The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    I'd put Manu with Burrell and see what happens. Put 36 on the bench.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5027
    Sorry to hear of the injury to Cole but injuries are part and parcel of the game.  Nowadays guys are bulked up so much, it is amazing that so many players are able to turn up for training sessions a few days after an international match.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited February 2014
    not a lot, from the little Ive seen, Burrell's not really a distributor - more another outside like Manu
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    bertie said:
    not a lot, Burrell's not really a distributor - 
    Aye, he's a power house much like Manu...Great at breaking the gainline, but you won't get a lot of wide balls. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11429
    Robinson was one of a very few players who've crossed codes successfully at international level, and he was a freak, a genius. He also played on the wing or at full-back, which is easier than being a centre.

I may be wrong, but England has a recent history of taking ex-league-ers, paying them a ton of money, fast-tracking them into the England team and being less than impressed by their performance.

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4215
    edited February 2014

In league or Union, a wingers job is not that much different, Jason Robinson was a good player after a while, but do remember he played in a team which had one of the best forward packs ever seen In the modern age, which certainly helped him.

League players ain`t all they are cracked up to be, union is too complicated for a lot of them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

union is too complicated for a lot of them.

:D

good luck with your next trip 'oop north'
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585

union is too complicated for a lot of them.

Have to agree with Kone here. Crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, kick (repeat x millions). There's sod all in it.

<<<ducks for cover>>>

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    edited February 2014
    joking aside,  you're both perfectly right of course, one of the glaring "skill deficits" that was apparent in most converts,  the ability to off-load in the tackle.  Uber key in todays game more than ever,   IMHO of course
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4215
    edited February 2014
    At one time, league was superior due to players being pro, so were fitter. Once Union found its feet in mid 2003-05 the differences became less apparent.
    What has happened in Union is we have bulked up muscles at the expense of physical dexterity, fitter bigger and faster but less skilfull and less intelligence in reading the game. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    At one time, league was superior due to players being pro, so were fitter. Once Union found its feet in mid 2003-05 the differences became less apparent.
    What has happened in Union is we have bulked up muscles at the expense of physical dexterity, fitter bigger and faster but less skilfull and less intelligence in reading the game. 
    Have a wisdom.

So lads, lets have some early predictions. With Cole out we should have at least parity in the scrum, but I certainly think we've a better back row. Then it comes down to defence because while Brown and Kearney will have a right old ding dong I'd see the wings as about evenly matched. Courtney et al will be ready for our maul and if they can stop it you'd fancy England will play territory and let Farrell knock over the 3 pointers. 

If Care is allowed to control the game then I see a narrow win for England, but I would't be surpassed if we nicked it. A repeat of 2006 would do nicely!

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15860

not gonna predict the score, but I think Ireland have the edge in a couple of key areas, namely the breakdown and better tactical field position through an excellent kick chase game. I think that will be enough to give Ireland the win, could be by 3 points, could be by 30 though.

But I'm hoping for a repeat of your last visit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXmC_fku15Y

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

The thought of that day still makes me shudder. We have an actual backup tight head now though. He's good too. They call him The Baby Calf!

boring prediction, and forgetting the front-row,  I think the key to the outcome will, in addition to TBMs good spot about Care, be Irelands ability to handle Vuniploa's breaks and the effectiveness the 'choke tackle' 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    That is bad news for England, however they still have a number of tight heads who can still do a good job.
    I do think this is a good opportunity for England to get some valuable experience before RWC for the younger guys like Thomas. 
    But cole will be missed in the loose. 
    Cole has struggled for a fair time. Wilson is thought by Wig to be a margainally better scrummager. We shall see. THis is a test.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

bertie said:
    boring prediction, and forgetting the front-row,  I think the key to the outcome will, in addition to TBMs good spot about Care, be Irelands ability to handle Vuniploa's breaks and the effectiveness the 'choke tackle' 
    Joubert reffing. He loves release. Might work in Eng's favour.

Anyone going other than me?

nope,  but we've just found out that mrs bert is gigging on saturday after all (in cornwall again) so the trip to the caravan is off, now I wonder what I can do to pass the time...................hmm let me think............
    bertie said:
    nope,  but we've just found out that mrs bert is gigging on saturday after all (in cornwall again) so the trip to the caravan is off, now I wonder what I can do to pass the time...................hmm let me think............
    A mate of mine has a spare.

cheers for the thought,  but Id have to bring Frank................ and hes a fuckin beer monster when he's out
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom