The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 2065
    edited March 2020
    Biggar got flattened by a no arms tackle in the first minute. This set the tone for the game. A lot of illegal high tackling by England. 
    I didn’t expect Wales to win, and England’s defence was so strong. 

Btw: RIP Matthew Watkins, a great player.
    Just watched that opening tackle on Biggar. To be honest it was a shocker. 2 players blasting in with no arms and on the high side. Surprised that nothing was looked at there. Many of the other high tackle decisions were a bit "meh" for me. I'd be happier if tackling above the waist were to be outlawed completely rather than current ambiguity. Tuilagi hit was a little reckless rather than high for so a yellow for me.

Eng were deserved winners but I'm happy that Wales strung a few decent phases together to score. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The top story tonight  on Wails on Line is that somebody grabbed Alun Wyn Jones penis in a ruck. 
    History never changes  you never beat the Welsh you've just scored more points then them.    :s  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The top story tonight  on Wails on Line is that somebody grabbed Alun Wyn Jones penis in a ruck. 
    History never changes  you never beat the Welsh you've just scored more points then them.    :s  
    We’re talking about rugby here. I  can’t really take a post by someone with bigot and Wales hater Rod Liddle as their profile pic seriously. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    The top story tonight  on Wails on Line is that somebody grabbed Alun Wyn Jones penis in a ruck. 
    We’re talking about rugby here. I  can’t really take a post by someone with bigot and Wales hater Rod Liddle as their profile pic seriously. 

It was Joe Marler ... ITV showed it ..  :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1459
    Gareth Thomas’s quip was priceless
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    rsvmark said:
    Gareth Thomas’s quip was priceless
    Absolutely!
  • tbmtbm Frets: 586
    Thought it was a red. Thought the opening tackle on Biggar wasn’t legal either. There’s lot of niggle in England’s game atm, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it’s been straying into illegality a fair bit, and not being punished. Entertaining game though. Given how crap England made Ireland look the last day out, Wales did well. 

Marler is some boy.....

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    Getting interesting at Murrayfield... 
    6N title race opens up.
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    The scrums so far are making me think that union needs league style clock stopping until it's ready to be fed.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16469
    the French need to say to the Scots that they are helping the English out.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    I think Wales were worth a bonus losing point. LOL at the “British” press saying the score flattered Wales because they scored twice while England were down to 13. Duh, that’s the whole point of penalising persistent infringement and dangerous play. 
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11717
    I think Wales were worth a bonus losing point. LOL at the “British” press saying the score flattered Wales because they scored twice while England were down to 13. Duh, that’s the whole point of penalising persistent infringement and dangerous play. 

If you are going to penalise persistent infringement, do it to both sides.  Wales gave away loads of penalties in the first half - far more than England did in the run up to Genge getting yellow - but they didn't get a yellow.

If the Tuilagi one was a red, then the rules need tweaking.  The player was going down because of the Slade tackle when Tuilagi was already committed.  If a player is going down in that situation, then it shouldn't be a red card.  You have to give defenders a chance.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    Tuilagi was lucky he wasn’t pinged in the first 3 minutes. Good job he grew some arms for his try. 
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2020
    crunchman said:

If you are going to penalise persistent infringement, do it to both sides.  Wales gave away loads of penalties in the first half - far more than England did in the run up to Genge getting yellow - but they didn't get a yellow.

In the match that I saw, England gave away more penalties in both halves.

https://i.imgur.com/PyjWsNL.jpg 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/six-nations/2020/0307/1120874-wyn-jones-calls-on-world-rugby-to-act-over-marler-grab/

I hope the Citing Officer takes note of this incident and acts.  Not what you want or expect to see on the Rugby field.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1459
    AWJ is not exactly a wall flower and has been known to be abrasive from time to time. Glass houses....
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    crunchman said:

If the Tuilagi one was a red, then the rules need tweaking.  The player was going down because of the Slade tackle when Tuilagi was already committed.  If a player is going down in that situation, then it shouldn't be a red card.  You have to give defenders a chance.

I'm an England fan. It was red. The rules don't need tweaking. Former international referee, Jonathan Kaplan said "simply put, it was a no-arms tackle - i.e. a shoulder charge - where first contact was made to the head of the ball carrier, Wales’ George North. That is automatically a red card, with mitigation not considered.

"On the replays you can see how Tuilagi actually tucks his right arm close to his body, which makes it impossible to even attempt to wrap it in the tackle. That ensures he is in serious trouble, and once he makes contact with North’s head a red card is inevitable.

"As I say, mitigation was not considered due to the nature of the tackle, but you could see that Tuilagi may have been caught out slightly by the fact North dipped shortly before contact was made as he was tackled by Henry Slade. If Tuilagi had been trying to wrap his arms that might have saved him, but as it was a no-arms tackle he had to go."

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    rsvmark said:
    AWJ is not exactly a wall flower and has been known to be abrasive from time to time. Glass houses....
    I am not suggesting that AWJ is an angel but dirty nasty acts on the playing field cannot be allowed to go unpunished. This applies to everyone who plays sport. It is easier now, thanks to all the video evidence etc and the existence of citing officers, to punish transgressions. Nobody should be above the Laws of the game. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    As the laws of the game stand Tuilagi should have got a red card. I do think, however, that law should be considered for amendment in cases where the player being hit has lowered his head to a certain degree.

If the "assailant" has tried to make a legal tackle at what was a reasonable height but has made contact with the opponent's head due to that opponent's late and unpredictable movement then maybe a red card isn't the correct punishment.

But as far as no-arms tackles are concerned, off you go.