The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Hartley - what the hell is he doing? Red card after being on for five minutes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    scrumhalf said:
    Deserved red card. Absolute scum behaviour
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    @Fretwired you'll remember what happened the week after the last time Leinster got a BP. Though saints were a better team then. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Gulliver said:
    I was going to ask what people thought about it. I just got in from training, turned on the computer and saw what had happened and that an Argentine player had done a tip tackle and not got carded.
    If Daly was a red, the Argentinian should've been a yellow.  Plus the 10 minutes of re-setting scrums felt like the ref was doing everything he could to make sure Argentina didn't go into half-time without a point...
    Watched the first half in the pub...that's pretty much everybody's assessment. And what the hell was he doing letting play go on, then pulling everyone back for something he let go? Then the try-that-nobody-thought-was-a-try?

He's a total idiot.

Oddly, we didn't leave at half-time because of the game. A bunch of RAF twats took up half the tables in the TV room were deliberately doing their best to stop anybody watching the game - they even turned the TV over twice. Figured it'd be a good idea to leave before it kicked off.

Properly ugly win today. A lot of dodgy Argentine play getting ignored and a lot of decisions going against us and we still ended up with a win.   Next week will be a tough one as you can see tiredness is kicking in for the England squad...
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Gassage said:
    Gulliver said:
    I was going to ask what people thought about it. I just got in from training, turned on the computer and saw what had happened and that an Argentine player had done a tip tackle and not got carded.
    If Daly was a red, the Argentinian should've been a yellow.  P
    Rubbish.

Ref was spot on
    Can someone explain why ?
    is it purely because May stuck his leg out rather than allowing himself to just fall.  In whichcase he would have been tipped and then it's a red card.

So the worrying thing this prompts is rugby turning into football whereby the tackled player makes the most of how they fall to get a Red Card.

The law was presumably written to take into account how serious the tackle was by relating it to the actual consequence, which seems sensible but I in this case, May has done his team a disservice.  That can't be right

personally I can't see the actual difference between the 2 tackles - honestly 
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Gulliver said:
    If Daly was a red, the Argentinian should've been a yellow.  Plus the 10 minutes of re-setting scrums felt like the ref was doing everything he could to make sure Argentina didn't go into half-time without a point...
    Watched the first half in the pub...that's pretty much everybody's assessment. And what the hell was he doing letting play go on, then pulling everyone back for something he let go? Then the try-that-nobody-thought-was-a-try?

He's a total idiot.

Oddly, we didn't leave at half-time because of the game. A bunch of RAF twats took up half the tables in the TV room were deliberately doing their best to stop anybody watching the game - they even turned the TV over twice. Figured it'd be a good idea to leave before it kicked off.

Properly ugly win today. A lot of dodgy Argentine play getting ignored and a lot of decisions going against us and we still ended up with a win.   Next week will be a tough one as you can see tiredness is kicking in for the England squad...
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Gassage said:
    Gulliver said:
    If Daly was a red, the Argentinian should've been a yellow.  P
    Rubbish.

Ref was spot on
    Can someone explain why ?
    is it purely because May stuck his leg out rather than allowing himself to just fall.  In whichcase he would have been tipped and then it's a red card.

So the worrying thing this prompts is rugby turning into football whereby the tackled player makes the most of how they fall to get a Red Card.

The law was presumably written to take into account how serious the tackle was by relating it to the actual consequence, which seems sensible but I in this case, May has done his team a disservice.  That can't be right

personally I can't see the actual difference between the 2 tackles - honestly 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    eSully said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Deserved red card. Absolute scum behaviour
    Deserved yes. It was contact with the head. No arguments from me.

But not scum behaviour. It was sloppy, and stupid, and it was bad timing, but if Wood has missed the tackle on SOB, then SOB would have been upright and the contact would have been round the body.

There was clearly no intent. So to describe it as scum behaviour is more than a bit pathetic even for Hartley haters.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Fretwired - Rather than give a knee jerk reply I saw your comment and thought. Right, when I'm at a computer next I'll watch it again and if I'm wrong then fair enough. I think you should watch it again. I've linked it for you, skip to 1:30 to see both replay angles. 'Sloppy' is a not the way I'd describe an aggressive full force swinging arm into a player with their back turned to you. There was no attempt to wrap or make a clean or safe tackle, he obviously wasn't trying to position himself to jackal for the ball, to me there is clear intent to hit him with that swinging arm. So, I stand by it. I'm not a Hartley or Saints hater btw.

Why do you repeatedly tag the wrong person?
    I saw it live, then On the news, then in the Saints channel.

Its not malicious, thus not scum behaviour.

Stupid, reckless, negligent, more than likely.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence"

Why do you repeatedly tag the wrong person?
    I did tag fretwired incorrectly there but repeatedly?

Anyway. Regarding the incident. To me it looks like there's intent with that swinging arm. Agree to disagree. We'll see if he gets any further sanction.

How serious was the Hanrahan injury?

Dunno yet. Saints are stuck in the North inquiry at the mo. Other info is a bit quiet.

Mallinder's time is up though I think, especially after Wood's brutally honest radio interview.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    Jaysus, what did Wood say? Attractive job the Saints one. The players are there. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • tbm said:
    Jaysus, what did Wood say? Attractive job the Saints one. The players are there. 
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38225245

Check the embedded audio at the bottom of the article. You get the flavour in the first 10 seconds...

Interviewer: "There are a lot of things to be quite pleased about from tonight's game, aren't there?"
    Tom Wood: "No."
    <space for hire>
  • It sounds like there's rugby going on on BT sport 2, but I can't see anything.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912

This week, Craig Joubert retired.

I was shocked at some of the mindless and poor comments directed at the bloke on various media. He had one bad game and he admitted he fucked up.

He has been one of the finest refs of all time- a more humble and honest bloke you couldn't hope to meet, and he oozes class and humility.

The number of times I've questioned his calls only to be put right in my place when rewatching the game is legion.

He is simply one of the most accurate and honest refs rugby has seen and I think his 70 tests prove that.

I will really miss CJ. Utterly brilliant referee and few close to him, maybe Nigel and Poite and Garces....that's it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I'd have swapped Joubert for the joker who reffed the Wasps-Connacht game.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    scrumhalf said:
    I'd have swapped Joubert for the joker who reffed the Wasps-Connacht game.
    Ruiz. He's highly thought of. Not quite Garces or Poite though yet.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

As expected JJ is leaving Saints and going back to Munster.

He reckons it will give him a better chance of getting that funny green shirt.