The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Jalapeno said:
    Gassage said:
    Rocker said:
    Citings: http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2016/1120/833145-new-zealands-malakai-fekito-and-sam-cane-citing/

Part of the problem with Rugby Union is the ingrained thinking that it is bad form to critically analyse the behaviour of the players on the field.  Such acceptance of violent and dangerous play, not to mention thuggery, does nothing for the game.   Winning has become the only thing that matters.

My problem with the All Blacks is that they went out against Ireland utterly determined not to lose.  Nothing much wrong with that approach but they were so determined that they went completely OTT in their tackles.  They would not have eased off if half the Ireland team were stretchered off the field.  That is why I cannot respect them as players.  The fact that the NZ team have won everything does not mitigate what happened on the pitch in Dublin last Saturday.
    Disagree mate. They were marginal calls, all of them.
    No way. The first in particular was all shoulder, with an afterthought of trying to use his arms. All the NZ high tackling, and neck clearout made the the result irrelevant IMHO. Forward pass or not - I am happy with that call, but for the rest the officals chickened out IMHO. NZ deserved the win, just, but they've tarnsihed their reputation.
    Rory Best expressed his concern more than once in the game, you could clearly hear it through the Referees mic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
    Launch has a 2 week ban.

Arse. Still, at least Kruis is back with the squad.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24273
    Just to annoy the Welsh contingent...

Liam Williams has signed for Sarries.

I wonder how long before Gatland expands the wildcard spots!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Just to annoy the Welsh contingent...

Liam Williams has signed for Sarries.

I wonder how long before Gatland expands the wildcard spots!
    I don't blame him, he's our best attacking "flair" player at the moment and has been for a few seasons now. I'm really worried about the state of the game in Wales - the regional game has failed to deliver on so many levels but the dwindling gates will probably the final nail in the coffin. The WRU have made some terrible decisions (ridiculously long contract for Gatland and recent extensions to the coaching staff - Howley et all) - unfortunately they don't have the money to change things and with the national team performing as poorly as they are, the financial picture is not going to improve.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    The main thing is that the nickname still kinda works. The Snarky Scarlet becomes The Snarky Saracen.... 

As annoying as Williams is, he has been the best Welsh back for a good while now. Great player. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • Worried about Welsh bench for SA game, backs, 9-10 and a one dimensional lump, If Roberts not starting, is there any point of him being on the bench when you would want to bring on some pace. 
    After All, lose a wing or full back, no pace to replace them, however lose a center we can chuck North in to outside centre.
    The game has moved on with pace, space and attack being the benchmark for success not running into each other to get over gain line. 
    Will Sam Davies get on pitch with enough time to change match? 
  • As I thought! No pace, no flair, and no impact from bench, as Howley will not trust Sam Davies to play! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    What a fucking farcical first half...  The ref is an absolute joke.
  • I was going to ask what people thought about it. I just got in from training, turned on the computer and saw what had happened and that an Argentine player had done a tip tackle and not got carded.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    I was going to ask what people thought about it. I just got in from training, turned on the computer and saw what had happened and that an Argentine player had done a tip tackle and not got carded.
    If Daly was a red, the Argentinian should've been a yellow.  Plus the 10 minutes of re-setting scrums felt like the ref was doing everything he could to make sure Argentina didn't go into half-time without a point...
  • Gulliver said:
    I was going to ask what people thought about it. I just got in from training, turned on the computer and saw what had happened and that an Argentine player had done a tip tackle and not got carded.
    If Daly was a red, the Argentinian should've been a yellow.  Plus the 10 minutes of re-setting scrums felt like the ref was doing everything he could to make sure Argentina didn't go into half-time without a point...
    Watched the first half in the pub...that's pretty much everybody's assessment. And what the hell was he doing letting play go on, then pulling everyone back for something he let go? Then the try-that-nobody-thought-was-a-try?

He's a total idiot.

Oddly, we didn't leave at half-time because of the game. A bunch of RAF twats took up half the tables in the TV room were deliberately doing their best to stop anybody watching the game - they even turned the TV over twice. Figured it'd be a good idea to leave before it kicked off.
    <space for hire>
  • I just looked up the referee.  He's always been fussy about scrums.  Gets annoying very quickly.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    SOB out injured for the Ireland game. I can see him going the way of Stephen Ferris at this stage. He can't stay fit. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    On the rules as they are now can't argue with the red card for Daly, although there should have been a yellow for the Argie one. I don't like it that the punishment isn't for the offence but for the outcome.

As for the ref, well, let's be generous and say he is gaining experience.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited November 2016
    Quite the worst SA team I've ever witnessed. Clueless, unfit and fat.
    Although if the SA team that finished the match had started it, may well have been a different outcome.  
    A slight improvement from Wales.
  • Tight finish from Ireland.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Very well done Ireland. pleased for them. Wales were disappointing.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited November 2016
    hywelg said:
    Very well done Ireland. pleased for them. Wales were disappointing.
    Couldn't really watch both, were Wales poor? Looked a good win on the scoreline.

From a Irish perspective looking at the team we finished with it makes the win even more impressive. Been an attritional Autumn series but even with a very unbalanced back line we held out and won. Delighted.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    No SA were poor. Wales were flattered by the score line. 
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Well done celtic cousins