It's even worse in real life.... Bleugh.....

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I like some of the new features like the boost, not keen on the universal tone control as i only use it on the bridge pickup but a few seconds with a soldering iron will fix that.
    in fact i would go as far as to say that the main reason i haven't tried one of the new les paul deluxes is because im scared i may actually buy the damn thing, i mean yeah the headstock decal isnt great but thats not a deal breaker for me and the 12 fret is fugly but frankly im more concerned about how the guitar feels and plays then how it looks.
    It's a good idea to innovate but really they should have kept the traditionals traditional for those that want a traditional les paul and maybe brought out tradition special and junior models too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    meltedbuzzbox;669656" said:
    Lew said:

I'm just back from GuitarGuitar. They had some. Had a quick glance to see what the fuss is about.

did your eyeballs explode in their sockets?
    @meltedbuzzbox it was a bit ugly but can't say I really cared. The Jags and Jazzys were much prettier. But £1700+ for a Johnny Marr and £470 for a Squier? Nuts.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    /\ so we conclude that the Squier's nuts are less important than Johnny Marr's...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Lew said:
    meltedbuzzbox;669656" said:
    Lew said:

I'm just back from GuitarGuitar. They had some. Had a quick glance to see what the fuss is about.

did your eyeballs explode in their sockets?
    @meltedbuzzbox it was a bit ugly but can't say I really cared. The Jags and Jazzys were much prettier. But £1700+ for a Johnny Marr and £470 for a Squier? Nuts.
    £470 for a Squier? Really? 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited June 2015
    Something like that aye.

Edit - looked at website. £420 for Mascis Squier.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Lew said:
    Something like that aye.

that is/was mij money

sod that
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    Same price at PMT Northampton for the Mascis - mental
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    Lew said:
    Something like that aye.

that is/was mij money

sod that
    Unfortunately as Squier's quality has gone up, so has their price tag.  The Vintage Modified offsets cost 300 quid now.

I always thought the VM offsets were great value at £265 but they jumped up £35 this year when Fender put all their prices up.  A 13% price jump on that model is a lot in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Given the quality of the ones I've played recently, I honestly don't think £400-£500 is too much. It's less in real terms than the original JVs were in the early 80s too.

The question is, if they were labelled 'Fender China' rather than 'Squier', would you still think they were overpriced? I can still remember when Fender Japan was perceived as an upgrade over Squier Japan, when the quality was exactly the same or even very marginally lower.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Am I selfish in saying that I really could not give a toss about the logo on the headstock?

It might not be pretty, but a blind man would be pleased to see it.

I think you pays your money and you takes your chances.

I'm not a Gibson fan myself, but I know that if I were to acquire one I probably wouldn't notice the difference between that and any other one!

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2915
    Hes right you know, again :)
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    It's fucking ridiculous looking. I couldn't play one. I don't even usually care what a guitar looks like as long as it's not stupidly loud because I need to gig for a living and that's not acceptable on a lot of gigs but seriously it looks ridiculous. Just. No.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    ICBM said:

It's because I feel sorry for anyone - probably a young player, who has saved up their money for a real Gibson - who isn't really clued up about the 'improved' features and buys a new one, and then finds they have a guitar which has reliability problems, may not play as well as they expected if they've tried an older Gibson, and which they then can't even sell for a decent price because it's one of "those 2015 models" which Gibson are about to discount because most people aren't buying them.

Yeah but how often does that happen? Lot's of things change like that...it'd be a bit like buying a brand new car and expecting it to be a vintage one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom