The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24859
    I think I read somewhere that a Welsh MP has tabled a motion to get it relisted as an A rated event.

Govt has other things to worry about now though so I doubt it will get any time.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Vunipola not now available, as he's self-isolating after passing through Hong Kong:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51721889

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1401
    VimFuego said:
    cos there isn't already enough money in rugby: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51704956

this'll be a horrendously bad idea IMO. 
    Due to cuts in funding, the RFU are not supporting the Schools cup semi finals this year which have traditionally been played at Allianz. Games are played all day across multiple completions and the 2 age groups. Win or lose, these have been terrific events for school rugby and the players love it. They are well attended by parents, friends and wider family watching the players give it 100%.  Imagine being a 15yo trotting out to play a massive game at a national venue.

i know for a fact, other premiership grounds offered to do it for free.

Shame on you RFU for pulling funding and not supporting the up and coming players.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11425
    The RFU needs to be reformed from top to bottom. There us so much money sloshing around in the game, it has to be managed better.

Are we that far away from Will Carling's "57 old farts"? 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11518
    scrumhalf said:
    The RFU needs to be reformed from top to bottom. There us so much money sloshing around in the game, it has to be managed better.

Are we that far away from Will Carling's "57 old farts"? 

It's possible that the old farts were better than the current lot.  With backgrounds in the amateur game, they would have realised the need to support the lower levels and keep participation up.

When you look at the governing bodies of all the major sports, we are a bit stuffed long term.  We are unlikely to have anything good to watch in 25 years time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Daft playing an international game behind closed doors. The 6N Championship is not going to be finalised until much later this year so why the rush?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Daft playing an international game behind closed doors. The 6N Championship is not going to be finalised until much later this year so why the rush?
    Some places reporting that the Italy home games will be called off / postponed.

6N committee is meeting today about it. The Times said decisions been made already.

Now confirmed - Italy -v- England is postponed.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    For those going to Twickenham on Saturday, please note that to honour England's onging back row selections, the Scrum Bar Band will feature a drummer on guitar, a guitarist on keys, a bassist on drums and a keys player on bass.

It'll be fine though - all great player

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    Gassage said:
    For those going to Twickenham on Saturday, please note that to honour England's onging back row selections, the Scrum Bar Band will feature a drummer on guitar, a guitarist on keys, a bassist on drums and a keys player on bass.

Did you never see the Hamsters? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    hywelg said:
    Gassage said:

Many times for me.

They were excellent. As what the bit of the show you allude to.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    hywelg said:
    Gassage said:

Ironically I watched Dave Bronze last week.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11425
    Gassage said:
    hywelg said:
    Gassage said:

Ironically I watched Dave Bronze last week.

Was this at a gig or is there something you want to share wiith the rest of the forum?
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1401
    edited March 2020
    So with reference to the corona virus, we have cancelled games and games behind closed doors. Is there any premiership footy on this weekend? I wonder what the attendances would be for all football vs rugby this weekend?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    Scotland women’s game has been called off, one of the players has tested positive.

Not good.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2036
    Never a red
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Schnozz said:
    Never a red
    Where were his arms? 

And why did Joe Marler feel the need to fondle AWJ’s balls?

btw: well deserved England win, fair play. But you got a bit dirty towards the end there. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    edited March 2020
    What a shit end to a great game.

And...even taking out the fact that I'm an England supporter, that was never a red - Tuilagi was already committed based on North jumping upwards to get out of Slade's tackle. North was unsuccessful, and if Tuilagi hadn't turned he would've clotheslined him (and probably taken his head off at that speed). There's literally nothing he could've done to avoid collision with the head even though it was neither dangerous play nor malicious. Just shit circumstances.

While we're on that, though...the ref's criteria for the length of an advantage appeared to be "as long as Wales need it to be", and his entire team seemed to be asleep for all of Wales' lineouts - not a single one was straight, as evidenced by the one that Itoje got pinged for - if he had to move so far over to get to the ball that he was in danger of colliding with one of their players, then the ball was obviously not straight!
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited March 2020
    What a shit end to a great game.

And...even taking out the fact that I'm an England supporter, that was never a red - Tuilagi was already committed based on North jumping upwards to get out of Slade's tackle.

Disagree. That was red - reckless and dangerous - even Sir Clive Woodward said it was a red card.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3049
    edited March 2020
    Biggar got flattened by a no arms tackle in the first minute. This set the tone for the game. A lot of illegal high tackling by England. 
    I didn’t expect Wales to win, and England’s defence was so strong. 

Btw: RIP Matthew Watkins, a great player.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom