The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    eSully said:
    In some ways it's even worse than what DigitalScream described. How many big hits will a Drew Brees or Tom Brady take, say they're sacked on average twice a game! Someone like Sexton or Farrell will probably take or make more tackles in a 40 minute half of rugby than some NFL players will in a season.

There's definitely too much rugby and it dilutes the product. I don't think its on the cards but I'd be a huge fan of a Global season will a defined rest period for all players. I won't lie, I'd love to see rugby be a Spring/summer sport in the NH
    They might be sacked twice, but it only counts as a sack if they're still holding onto the ball. They're probably hit 10+ times a game (which obviously is still less than some rugby players - but wanted to make sure we were dealing with accurate assumptions)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    @joneve - I stand corrected, re-reading my point it's obviously inaccurate. I do completely agree with @crunchman original point though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11347
    i seem to remember some time ago reading that the trauma to the body of a top-class rugby game was similar to that of a car crash.

Airbags for rugby players?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30949
    Re reading this thread I have made a mental note to avoid all of the emerging Welsh white wines this year as the fruit appears very acerbic.....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Re reading this thread I have made a mental note to avoid all of the emerging Welsh white wines this year as the fruit appears very acerbic.....
    You know why Floyd wrote sheep...really
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Interesting thoughts:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/39006809

Discuss.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    edited February 2017
    Rocker said:
    Unlike UK Football which is sitting at the pinnacle of skill and professionalism?

I'm not buying the 30 years behind. Yes there are skills gaps / greater emphasis on speed and power verses accuracy and innovation but Rugby Union is not in the dark ages. I think that Ryan is correct to flag the growong obsession with power and size, but that's about it.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Rocker said:
    I'd have agreed 5 years ago but not now. Some excellent skills on display in all the 6n games. Handling has improved beyond recognition, as has passing execution under pressure (look at some of the long cut out passes over the 1st 2 weekends in particular. In the past they would typically have been slow, parabolic and behind the runner. Now they are fast and flat). 
    exocet said:
    Rocker said:
    Unlike UK Football which is sitting at the pinnacle of skill and professionalism?

I'm not buying the 30 years behind. Yes there are skills gaps / greater emphasis on speed and power verses accuracy and innovation but Rugby Union is not in the dark ages. I think that Ryan is correct to flag the growong obsession with power and size, but that's about it.
    I think his comments on that are even a little outdated. Again, yes a couple of years ago, but equally teams have now realised that they need to move the ball at pace and score tries to win games. 
  • kjdowd said:
    exocet said:
    Rocker said:

I think his comments on that are even a little outdated. Again, yes a couple of years ago, but equally teams have now realised that they need to move the ball at pace and score tries to win games. 
    To be fair...back in the 1995 and 1999 World Cups, there were a lot more astounding bits of skill with the ball changing hands faster than you could see without watching it back, particularly from the All Blacks and the Pacific island teams. That doesn't seem to happen any more.
    <space for hire>
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3040
    edited February 2017
    He raises good points. For full time pros its suprising to have top players pointed out for poor tackling technique for instance eg halfpenny getting his head the wrong side. North and Cuthbert's poor defensive work.  Glad this guy has joined the WRU. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1960
    Gassage said:
    At least it's golden to behold  B)
    How many tries has Hogg created with quick hands over the past couple of years? Real point of difference for him
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    edited February 2017
    Yes he's no1 for the Lions gig. Kearney as.No2 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30949
    Well, the Proclaimers will make a million on MCPS and PRS tonight...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    Scotland played very well. Got better as soon as they nudged ahead early in 2nd half. Bizarre game from a Welsh perspective, they looked pretty comfortable going into half time. So many unforced  errors and yet again the lineout misfired. Will it change anything with respect to players picked etc....i doubt it. Pity Scotland aren't playing England at home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I missed most of the game but what I saw looked pretty good.  How do you think the Calcutta Cup match is going to go?
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Missed most of the second half of Wales - Scotland, thought Wales were doing pretty well in the first half but the scoreline looks comfortable in the end.

Decent game in Dublin, France on top early but Ireland have been very strong in the last 20 minutes. Hopefully that can follow through into the second half
  • Wales have some serious problems, relying on size v skill is biggest problem. 
    North is as bad as Cuthbert with defence and needs dropping. We need to add some pace to the team, and look what we have to cover backs Roberts, not a guy to raise the pace as game goes on. 
    Oh and ref was perfect, never missed a thing!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wales have some serious problems, relying on size v skill is biggest problem. 
    North is as bad as Cuthbert with defence and needs dropping. We need to add some pace to the team, and look what we have to cover backs Roberts, not a guy to raise the pace as game goes on. 
    Oh and ref was perfect, never missed a thing!
    Nice one :) 

agree Wales have problems tho. It was a terrible team performance. Some decent individual cameos but as a team they looked clueless.