is basically a Les Paul Standard without a nitro finish.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I'm just back from GuitarGuitar. They had some. Had a quick glance to see what the fuss is about.
    Lew said:
    I'm just back from GuitarGuitar. They had some. Had a quick glance to see what the fuss is about.
    did your eyeballs explode in their sockets?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1140
    it's stil funny to me that the traditional ways of stirring up shit on guitar forums never change, 10 years ago it was about long neck tenons and poor finishing around neck joints, weight relief, dry fretboards etc etc ..... now it's the 2015 changes, and anything about Mark Cameron :D

Gibson are a bit up and down, but my 2010 SG is a total winner and my V is ace too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    As well as being an easy target for classic forum comments,   it's also a sign that we care about the brand and model...    for most of us when we started a strat and a les paul were something to aspire to owning.  Now we have them we want them to still be great guitars.

I'm sure they are very good guitars but it's a shame that if I wanted to go and buy a new replacement for my les paul standard, I would have to look at other models as the new one doesn't fit my needs - I'm thinking about the bigger neck and tuners mainly.