The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2850
    scrumhalf said:
    Owen Farrell - never knowingly under-argued.
    He had an interesting point, ok he was holding on, and maybe that’s a penalty, but does that make it acceptable to punch again and again.  Normally in rugby retaliation takes it the other way, and probably rightly so.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Game 1 , CJS and VDF were awesome, playing like they were in their youth

Game 2 back to normal (which is pretty good, albeit)

Game 3 not influential at all

so 2 experienced back rowers holding on to past glories, and on the basis of Game 1.

the new breed are fabulous,  maybe time to let them go?

Youll never convince me that Po’M isn’t worth his place - he can still play world class rugby when he’s 40! :)

• exocetexocet Frets: 1979
    edited February 2020
    sev112 said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Owen Farrell - never knowingly under-argued.
    He had an interesting point, ok he was holding on, and maybe that’s a penalty, but does that make it acceptable to punch again and again.  Normally in rugby retaliation takes it the other way, and probably rightly so.

Looked more like repeated "open handed thrusts" to remove the offending "attachment" rather than punching? I've always interpreted a punch to be with a closed fist. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I must have been watching something different if they were open handed :)
    it was handbags, but he shouldn’t have done it. Sends a poor message imho (which is worth very little in the big scheme if things :) )
  • Farrell finally learns to wrap his arms in a tackle...... but at totally the wrong time! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    sev112 said:
    it was handbags, but he shouldn’t have done it. Sends a poor message imho (which is worth very little in the big scheme if things :) )
    They were, watch it again.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ok, tried to on YouTube last night but they don’t show it.  Fair enough
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3886
    sev112 said:
    I agree; open handed or fists makes no difference. Farrell was in the wrong but the hitting was out of order and sends a bad message. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31918
    drofluf said:
    sev112 said:
    I agree; open handed or fists makes no difference. Farrell was in the wrong but the hitting was out of order and sends a bad message. 
    Bollocks, he was cheating in the most obvious way like a fucking five year old in front of millions of people, while the other player was trying to free himself with the palm of his hand. 

I sometimes miss the days when whiney little fuckers like Sexton, Farrell and Biggar would've been raked to hell and back for their footballer attitude.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3886
    Farrell was definitely at fault but the other player looked more like a toddler throwing a tantrum. If I were making a serious attempt to free myself in a similar situation I’d be going for the arms round my legs rather than hitting the torso. 

But I suspect we’re unlikely to agree on this :) 
    drofluf said:
    Farrell was definitely at fault but the other player looked more like a toddler throwing a tantrum. If I were making a serious attempt to free myself in a similar situation I’d be going for the arms round my legs rather than hitting the torso. 

But I suspect we’re unlikely to agree on this :) 
    He was, he was trying to knock his arm away. 
    I'm not even sure we're talking about the same incident any more. 
    :)  if I wanted to be fair to Farrell, he was onky doing what everyone else was doing in all the other rucks.  
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    The Irish Minister for Health has stated that the Ireland -v- Italy match should not go ahead next week.  This is due to the outbreak of coronavirus .............

I presume this includes all the Ireland/Italy matches, U20s, Women's and so on.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• exocetexocet Frets: 1979
    Rocker said:
    The Irish Minister for Health has stated that the Ireland -v- Italy match should not go ahead next week.  This is due to the outbreak of coronavirus .............

I presume this includes all the Ireland/Italy matches, U20s, Women's and so on.
    Sensible thing to do - thousands of travelling fans wouldn't help the situation.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15839
    cos there isn't already enough money in rugby: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51704956

this'll be a horrendously bad idea IMO. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11513
    VimFuego said:
    cos there isn't already enough money in rugby: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51704956

Agreed.

Look at what has happened to Cricket since it went behind a paywall in 2005.

On a separate subject - what are the odds of this weekend's 6N matches going ahead with all the coronavirus stuff?

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24835
    VimFuego said:

F1 used to have 1.5 million UK viewers per race.

Now it has 300,000

New owners Liberty F1 are not happy with the tanking figures around the world, as unlike Bernie they recognise that you need casual fans to give watching it a try to then turn them into regular fans. 

As the Prem and the England Internationals are already PPV the decision seems stupid - the BBC with ITV have got massive watching numbers that Sky just won't get. F1 can cope (a bit) as it's mainly an advertising spend for the manufacturers. Rugby doesn't have that.

The 6N needs to be added to the Grade A list under the Broadcasting Act to keep it on terrestrial.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15839
    I also don't see the issue with the joint bid, money's money, don't matter if half of it is from the beeb and the other half ITV, unless you want to give the rights to, say, Sky. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    If it goes to Sky it would be a horrendously stupid decision. And England centric too. Their club scene might well be very healthy but in Wales it really isn't and will suffer proportionally more. In Wales it is the premier sporting event and worthy of Grade A classification. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Regional rugby is dying on its arse in Wales since it disappeared off the TV. 

They're dumb enough to think that if millions of people can't watch it at home they'll go to matches, but in fact overall interest just tapers off. 

For the first time in my life I'm now a casual test match only viewer, often having to Google the names of players who are playing for my country because I've never heard of them. 

I always laugh when Welsh people call rugby our national sport when you get 7-8 times the attendance at Welsh club football matches.