The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• What also worries me is the effect refs interpretations are having on the games, in Wales Italy game Wales were penalised at scrum! when Italy were dropping it! when Italy were attacking France! Parisse clearly stamped on a French player in open play in front of ref as Frenchman was rolling away, nothing was done. Mahoney was off his feet at a number of rucks but was allowed to compete, whereas Scottish were not allowed against England. Still too much of a lottery where refs are having a bigger effect than players at times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    lol, was wondering when the "it was the refs fault" was gonna surface.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31120
    Kone- Parisse stamp- Peyper is a Jaapie. That 'stamp' was gentle persuasion IMO. Player was on wrong side. Just my view.

Re Wales and scrum, I haven't yet got over Adam Jones litany of dropped scrums in March, one was so laughable (64mins) when Jones was stretched out prone and Marler was still on his feet.

Mind you, that's what happens when your scrum half (DC) has shagged the ref's ex-wife.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• tbmtbm Frets: 585
    What also worries me is the effect refs interpretations are having on the games, in Wales Italy game Wales were penalised at scrum! when Italy were dropping it! when Italy were attacking France! Parisse clearly stamped on a French player in open play in front of ref as Frenchman was rolling away, nothing was done. Mahoney was off his feet at a number of rucks but was allowed to compete, whereas Scottish were not allowed against England. Still too much of a lottery where refs are having a bigger effect than players at times.
    Yeah, and Barnes was generally in a good position to see what O'Mahony was at. There were times when you could argue he wasn't supporting his own weight. I really don;t rate Barnes at all though. Remember when BOD (yes, I'm sorry to mention him Kone, but it's to make a point ;p) was blown up twice in the opening Lions test by Chris Pollock? Supporting his weight, competing fairly. BOD had no choice but to refrained from competing from then on.

That's why Nigel Owens is so good. I'm not saying he's perfect, but players know what to expect and he's sympathetic to how a game is being played. He gives players plenty of verbal warnings early on.
    Gassage said:
    Mind you, that's what happens when your scrum half (DC) has shagged the ref's ex-wife.
    Really? Sexy Steve Walsh's wife went elsewhere for nookie? Is she nuts?

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31120
    edited February 2014
    Pollock had a nosebleed of a game in first Lions test. The only SH refs worth a light are Glen Jackson and Peyper, who didn't have his best outing in Paris. Mark Lawrence is sadly missed and he walked after a spat with Paddy O'Brien, the most self-serving dickhead in the history of the game. Walsh is quite excellent actually, and lets the game breathe.

Joubert is awful IMO. We have him in the Eng/Ire game. His mamagement of the Irish chike tackle will be key to the game shape.

Nige is miles ahead of the rest right now. Poite also v good, and amazingly, Clancy has improved greatly. Barnes is a very technical ref- he is big on the tackler releasing the man, which is key to a good breakdown. Alan Lewis is sorely missed too- awesome person off pitch and Ireland's most capped cricketer too. His knees are fucked.

Walsh/DC- utterly true. Danny confirmed it. But note Walsh and Mrs W were estranged at the time. It took place on the night of the rape allegations in 08.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited February 2014
    tbm said:

That's why Nigel Owens is so good. I'm not saying he's perfect, but players know what to expect 
    *insert carry-on comment*

bring back Spreaders  thats what I say
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • I do not like Joubert at all, even though he gave us penalty after penalty against Scotland last year. And he also made sure NZ won the RWC .
    Poite absolutely hammered Wales last year for 50 mins, then for rest of match he hammered Ireland ?

And ref the stamp, a stamp such as what Parisee did, is the reason Rucking was stopped. As far as I am concerned you do the crime ie bring down mauls, lie over the ball, fall on wrong side etc, you deserve a good old shoeing.  But if it's seen in open play when there is no need for it, it should be punished on the pitch there and then.
  • VimFuego said:
    lol, was wondering when the "it was the refs fault" was gonna surface.

Did I say Wales lost because of ref ? No. All teams are having a problem with it at the moment which is why I said about certain issues, not just Wales.
    But Wales in the past have probably got more to complain about than most.
    Such as asking ref "do we have time for line out, or shall we take penalty to equalise ? " 
    Ref you have time for line out, we kick the ball out, ref blows time ! Happened twice, against NZ and Italy.

do you find them blinkers an issue in this heavy wind we're having?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4214
    edited February 2014
    VimFuego said:

do you find them blinkers an issue in this heavy wind we're having?

so I take it you find all refs the same and have no issues ?

well aren't you the special one.

nope, refs make mistakes all the time and get things wrong. It's your selective choice from above about who was on the receiving end of bad decisions. Incidently, I note with no small amount of interest you haven't responded to gassage's post about the reffing of the wales England scrum last year. That is so telling, those blinkers of yours must be really chafing, you should take them off occasionally.   :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Gassage said:
    Here you go: 6N team of week:

Brown
    Huget
    Burrell
    Fofana
    Trimble

Sexton
    Care or Murray

Vunipola
    N'yanga
    O'Mahony

O'Connell
    Lawes

Castro
    Hartley
    Healy

(actually, when I look at that side, it's pretty fair on all nations)

You forgot to keep a place for Gordon Darcy........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Actually I have often said ref was good or bad , no matter what the teams are playing.
    I thought the scrums last year was quite interesting, with Adam Jones winning his battle but Dan Cole winning his. Often the ref was on Adam Jones side when ball was put in, so ref gave it that way.
    I also said such disturbing words that I thought the lions tour was too many Welsh and Irish and not enough English and Scottish, so hardly one eyed.

Refs can make or break a game depending on who and where they are reffing. Not just mistakes, but they can have a clear detrimental effect on a team.
    I liked Wayne Barnes earlier in his career, but I feel after the amount of flak he took over France NZ game in 2007, his game went a bit, and he has struggled with his consistency.
    Clancy is getting better, but again some of his decisions are baffling.
    I wonder if Gassage knows which refs each countries prefer to avoid for their games ?
    which tells a story !

edited February 2014
    hmmm, I sure you think you said some of those things, but when we actually examine your posts closely it just doesn't stand up. But hey ho, it's just part of the banter, something you've been only too keen to engage in in the past. ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    hmmm, I sure you think you said some of those things, but when we actually examine your posts closely it just doesn't stand up. But hey ho, it's just part of the banter, something you've been only too keen to engage in in the past. ;)
    For instance ?

lol

"What also worries me is the effect refs interpretations are having on the games, in Wales Italy game Wales were penalised at scrum! when Italy were dropping it!  Mahoney was off his feet at a number of rucks but was allowed to compete, whereas Scottish were not allowed against England. Still too much of a lottery where refs are having a bigger effect than players at times"

spot any patterns there or do you need them pointing out to you? Still, that chip on your shoulder must help keep you dry.

• I was surprised at how badly we played at times during the lions tour. I think the balance of the squad was not that great with too many Welsh and Irish and not enough scots or English. Great to get a series win, which is never easy, but hardly a vintage Aussie squad ! I thought as usual some players relied on their reputations and some enhanced them. Standouts for me was AWJ, Jon Davies and Leigh halfpenny for theWelsh, and Corbs and the Youngs brothers for English. O'Connell was usual aggressive workhorse, and was missed after injury, Sexton impressed me, and also Tommy Bowe was usual Quality player. But it will be interesting how all these guys perform over next six nations. Some should have retired is all I would say.

here is an old post !
    lol, go back and read my post, I said some. And you still haven't addressed what I said about your clear bias in your ref post not what gassage said (other than making up some nonsense about what you "thought" at the time). Address the points raised or be forever mocked.

• VimFuego said:

lol

"What also worries me is the effect refs interpretations are having on the games, in Wales Italy game Wales were penalised at scrum! when Italy were dropping it!  Mahoney was off his feet at a number of rucks but was allowed to compete, whereas Scottish were not allowed against England. Still too much of a lottery where refs are having a bigger effect than players at times"

spot any patterns there or do you need them pointing out to you? Still, that chip on your shoulder must help keep you dry.

pretty clear to me at the time and commentators that castro was dropping it, on purpose to get penalty.

Some refs allow attacking side the 50 50 calls others the defending side.

I think we were well beaten by the better side in Dublin, no question, Scmidt did a number on us. that's the reason we lost, not the ref. I think in the England Wales game last year, Robshaw got on wrong side of ref, now I know a bit more with Danny Care, maybe it was more of that instead. Were Wales the better team on the day ? yes. did ref influence match ? yes.

lol, I won that one.